Home Based - May require travel (Home Based)
Background Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) manages an open data platform – the Humanitarian Data Exchange (HDX). Launched in July 2014, the goal of HDX is to make humanitarian data easy to find and use for analysis.
The HDX platform is based on CKAN and includes: a dataset repository for sharing data amongst a globally distributed community; data visualization and geodata preview functionality to understand the data within the platform; and an emerging data standards infrastructure for the Humanitarian Exchange Language (HXL).
Data on HDX is shared by organizations through manual upload of files and programmatically through APIs. Data can be shared openly, privately with an organization’s membership or by request. The platform includes more than 6,500 datasets from over 340 organizations. Once data is in HDX, the Data Team works with organizations to create visualizations to help users gain insight.
HDX requires an experienced AWS Dev/Ops Engineer with the technical skills to work with the existing Dev/Ops team and the wider HDX team to create an optimised environment on AWS for the HDX platform.
Under the overall direction of the Head of the Centre for Humanitarian Data based in the Hague, the consultant will report to Head of the Data Systems Team in Geneva and will work closely with the HDX Product Manager and the HDX dev team. The consultant will also liaise closely with the entire HDX team to deliver the necessary services to partners.
Background Information - Job-specific
Within the framework of the Centre and HDX’s Objectives and Key Results, the consultant will be responsible for the following:
- Taking account of the existing HDX environment, help deploy a new AWS based system collaborate with existing DevOps team to integrate with the existing HDX stack as necessary.
- Configure the AWS systems in a way that is both highly secure but also efficient in terms of resources used.
- Train the existing Dev/Ops team in the configuring of AWS.
- Present work to technical and non-technical audiences.
- Participate in team meetings as required.
- Test infrastructure for fast upload and automatic detection of sensitive data.
- Designs for a secure infrastructure where partners can work to de-risk data before it is shared with anyone.
- Training & documentation to ensure skills transfer to existing team so they can safely and securely deploy and control infrastructure.
- Informing the wider HDX team about the range of Amazon services available and advising on their purpose and usage where needed.
MSc. in mathematics, physics, engineering, computer science, or related discipline. A first-level university degree in combination with additional two years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Five years DevOps experience with minimum of 2 years using Amazon Web Services.
LanguageFluency in English is required (both oral and written). Knowledge of another UN official language is an advantage.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: International ICA Contract level: IICA-2/LICA-10/ICSC-10
Contract duration: 3 months (with possible extension)
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC)
Based in New York, the Sustainable Development Cluster (SDC) supports diverse partners with their peacebuilding, humanitarian and development operations.
The SDC’s services include grants management, development and special initiatives support, and technology support to the UN and UN agencies.
The SDC is part of the New York Service Cluster that supports the United Nations Secretariat, as well as a broadening community of other New York-based United Nations organizations, bilateral and multilateral partners in the delivery of UNOPS mandate in project management, infrastructure management, and procurement management.