ECTAD Country Team Leader
Various Locations (Various)
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality.
Persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations
depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
- Liaise with the national Government, development partners, multi-lateral agencies and national and international nongovernmental organizations, and the private sector in all matters related to high impact emerging and re-emerging zoonotic and non-zoonotic disease (rEIDs) prevention and control programmes, under the guidance and with support of the FAOR.
- Advise the FAOR and beneficiary government on technical and policy matters related to high impact transboundary animal diseases (TADs) and zoonoses in close collaboration with the sub-regional Animal Production and Health officer.
- Prepare appropriate country strategies and programmes for the management of TADs and rEIDs in close collaboration with the beneficiary government, and in line with the country priority framework (CPF), the FAOâs Strategic Programs (SPs), and the UNDAP II framework.
- Contribute towards the development and implementation of the FAO country programme and ensure smooth integration of ECTAD activities within the FAOâs broader country programme under the FAO Representation.
- Supervise and coordinate the preparation of project work plans, timely provision of inputs, implementation of various capacity development activities, and liaison with responsible officers at national and sub-national levels for smooth coordination and delivery of FAO-implemented projects.
- Actively engage in resource mobilization efforts including preparation of concept notes and project proposals to expand animal health related projects that are identified as priorities by the government, with the advice and support of the FAOR and leveraging existing funds.
- Maintain links with the established national networks on diagnosis and epidemiology to exchange and share technical information particularly related to priority and high impact zoonotic and non-zoonotic diseases.
- Provide leadership, supervision and managerial support to the ECTAD country team members;
- Support One Health capacity and platforms through enhancing collaboration and coordination with the public health, wildlife, environment, education, and other relevant sectors with respect to zoonotic diseases and antimicrobial resistance/use (AMR/U) using existing and new tools and guidelines.
- Conduct regular field missions in the country to monitor and ensure smooth implementation of project activities.
- Coordinate emergency preparedness and rapid response activities in the country in close collaboration with CMC-Animal Health and ECTAD regional and country teams.
- Provide technical support for the publication of inputs generated from ECTAD country and regional project activities.
- Provide regular updates of TADs epidemiology situation in the country; and provide immediate notification to GLEWS of any significant epidemiological events.
- Coordinate preparation of country reports and briefs as required by the government, FAO and donors and submit a final technical report upon completion of the assignment.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Advanced university degree in veterinary science and relevant post-graduate qualification in emerging and re-emerging infectious diseases (both zoonotic and non-zoonotic), veterinary epidemiology, diagnostics or related fields;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in the management and implementation of infectious disease control programmes preferably in developing countries;
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field position is desirable
- Extent and relevance of experience at international level
- Experience in managing multidisciplinary teams and projects at international level
- Ability to write briefs and reports according to donors requirements
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines
- Familiarity with the FAO policies, programmes and systems is desirable
- Based on requirements, competencies and skills.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO,
- FAO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing).
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- Only language proficiency certificates from UN accredited external providers and/or FAO language official examinations (LPE, ILE, LRT) will be accepted as proof of the level of knowledge of languages indicated in the online applications.
- Candidates with acceptable language certificate/s should upload them when submitting their application. For details, visit http\://www.fao.org/3/I8446EN/i8446en.pdf
- For other issues, visit the FAO employment website\: http\://www.fao.org/employment/home/en/
- For further information on categories, contract duration and honoraria, please refer to the Conditions page.
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT
- Organization: FAO - Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
- Location: Various Locations (Various)
- Grade: Consultant - Contractors Agreement - Consultancy
- Managerial positions
- Closing Date: 2018-10-12