Officer – Health and Nutrition, Research - North Horr
Concern Worldwide is an international non-governmental humanitarian organization dedicated to the reduction of suffering and working towards the ultimate elimination of extreme poverty in the world’s poorest countries.
Applications are invited from suitably qualified Kenyan nationals for the following position:
Job Title: Officer – Health and Nutrition, Research
Reports to: Manager H&N North Horr and technically to principal investigator
Direct reports: None
Job Location: North Horr, Marsabit
Eleven Months (11 Months) Fixed Term Renewable Contract Subject to Availability of Funds and Performance
Starting Salary of the Pay Grade – Kes 99,197 per month
Hardship Allowance for Marsabit Non Residents
Group Medical Cover (Principal + 2 Dependants)
To provide technical leadership, guidance and training as well as providing hands on support to Ministry of Health (MoH), and community groups in the implementation of an operations research in North Horr of Marsabit County.
Main Duties & Responsibilities:
Programme Management and Development:
· Lead the implementation of the research work plan in coordination with the project teams
· Liaising with the local and county level with SHMT, Marsabit County Officials, and Health Facility Management Teams to enhance coordination and collaboration in program implementation and sustainability.
· Provide technical assistance in the implementation of mother MUAC research, linking it with surge model scale up in Marsabit County
· Timeline and financial tracking, with support of Manager H&N, to ensure timely and effective deliverables of research agenda
· Participate in quarterly strategy review and planning meetings with the project research team.
Implementation of Operations Research
· Contribute to the review of data collection tools, including surveys and qualitative interviews
· Oversee data collection, data analysis and data synthesis, and ensure the use of effective data tools by all project staff and partners
· Translate research findings into policy and programme recommendations and suggestions for the use of mother MUAC
· Based on data, suggest additional analyses and highlight interesting findings
· Document the research process as an integral part of the operations research
· Assist in drafting of periodic donor reports and lead research final reports.
· Draft technical documents based on the research findings for submission to the nutrition specialist and HQ Technical Backstop as needed
· Contribute to research dissemination through involvement in technical working groups, global networks, conferences, and with other key stakeholders
· Lead the drafting of manuscripts for submission to peer-reviewed journals
· Attend County level technical meetings and conferences, as needed, to disseminate research results.
· In partnership with the program team, contribute to capacity building of MoH and partner agency staff members.
· Assist in the planning and coordination of trainings associated with the intervention of study
Monitoring and Reporting
· Monitoring the progress against objectives outlined in the program plans.
· Preparing high quality written reports for Concern and donors (monthly, quarterly and annual) and others as required.
· Conduct frequent field visits for monitoring to ensure effective research and programme implementation.
· Participate and contribute as necessary towards Concern’s emergency response as and when necessary and comply with Concern’s health, safety and security guidelines during emergencies.
· Ensure adherence to P4 at all times.
Responding to Emergencies
· Participate and contribute as necessary towards Concern’s Emergency response as and when necessary
· Initiate EMT Meetings and document such meetings for follow up
· Comply with Concern’s health, safety and security guidelines during emergencies
Programme Participant Protection Policy
· To adhere to the standards of conduct outlined in the Programme Participant Protection Policy and Concern Code of Conduct.
· Tertiary level education related to: public health or nutrition or research methods, and/or operations research.
· At least three - years demonstrated work experience in research related positions or projects and/or programmes.
· Proven track record of collecting and analysing quantitative and qualitative data.
· It is highly desirable that candidates will be able to demonstrate experience in one or more of the following areas:
· Experience and knowledge of MOH systems, particularly at County and sub county level
· Child health and nutrition, specifically the diagnosis of undernutrition
· Behaviour change strategies
· High personal standards of excellence;
· Verbal and written communication skills in English;
· Interpersonal skills;
· Creative thinking and solution building abilities;
· Strategic thinking and operational planning capabilities;
· Administrative and organisational abilities, including an eye for detail;
· Demonstrated drive and initiative, a self-starter with a can-do attitude.
· Fluent in both spoken and written English and Kiswahili. Fluency in local language/s skills is an added advantage
This job description is not exhaustive and may be revised by the line manager from time to time.
Concern has a Concern Code of Conduct & Associated Policies which have been developed to ensure the maximum protection of programme participants, especially beneficiaries, from abuse and exploitation, and to clarify the responsibilities of Concern staff, partner organisations, and anyone engaged by Concern or visiting our programmes, and the standards of behaviour expected of them. In this context all Concern staff have a responsibility to the organisation to strive for, and maintain, the highest standards in the day-to-day conduct of their work in accordance with Concern’s core values and mission. Any candidate offered a job with Concern will be expected to sign the Code of Conduct and Associated Policies as appendices to their contract of employment. By signing the Concern Code of Conduct and Associated Policies candidates demonstrate they have understood its content and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents. Any breach of the Concern Code of Conduct and Associated Policies by employees of Concern during the course of their employment will result in disciplinary action up to, and including, dismissal
Concern’ is the trading name of ‘Concern Worldwide’, a company limited by guarantee, registered number 39647; registered charity number CHY 5745, registered in Ireland, registered address is 52-55 Lower Camden Street, Dublin 2, Ireland. Follow Concern online: www.concern.net
CONCERN WORLDWIDE IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND DOES NOT CHARGE FOR ANY KIND OF RECRUITMENT
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements, should send their CV and Cover Letter Only to email@example.com with the subject of the email as ‘Programme Support Officer – Nairobi’ by Thursday 21st November 2019.
Each application should include three (3) referees who can validate technical expertise. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview.