Programme Assistant (Child Protection), GS 5, Kuala Lumpur/Putrajaya, Malaysia (Malaysian Only) #64971
Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia)
UNICEF Malaysia is searching for a Program Assistant to support the Child Protection Unit. The incumbent will be reporting to the Chief of Child Protection and supporting a few other Officers in the unit.
The fundamental mission of UNICEF is to promote the rights of every child, everywhere, in everything the organization does in programs, in advocacy and in operations. The equity strategy, emphasizing the most disadvantaged and excluded children and families, translates this commitment to children's rights into action. For UNICEF, equity means that all children have an opportunity to survive, develop and reach their full potential, without discrimination, bias or favoritism. To the degree that any child has an unequal chance in life in its social, political, economic, civic and cultural dimensions her or his rights are violated. There is growing evidence that investing in the health, education and protection of a society's most disadvantaged citizens addressing inequity not only will give all children the opportunity to fulfill their potential but also will lead to sustained growth and stability of countries. This is why the focus on equity is so vital. It accelerates progress towards realizing the human rights of all children, which is the universal mandate of UNICEF, as outlined by the Convention on the Rights of the Child, while also supporting the equitable development of nations.
Job organizational context: The Generic Job Profile for the Programme Assistant at the G-5 level is to be used in a UNICEF country office, in any of the programme sections. The Program Assistant reports to the Chief of Child Protection (#68521) for guidance and general provision.
Purpose for the job: Under the close supervision and guidance of the supervisor, the programme assistant supports the respective section through providing a range of procedural, administrative, operational support in developing, implementing, executing and monitoring their country programme, ensuring timely and effective delivery that is consistent with UNICEF rules and regulations.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- Support the implementation of the rolling work plan and other related programme activities and events in collaboration with the assigned programme staff - including drafting of letters, minutes, etc, communication with key partners and support for meetings, consultations and events.
- Assist and support consultants, experts and others during consultancies, missions, visits, etc. including desk review/ research.
- Assist in the preparation of contracts for national and international consultants with the guidance of programme team.
- Provide the required admin and technical support to assigned programme staff for managing contracts, DCTs, PCAs, SSFAs, CRC submissions and other office procedures - including HACT compliance.
- Support assigned programme staff with VISION related inputs, and monitoring budget.
- General administrative and logistic support for managing filing, schedules, and other office-based tasks for the programme team.
Impact of Results
UNICEF Malaysia and Government of Malaysia's Country Programme aims at assisting the fulfilment of the rights of children in Malaysia children, and ensure they are able to maximize their potential to contribute to the development of the nation as part of the global community. Effective and efficient management of the listed tasks will support the programme team to track progress towards achievement of results and ensure coordination within the office and with external partners.
Competencies and level of proficiency required
- Diversity and inclusion
- Communication (I)
- Working with people (II)
- Drive for results (I)
- Analyzing (I)
- Learning & Researching (I)
- Planning and organizing (I)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (I)
- Completion of secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible administrative or clerical work experience is required.
- Fluency in English and Bahasa Malaysia is required.
- The remuneration for the above position may be access through UN Salaries Website as follows: http://www.un.org/Depts/OHRM/salaries_allowances/salaries/malaysia.htm (subject to mandatory deductions for pension contributions and health insurance, as applicable) and other benefits including 30 days of annual leave, mobile allowance, and dependency allowances for dependent family members.
- Pension – staff members with six or more months of contract duration will be participants of the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund. The pensionable remuneration, will be subject to a 7.9% deduction as a staff’s contribution. The Organization pays a contribution equivalent to 15.8% of a staff’s pensionable remuneration to the fund on his behalf. On separation with less than five years of service, the staff’s contribution will be refunded with interest. Website: www.unjspf.org
- All eligible Malaysians are encouraged to apply.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. UNICEF only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: http://www.whed.net/. Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- UNICEF is committed to workforce diversity and encourages all qualified male and female applicants to apply within its workforce and from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.