The European Union (EU) and the United Nations (UN) are embarking on a new, global, multi-year initiative focused on eliminating all forms of violence against women and girls (VAWG) - the Spotlight Initiative (SI).
The Spotlight Initiative in Timor-Leste will be implemented through five UN agencies (UN Women, UNFPA, UNDP, UNICEF, and ILO) with a focus on addressing intimate partner violence and domestic violence. The overall vision of the Spotlight Initiative in Timor-Leste is that women and girls enjoy their right to a life free of violence, within an inclusive and gender equitable Timor-Leste. This contributes to implementation of Timor-Leste’s National Action Plan on Gender Based Violence (2017-2021), with attention to holistic prevention and responses to violence against women and girls.
UNDP in Timor-Leste has led the United Nations’ effort to develop and consolidate democratic governance institutions, systems and processes to make them more inclusive and responsive the since 2002. Since then, UNDP has been supporting government efforts to strengthening key governing institutions of oversight, accountability, local development, electoral support and rule of law. The Programme offers support to policy design and implementation as well as capacity development on national level, as well as to enable more effective service delivery on local level.
Under the direct supervision of UNDP Programme Officer for the Spotlight Initiative, the Programme Assistant works with and provides support to the members of the Spotlight Initiative Team in the development and implementation of effective programmes consistent with consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. S/he contributes to research, financial management, and programme implementation including providing necessary operational, administrative and programmatic support. The Programme Assistant works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and project staff in the Spotlight Initiative and UNDP HQ as required to exchange information and support programme delivery.
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support to management of the Spotlight Initiative programme
- Administrative support
- Support to resource mobilization
- Support to knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Provides effective support to management of the Spotlight Initiative programme focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Provide programme and administrative support to the UNDP Spotlight Initiative team in the preparation of various programme documents, such as work plans, budgets, reports and proposals on programme implementation arrangements.
- Under the guidance of the supervisor, assemble briefing materials and prepare power-point and other presentations for the programme unit.
- Identify sources, gather and compile data and information for the preparation of documents, guidelines, and other material as required.
- Assist the programme team in reviewing and preparing documentation on the procurement of goods and services, and support contract tracking.
- Help the team in providing guidance to the country office on routine implementation of the project, tracking use of financial resources.
- Creation of projects in Atlas, preparation of budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial closure of a project.
- Presentation of information for audit of NEX projects.
- Preparation of non-PO vouchers for development projects.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system including timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas for development projects, register of goods receipt in Atlas.
- Making budget check for requisitions, POs and vouchers.
- Organize, compile and process information from the donor as well as from the programme team and keep track of the information through databases and e-filing.
- Support the programme team in the tracking of and reporting on mobilized resources.
2. Provides administrative support to the Spotlight Initiative Programme focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Provide administrative support to the programme team in the organization of events, meetings and workshops, etc.
- Make travel arrangements for the programme team and project staff, including preparation of travel requisitions and claims.
- Draft non-substantive correspondence.
- Maintain and organize up-to-date hard and electronic files for easy access and retrieval. Ensure safekeeping of confidential materials.
- Create and maintain files of correspondence/documents and electronically received information and ensure up-to- date filing. Maintain both hardcopies and electronic copies of the office records and reference files on various subjects.
- Prepare presentation material/slides in Power-point for presentations for the meetings/workshops and keep all papers ready for meetings.
3. Supports resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Review of contributions agreement, managing contributions in Atlas.
4. Supports knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participation in the trainings for the operations/ projects staff on programme.
- Contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
- Facilitate the exchange of information with relevant stakeholders for UNDP working on EVAW under the Spotlight Initiative;
- Effectively coordinate with sister UN agencies’ offices for matters related to the project implementation.
Impact of Results:
- Accurate data entry and financial information have an impact on the quality and implementation of the UNDP Spotlight Initiative programme. A client-oriented and efficient approach impact on the image of UNDP in the country.
Level 1.1: Support the preparation of information for advocacy
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.1: Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.1: Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.1: Research and analysis
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Establishes, builds and sustains effective relationships within the work unit and with internal and external clients
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Prince2 training and certification, RMG
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education preferably with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance. University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 5 years for secondary education and 2 years for University degree of relevant administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level.
- Work experience in the usage of MS Excel, spreadsheet and database packages, experience in working with ATLAS is an advantage.
- Work experience within the UN system is an asset. Experience working on a European Union project is an asset.
- Strong writing and communication skills in English
- Fluency in Tetum (national language of the duty station).
- Knowledge of Portuguese and Indonesian is an advantage.
Open Day to apply
In order to facilitate the application process for potential candidates, the youth centre Knua Juventude Fila Liman will open its doors to interested individuals to apply for the position on November 8th and 15th (both days are on Friday). Laptops, access to internet and support to complete the application process will be provided to candidates from 9am to 12pm and from 1:30pm to 5:30pm on both days.
Address: Pateo Plaza, Dili
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.