Information Management Assistant
Requisition ID: req7281
Job Title: Information Management Assistant
Sector: Economic Recovery & Livelihood
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
The International Rescue Committee responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, IRC offers life-saving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in more than 40 countries and in 22 U.S. cities, IRC restores safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted by conflict or disaster. IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The Syria crisis is often described as the worst humanitarian catastrophe since the end of the Cold War. Inside Syria, 7.6 million people are internally displaced and 12.2 million are in need of humanitarian assistance, with 4.8 million in hard-to-reach areas. There are 4 million Syrian refugees in neighboring countries. This is no short-term humanitarian episode. The devastating human consequences to huge numbers of people will endure for decades. The destruction of relationships, communities, livelihoods, homes and infrastructure will take years to repair.
IRC is offering a robust humanitarian response to the Syria crisis. With an annual budget in excess of $140 million and a rapidly expanding portfolio, supported by more than 1,250 staff in the region, IRC is undertaking programs in Syria and the neighboring countries of Turkey, Iraq, Lebanon and Jordan in the fields of health, child protection, education, women’s protection and empowerment, NFI and food distribution, cash assistance, water and sanitation, and livelihood programming. Our work in these challenging settings gives rise to some of the most pressing issues facing contemporary humanitarian action, including questions of access, security, funding and coordination.
As part of the IRC north-west Syria Economic Recovery & Development (ERD) team, the Information Management Assistant will ensure a smooth data management process from the point the data is collected, cleaned, selected and reviewed up until the point the information is stored and reported, especially but not exclusively for the cash transfer program (CTP), they have to make certain that the information they deal with is qualitative and safely stored within ERD’s databases. Through close cooperation with and under the supervision of the department’s Information Management Officer (IMO) they will work on timely updating and revamping the programs’ databases, forms and tools, furthermore they will assist the IMO in data reporting through providing verified numbers and figures.
- Work on and help with constructing data collection or ODK tools and uploading them to ONA platform, ensuring that the forms are updated regularly and consult with program focal points and MEAL staff on whether there is any necessary changes needed on the tools.
- Work on data cleaning and selection for ERD’s programs especially CTP’s unconditional cash monthly interventions and cooperate with Cash and Basic Needs’ program’s senior staff to understand program needs and the nature of each project.
- Identify community validation and secondary verification cases, communicate them with program’s field staff and MEAL staff respectively, and draft lists and essential tools to facilitate both process.
- Create registration tokens frequently and regularly to satisfy the registration needs through out a projects cycle and to be shared with field staff.
- Maintain CTP’s datasets and other database regularly through ensuring the quality, correctness and completeness of the data within them, keep a consistent structure throughout these spreadsheets and making sure that an auxiliary information (Payment, Attendance, etc.) has been incorporated in timely manner.
- Assist the Information Management Officer with monthly, quarterly and annual data reporting to donors and clusters by double checking the accuracy of the figures and ensure they reflects each month’s achievements.
- Follow up on MEAL related matter and requests such as; PDMs, secondary verification, area mapping and beneficiary counting and seek approval when needed from IMO and program staff.
- Help program focal points to properly respond to exclusion complaints sent over by the accountability team by providing a good justification.
- Flag any missing information/documents or errors to program assistants and proactively follow up to retrieve this information/document
- Support on other tasks related to other ERD subsectors assigned by supervisor as well as per program need.
- Read through and understand project designs “criteria section” thoroughly and discuss any unique changes with the team and how to go about them.
- Participate in weekly follow up/feedback meetings with colleagues to and provide updates and challenges.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to: Information Management Officer
Position directly supervises: None
Indirect Reporting: None
Other Internal and/or external contacts: describe the nature of departments or groups the position influences or requires support from to accomplish objectives.
Internal: ERD Coordinator, Cash & Basic Needs Manager, Livelihoods Manager, Other ERD and MEAL Colleagues.
External: Data collection staff in Syria and Amman (Third Party Monitors, researchers, etc.).
- University Degree in a related field required, including information management, economics, social sciences.
- Minimum 1 years previous experience working with data analysis and reporting
- At least 1 year work experience with INGO or NGO preferred
- Familiarity in cash and voucher assistance, food security, or livelihoods programming preferred.
- Experience in data analysis.
Demonstrated Technical Skills:
- Strong technical skills with data analysis and data visualization
- Strong English writing and reporting skills
Demonstrated Managerial/Leadership Competencies:
- Strong organization skills; ability to prioritize, multi-task and follow work plans
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong planning, writing and reporting skills
- Fluent in Arabic and English
Computer/Other Tech Requirements:
- Full professional competency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of data analysis and data visualization tools a distinct advantage
- Knowledge and experience of ODK and ONA forms or a similar platform preferred
Working Environment: This position is based in Amman.
The IRC is a team-work environment and requires a person who will work with colleagues from many cultural backgrounds, understand and contribute to the organization’s goals, work well as a member of a group/team, and respect the thoughts and opinions of others in the team.