Programme Analyst – EVAW (Thai national only)
UN Women grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women’s rights at the centre of all its efforts, UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
Safe & Fair: Realizing women migrant workers’ rights and opportunities in the ASEAN region (2018/2022) (“Safe and Fair”), is part of the EU-UN Spotlight Initiative to eliminate violence against women and girls, a global, multi-year initiative between the European Union and United Nations. Safe & Fair is implemented through a partnership between the ILO and UN Women with the overriding objective of ensuring that labour migration is safe and fair for all women in the ASEAN region. The project aims to address women migrant workers’ vulnerabilities to violence and trafficking, strengthen rights-based and gender-responsive approaches to violence against women and labour migration governance and support access to essential services.
Women are increasingly migrating for work within the ASEAN region, and today close to half of all migrant workers in the region are women. However, women have fewer options than men for regular migration, and are often channeled into lower paid informal sector work with few if any labour protections. Due to gender inequalities and discrimination, women are particularly vulnerable to violence and trafficking, and services for survivors of violence often do not meet their needs.
Safe & Fair will be implemented in the ASEAN region, in countries of origin (Cambodia, Indonesia, Lao PDR, Myanmar, Philippines, Vietnam) and countries of destination (Brunei Darussalam, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand), working with women migrant workers, ASEAN Member States’ government authorities, ASEAN institutions, and worker, employer, civil society and community-based organizations.
Safe & Fair works in close cooperation with governments and social partners to achieve three inter-linking specific objectives: (1) Women migrant workers are better protected by gender-sensitive labour migration governance frameworks; (2) Women migrant workers are less vulnerable to violence and trafficking and benefit from coordinated responsive quality services; and (3) Data, knowledge and attitudes on the rights and contributions of women migrant workers are improved.
About the Position
Reporting to the Representative/ Deputy Representative and the UN Women Programme Specialist, the Programme Analyst contributes to the effective management of UN Women programming under Safe and Fair, providing substantive inputs to programme design, formulation, implementation and evaluation. S/he guides and facilitates the delivery of the Safe and Fair project by monitoring results achieved during implementation and ensuring appropriate application of systems and procedures and develops enhancements if necessary. She/he works in close collaboration with the programme and operations team, UN Women RO staff, ILO staff at the national level, Government officials, multi and bi-lateral donors and civil society ensuring successful UN Women implementation under the Safe and Fair portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute technically to the development of programme strategies in the area of Ending Violence against Women (EVAW), migration, trafficking and access to essential services
- Provide substantive inputs to the design, formulation and implementation of the project Safe & Fair: Realizing women migrant workers’ rights and opportunities in the ASEAN region (2018/2022);
- Identify areas for support and intervention related to the programme;
- Ensure sound project arrangements and implementation and effective management.
- Identify opportunities for intervention and elaborate country context policy recommendations related to ending violence against Women (EVAW), migration, trafficking and access to essential services
- Provide substantive technical support to the implementation and management of Project Safe & Fair, with a focus on Objectives 2 and 3
- Provide technical inputs to the annual workplan and budget;
- Lead the implementation of programme activities;
- Lead the coordination of the call/request for proposals, including the organization of technical review committees, and capacity assessment of partners;
- Review, coordinate and monitor the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
- Train partners on Results Based Management and monitor implementation;
- Ensure the coordination with implementing partners, UN Women and ILO Country Offices, UN Women and ILO Regional Offices (including technical consultants);
- Ensure proper operational, financial and administrative management in the projects, as well as adherence to all UN Women rules and procedures.
- Provide technical assistance and capacity development to project/programme partners
- Coordinate and provide technical support in the implementation of programme activities;
- Maintain relationships with national partners from civil society and government to support implementation and expansion of the Project Safe and Fair;
- Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and facilitate technical/ programming support and trainings to partners, as needed.
- Provide technical inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the programme/ project
- Monitor progress of implementation of activities and finances using results based management tools and identify operational and financial problems and develop solutions;
- Draft reports on monitoring missions, programme results, outputs and outcomes;
- Participate and provide support to the organization of national and regional consultations organized by UN Women- Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific in cooperation with its Country Offices and ILO, as needed;
- Provide substantive inputs to the preparation of donor and UN Women reports;
- Provide substantive technical inputs to the management of people and finances of the Project Safe and Fair
- Monitor budget implementation and make budget re-alignments/ revisions, as necessary;
- Provide substantive inputs to financial reports;
- Supervise Programme Assistant on project work / operational / budget / procurement plans with the related detailed budget allocations for projects implementation to ensure timely and appropriate preparation and arrangement.
- Provide substantive inputs to building partnerships and resource mobilization strategies
- Provide substantive inputs to resource mobilization strategies; analyze and maintain information and databases;
- Contribute to the identification of potential implementing partners and support the process of creation of partnerships;
- Prepare relevant documentation such as project summaries, conference papers, briefing notes, speeches, and donor profiles;
- Participate in donor meetings and public information events, as delegated;
- Prepare meeting minutes and ensure appropriate follow-up actions.
- Provide technical support to inter-agency coordination on EVAW, migration, trafficking and access to essential services to achieve coherence and alignment of UN Women programmes with other partners in the country
- Provide substantive technical support to the Representative, Deputy Representative, Head of Office, and Regional Office on inter-agency coordination related activities by drafting background reports, and briefs;
- Prepare meeting minutes and ensure appropriate follow-up actions.
- Provide substantive inputs to advocacy, knowledge building and communication efforts
- Develop background documents, speeches, talking points, briefs and presentations related to access to essential services of WMWs and victims of human trafficking;
- Coordinate and organize advocacy campaigns, events, consultations, trainings, workshops and knowledge products;
- Coordinate the development of knowledge management methodologies, and products on access to essential services of WMWs and victims of trafficking.
Key Performance Indicators
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification: