Procurement Analyst (Infrastructure)
Background Information - Job-specific
In the Panama Office, various types of projects are carried out, such as the remodeling of prisons, technical assistance to the UCIP (Public Infrastructure Coordinating Unit), Operations Projects for the Administration of Funds and Human Resources and the project for the Construction of the Humanitarian Logistics Center, these projects that help all those involved, empowering them with the necessary tools.
The UNOPS Office in Panama is looking for international candidates, local candidates (nationals of Panama) are encouraged to apply, and they will be considered in this process. ** Local candidates (Panamanian nationals) will be considered on a local salary scale.
Under the guidance and direct supervision of the functional supervisor who reports to the Head of Support Services, the Procurement Analyst is responsible for the effective delivery of procurement services reflecting best practices in international public procurement, compliance with UNOPS procurement rules and regulations, appropriate risk management and obtaining the best value for money. He/she analyzes and interprets the respective rules and regulations and provides solutions to a wide range of issues related to procurement.
1. Implements key aspects of operational procurement strategies focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Full compliance of assigned procurement activities with UNOPS rules, regulations, policies and strategies; implementation of the effective internal control, proper design and functioning of a client-oriented procurement management system.
- Implementation of, or support to, the different steps of the procurement processes, including Pre-Purchasing: Strategy and Planning; Requirements Definition; Sourcing; Purchasing: Solicitation; Management of Submissions; Evaluation; Review and Award; Post Purchasing: Contract finalization and issuance; Logistics; and Contract Management.
2. Provides technical support and guidance to procurement processes of the Business Unit, focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Timely and duly prepared elements of procurement plans and monitoring of their implementation of infrastructure process.
- Ensure to follow on embedding sustainability along the infrastructure procurement process.
- Organization of RFQ, ITB or RFP, receipt of quotations, bids or proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with UNOPS rules and regulation.
- Preparation of submissions to the Contract and Property Committees (CPCs).
- Monitoring of contractor performance and certification of completed work for compliance with contractual terms and payment.
- Advice, remedial actions, or solutions to Project Managers on procurement issues.
3. Implementation of sourcing strategy and e-procurement tools focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Development and management of the rosters of suppliers.
- Utilization of-sourcing module in accordance with UNOPS Procurement Group goals and standards in this area.
4. Knowledge Building and Knowledge Sharing
- Organize, facilitate and/or deliver training and learning initiatives for personnel on infrastructure Procurement-related topics.
- Contribute to Procurement knowledge networks and communities of practice by providing collaborative synthesis of lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in infrastructure procurement management.
- Collect feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about infrastructure processes and best practices and utilize productively.
5. Team Management
- Facilitate the engagement and provision of high quality results and services of the team supervised through effective work planning, performance management, coaching, and promotion of learning and development.
- Provide oversight, ensuring compliance by team members with existing policies and best practices.
6. Performs other duties as assigned by supervisor.
3. Monitoring and Progress Controls
Performance Evaluation (PER)
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Advanced university degree (Master's or equivalent) preferably in Procurement and/or Supply Chain Management, Law, Commerce, Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics, engineering or other related field.
- A first-level university degree (Bachelor's or equivalent) Procurement and/or Supply Chain Management, Law, Commerce, Business Administration, Public Administration, Finance, Economics, engineering or other related field with an additional three (3) years of relevant working experience may be considered in lieu of an advanced university degree.
- Having a certification in procurement (example CIPS- the Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply Chain) will be an advantage.
b. Work Experience
- Minimun 1 year (or more according to level of studies) of relevant experience in Procurement of Supply Chain Management.
- Experience in infrastructure procurement process in the public sector and / or international organizations is required.
- Experience in FIDIC contract management. (desirable)
- Experience in the development and / or supervision of infrastructure projects. (desirable)
- Knowledge of UN Procurement Rules and Regulations is distinct advantage.
Fluency in spoken and written English and Spanish is required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement
Contract level: IICA 1/LICA 8
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
Work life harmonization: UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time. 18:00 hours Panama Time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
- Organization: UNOPS - United Nations Office for Project Services
- Location: Panama (Panama)
- Grade: IICA-1, International Individual Contractors Agreement - Junior level
- Infrastructure and Urban-Rural development
- Closing Date: 2019-01-06