UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
UN Women Regional Office for the Europe and Central Asia (ECA) region was established in Istanbul, Turkey, at the beginning of 2014 as a part of the UN Women’s new regional architecture. Much progress has been made since the establishment, but at the same time, the Regional Office faces high expectations and demands from partners at both regional and country levels as well as from UN Women Field Offices. To this end, UN Women ECA Regional Office (RO) would like to bring on board an intern to provide substantive support to regional operations and initiatives, particularly in relation to UN Women’s work on issues related to the normative work of the Regional Office.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Finance Specialist, the Finance Intern supports the Fincance team by performing a variety of standard administrative processes ensuring high quality and accuracy of work. The intern will learn client, quality and results-oriented approach.
The Finance Intern works in close collaboration with the programme and projects staff and the Finance team to ensure consistent service delivery. The intern is expected to support in undertaking the following specific tasks:
- Filing, Printing and other related administrative support for Finance Vouchers & documents
- Preparation of Payment Request Forms
- Entering Voucher Request/Process Records in Finance Transaction Tracking Table
- Support for Audit Preparation in means of filing
- Support of documents relating to the phone invoices.
- General support and help if required
- Increased understanding of UN Women’s work and the UN system
- Learning different aspects of finance and accounting in an international environment
- Increased knowledge of issues related to financial management
- Meeting and networking with UN Women interns and colleagues in other units
- Work as a team member in a multicultural setting
- Quality organization of files and reports;
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: http://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-employment-values-and-competencies-definitions-en.pdf
- Excellent research, writing, and organizational skills;
- Ability to work with different actors, including through remote contact;
- Ability to multi-task and address competing priorities;
- Ability to produce high-quality deliverables in a timely manner;
- Ability to work effectively in independent and collaborative settings;
- Ability to take initiatives, ask questions, and contribute substantively;
- Strong computer skills, including Word, Excel, and Power Point.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- The intern must have studies in Finance, Accounting or other similar subject at the university level.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation
- Experience in finance or accounting is an asset
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.).
- Fluency in English is required.
- Knowledge of Turkish language is an asset.
- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
Application Information – Conditions and Policy ??
- UN Women will only be able to respond to those applications in which there is further interest.
- Selected applicants must provide the internship application, two letters of recommendation, proof of health insurance and school enrollment, passport, and visa (if applicable)
In July 2010, the United nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), which focused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment
UN Women Internship Policy:
1) Applicants to the United Nations internship programme must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
(a) Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
(b) Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent);
(c) Have graduated with a university degree (as (b) above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within one year.
2) UN Women internship programme does not provide a salary or remuneration for the internship;
3) All the expenses connected with the internship will be borne by the intern, sponsoring Government or institution;
4) UN Women accepts no responsibility for costs arising from accidents and/or illness or death incurred during the internship;
5) The intern is responsible for obtaining necessary visas and arranging travel to and from the duty station where the internship will be performed;
6) Interns are not eligible to apply for, or be appointed to, any post in UN WOMEN during the period of the internship or for six months immediately following the expiration date of internship;
7) The intern must provide proof of enrollment in a health insurance plan, proof of school enrollment, a scanned copy of his/her passport, two letters of recommendation, and application.