UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
In the Europe and Central Asia region, the Regional Office provides support and oversight to seven Country Offices in Albania, Georgia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova and Ukraine. In addition, programme/project presence is directly supported by the RO, in Kosovo, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Serbia, Tajikistan and Turkey. Since it was established in 2014 in Istanbul, UN Women Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia (ECA RO) has established itself as one of the key players in gender equality and women’s empowerment and as a champion for women and girls in the region. Regional communications and advocacy efforts have been an integral part of the office’s positioning in this regard. UN Women ECA RO communications will continue to expand on the successful foundation that it has built over the years.
Reporting to the Regional Communications and Advocacy Specialist, the Communications Analyst is responsible for assisting in the planning and implementation of the Office communications and advocacy strategies to increase awareness about gender equality and women’s empowerment issues in the region and to increase the standing and awareness of UN Women with partners, the media and the public.
The Communications Analyst works in close collaboration with the Programme, Operations and technical teams in ECA RO and in field offices in the region, HQ and field office communications teams, staff of other UN Agencies, Government officials, media, multilateral and bilateral donors and civil society.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide substantive support to the planning and design of external communication and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans
- Support the development, coordination, implementation and monitoring of the Regional Communications and Advocacy Strategy;
- Provide analysis for elaboration of communication strategies;
- Integrate communication, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for regional project/programmes and other initiatives, as necessary;
- Monitor and analyze print and social media and provide analysis to RO/HQ;
- Provide inputs and support to the launch of regional UN Women/ UN system corporate and regional campaigns and special events, ensuring their compliance with the corporate identity and priorities;
- Provide support, oversight and quality assurance into the HeForShe Campaign in Turkey.
- Coordinate and contribute substantively to the development and dissemination of advocacy materials in the region
- Draft briefing materials, and press releases and coordinate its dissemination through effective channels;
- Identify and develop stories and articles for the regional website;
- Produce multimedia content, including infographics, video, photos etc. to support ECA RO advocacy and visibility in the region;
- Develop and design the quarterly newsletter and disseminate regionally to partners;
- Promote and disseminate corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives, publications, and campaigns;
- Coordinate the translation/adaption/rewriting of information received, printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
- Follow guidelines from HQ.
- Provide support to the coordination of media relations for ECA RO
- Coordinate the establishment of relevant relationships;
- Maintain list of relevant media in the region;
- Maintain email list of partners in the region for distribution of quarterly newsletter;
- Respond to inquiries for public and UN system information materials;
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences and briefing session for press, as required;
- Draft talking points.
- Build and maintain partnerships
- Maintain relationships with partners and alliances to enhance visibility;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors, as delegated.
- Coordinate the ECA RO web/ online presence
- Coordinate and regularly update ECA RO website content and maintenance based on corporate requirements;
- Coordinate and daily update ECA RO social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy;
- Liaise with field offices to compile success stories, results etc. to be published on social media platforms;
- Upload information to knowledge management system on a regular basis, including news, updates, resources.
- Facilitate knowledge building and sharing
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned in the region;
- Organize and conduct training and workshops on communication and advocacy, as appropriate.
Key Performance Indicators
- Timely monitoring of current events and trends
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content
- Timely updating of website and social media
- Timely dissemination of materials as shown by knowledge of UN Women’s activities in the region
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
- Ability to communicate sensitively, effectively and creatively across different constituencies
- Knowledge of web-based management systems
- Knowledge of production, graphic design and photography standards
- Knowledge of social media platforms and experience in social media outreach
- Knowledge of media landscape in the region
- Communication, networking and advocacy skills
- Ability to be strategic and analytical
Knowledge of gender and human rights issues desirable
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in communications, public relations, journalism or relevant field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 1 year of professional work experience at national or international level in public relations, communications or advocacy;
- Experience in the use of social media, multi-media and digital platforms;
- Experience in writing and editing in English, including articles, reports, social media content, press releases;
- Experience in gender issues is an asset.
- Fluency in Turkish and English is required;
- Working knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.