The UNDP Country Office in Kazakhstan launches the opportunity to conduct an internship in its central offices in Nur-Sultan. The position is open to current graduate level students and recent graduates from diverse academic backgrounds. This is an opportunity of directly experiencing development work run by UNDP in the country. The internship is designed to complement development-oriented studies with practical experience in various professional aspects. Interns are not financially remunerated by UNDP.
UNDP partners with people at all levels of society to help build nations that can withstand crisis, and driveand sustain the kind of growth that improves the quality of life for everyone. On the ground in nearly 170countries and territories, we offer a global perspective and local insight to help empower lives and buildresilient nations. Over the past 25 years of cooperation with the government of Kazakhstan, UNDP has implemented up to 200 projects and assisted the country in preparing key national and regional policy documents, institutionalization and capacity building, enhancing efficiency of public institutions, strengthening human right institutions, bridging social inequalities, promoting energy efficiency and protecting the environment. UNDP is currently implementing 29 projects within Kazakhstan. A central element of UNDP’s work is the support to the implementation of the Agenda 2030 and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) helping Kazakhstan achieve the transition to sustainable development. We promote sustainable and inclusive growth by by combining policy support with targeted development assistance to the country’s most vulnerable groups and communities while advancing gender equality and principles of zero tolerance to harassment, sexual harassment and abuse. UNDP is running a programme that is working in three main areas: Governance, Sustainable Development and Regional Cooperation (Programme section). The work of the programme is enabled by a dynamic Operations section that runs procurement, human resources, administrative and financial services. This call for application is in any of these sections and their respective subunits. The intern will therefore, coordinate his/ her work with the respective head of unit or delegated staff member and will closely work with other programmes/ projects or units in performing his/her functions.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
Under the overall guidance of the supervisor and in close collaboration with the country office team, the Intern contributes to the effective implementation of country office strategies and unit plans.
Tasks will/may include but not limited to:
- Provide support to the Supervisor on day-to-day coordination/ implementation and special projects management;
- Support research and analysis in relevant areas including in preparation of reports, factsheets, news articles, press releases etc. in English and/or Russian/ Kazakh;
- Support the development and appropriate use of communication and advocacy tools;
- Support the development, organization and management of meetings and special events;
- Draft briefs, background notes and other communication materials in the area of assignment;
- Support colleagues across the organization on various programme and operations issues;
- Support partnerships-building, working closely with the Supervisor in establishing and maintaining relations with key partners;
- Provide other ad hoc support as required.
The intern will produce concrete deliverables within the scope of the specific department/ programme/ or project workplan and relevant document, contributing to the implementation of the Country Office’s relevant strategy.
- Demonstrates keen interest in the work of the UN, and of UNDP in particular;
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- Understanding of UN/UNDP mandates, activities, and sustainable development principles;
- Strong research organizational skills and ability to collect, extract, interpret and analyze data and information;
- Basic knowledge of contemporary international development paradigms and methods;
- Understanding of official development assistance specifics in a local context in Kazakhstan;
- Strong organization skills, ability to arrange and manage meetings and events with relevant stakeholders;
- Ability to produce deliverables conforming to established standards;
- Ability to prioritize tasks independently with possible time constraints and work load;
- Has the willingness to approach development tasks with a creative attitude;
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude, pro-activity;
- Ability to support or work with a team.
Required Skills and Experience
- Qualified/suitable level from the field of ICTs, communications, sustainable development, social science, Public Relations, Management, Economics, Business Administration, Public Administration, International Relations or other with the following academic qualifications:
- enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher);
- enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree (minimum bachelor’s level or equivalent);
- graduated with a university degree as defined in (a) and (b) above and, if selected, must start the internship within one year after the graduation.
- Familiar with international development/relations desirable;
- Familiarity with the UN system in general and/or with development cooperation in particular is an asset;
- Academic research within a relevant specific element is an asset;
- Excellent oral and writing skill is required;
- Competent user of Windows environment (MS Word, Excel, etc).
- Proficiency in English, working level of Russian and/ or Kazakh is a strong asset.