New York City (United States of America)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world.
The Communications and Advocacy Section supports the positioning of women’s empowerment and gender equality as key issues on the international agenda and establishes UN Women’s role as the global authority in this context.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Communications & Media Specialist, the Media Consultant (proficient in English and French) will be responsible for the following:
- Provide regular media- specific support in the implementation of the organization’s communication strategy:
- Ensure effective media relations with the news media (international, national and regional) to help position UN Women to achieve its strategic goals;
- Plan, organize and implement effective media outreach and placement for Executive Director, Deputy Executive Director(s) and other senior officials, at HQ and during their travels, including media interviews and press conferences, with special focus on French-speaking media;
- Produce high-quality media talking points and briefing notes for senior management, within a tight deadline, in a timely manner on a regular basis;
- Ensuring adequate visibility and communications support to high-profile UN Women HQ events such as report launches, CSW63, IWD 2019 at and thematic priorities
- Organize and coordinate press conferences; interviews with senior managers and thematic focal points on a regular basis;
- Ensure clear, consistent and timely responses to media inquiries;
- Expand corporate contacts with media and print journalists, groups, organizations and media outlets (audio, visual, electronic); topics, background information, news-related developments and coverage of interest to each identified.
- Develop high-quality public information materials and media-focused content in English, and also in French:
- Produce and write communications materials in a timely manner, including press releases, media advisories, press/media kits; drafted and disseminated to inform media, donors and general public of UN Women programming initiatives, results and successes, and other achievements in English, and as needed in French;
- Edit and support a high volume of press releases and other media materials for thematic and regional colleagues
- Use analytics to measure media engagement and produce media reports and analysis, specially focusing on French media, using Cision PR and other search tools regularly.
- Support the Communications and Advocacy Team and colleagues in the field, as needed, including for social media, publications, website and related needs:
- Serve as the focal point for Francophone, and Africa-based communications colleagues; provide guidance and technical support as needed, on an on-going basis;
- Document success field stories in English and French, in coordination with field offices when needed, for effective outreach to donors, media and other audiences;
- Interview and write stories for the UN Women website, both in English and French
- Edits and proofreads French translations for the UN Women corporate website and publications;
- Working with the Social Media Specialist, provide technical support on social media outreach in French through UN Women corporate accounts of Facebook and Twitter, and other social media platforms, as needed.
- Proven expertise in international media relations, outreach and strategic communications
- Strong writing skills
- Familiarity with women's rights issues and international development
- Familiarity with UN Women and the UN system
- Self-starter; organized; able to multitask and balance multiple responsibilities
Required Skills and Experience
- Master's Degree in Communications, Journalism, International Affairs, or similar
- Fluent in English and French (written and oral)
- 5 years of proven experience in media relations, strategic communications, journalism, and editing
- Familiarity with media database and monitoring tools, such as Cision PR
- Good IT skills, including databases and office software packages.