2012 Communications Officer
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. Placing women's rights at the centre of all its efforts, the UN Women leads and coordinates United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It provides strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
In line with its Strategic Plan 2019-2021, UN Women programme office in Serbia works towards selected Development Results in the impact areas of combating violence against women, enhancing gender responsive policy making and budgeting, and supporting the women, peace and security agenda. UN Women is working with different national and UN partners, in the framework of several projects, some of which are ongoing and others expected to be undertaken in the forthcoming period. These include supporting capacity development and strengthening partnership with the Coordination Body for Gender Equality to effectively coordinate and promote accountability for the implementation of gender equality commitments and gender responsive governance; supporting women CSOs in the area of women's economic empowerment and the empowerment of rural women; integrating gender perspective in programming, implementation, monitoring and reporting for IPA programmes; advancing Gender Responsive Policies and Budgeting in Serbia. In the area of violence against women, UN Women is part of the joint project “Integrated Response to Violence against Women”, under which UN Women is working at the level of the Province of Vojvodina. Project “Improved Safety of Women in Serbia” is being implemented with the Ministry of Interior, with the focus to ensure safety of women and girls through strengthened capacities of relevant stakeholders, enhanced legislation, improved institutional and organizational framework, institutional responses, and awareness-raising. UN Women Serbia, through the Regional Programme “Implementing Norms, Changing Minds” supports CSOs and networks of women civil society organizations and aims at ending gender equality discrimination and violence against women, with a particular focus on the most disadvantaged groups of women. UN Women is also implementing projects in the field of economy of care and empowering women with disabilities. Furthermore, UN Women is monitoring UNTF to end Violence against Women grantees in Serbia.
UN Women will also continue to provide advisory services and coordination support to the UN Resident Coordinator and the UN Country Team in Serbia in the field of gender equality and women’s empowerment, including around joint programming, improved accountability, and partnership building.
Reporting to the Gender Specialist, the Communications Officer is responsible to ensure the timely and quality planning and implementation of the UN Women Serbia communications strategy and will support advocacy efforts, maintenance of media relations, and organizational outreach efforts, in order to increase the standing and awareness of UN Women with partners, the media and the public. The Communications Officer collaborates closely with other UN Women Serbia colleagues as well as the Headquarters and Regional Office counterparts, to ensure communications strategies, media relations and organizational outreach efforts are aligned with corporate communications policies and initiatives and follow good practices. The Communication Officer applies and promotes the principles of results-based management (RBM), as well as a client-oriented approach consistent with UN Women rules and regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Plan and design communications and outreach/advocacy strategies and plans:
- Prepare and conduct communications needs assessments for the UN Women Serbia Office, including for projects, programmes and corporate change initiatives;
- Analyse requirements and synthesize proposals for elaboration of communications strategies; ensuring gender perspective;
- Integrate communications, advocacy and outreach strategies into proposals for project/programmes and other initiatives;
- Monitor and analyse print and social media and draft reports;
- Coordinate in-country UN Women/ UN system corporate and local campaigns and special events and ensure UN Women’s active participation and visibility in UN Joint Communications Group and ensuing joint communications activities.
2. Coordinate and implement the development and dissemination of advocacy materials in the country:
- Develop and produce communications materials, including brochures, publications, briefing materials, press releases, and articles, and manage their dissemination;
- Identify and propose information-sharing opportunities, activities, approaches and platforms and partners;
- Promote and disseminate corporate advocacy materials for launching flagship initiatives, publications, and campaigns;
- Manage the translation/adaption/rewriting of global or regional communications materials, coordinate printing and dissemination of publications and audio-visual materials;
- Follow guidelines from HQ and RO.
3. Coordinate media relations for the UN Women Serbia:
- Manage relationships with the media in the country; maintain and update a media database;
- Respond to media inquiries and information requests; prepare related correspondence;
- Organize roundtable discussions, press conferences, and briefing sessions for the media, as required;
- Draft talking points.
4. Build and maintain partnerships and maintain relations with donors:
- Identify and develop new communications partnerships and alliances to enhance visibility;
- Liaise with advocacy partners and undertake outreach to civil society organizations, governments, and other groups to ensure that newsworthy information reaches the public and donors;
- Provide inputs to donor reports and information packages for donor review.
5. Maintain the UN Women Serbia online presence:
- Manage the UN Women Serbia social media accounts in line with corporate social media policy;
- Provide content on UN Women Serbia activities which will be publisher on regional UN Women web site;
- Upload information to knowledge management system on a regular basis, including news, updates, and resources.
6. Facilitate knowledge building and sharing:
- Identify and synthesize best practices and lessons learned directly linked to programme country goals and activities;
- Provide training and workshops on communication and advocacy, as appropriate.
Key Performance Indicators
- Quality communications strategy and timely implementation which leads to greater exposure and understanding of UN Women’s work;
- Timely monitoring of current events and trends;
- Quality and relevant advocacy materials and content;
- Timely updating of website and social media;
- Timely dissemination of materials as shown by knowledge of UN Women’s activities in country;
- Regular interactions with mass media, as shown by coverage.
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies: https://www.unwomen.org/-/media/headquarters/attachments/sections/about%20us/employment/un-women-values-and-competencies-framework-en.pdf?la=en&vs=637
- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear and presentable formats;
- Good knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment;
- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow, identify and adjust discrepancies, identify, and resolve operational problems.
Required Skills and Experience
Education and certification:
- Master’s degree or equivalent in communications, public relations, media communications, journalism/or relevant fieldis required;
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Additional training and certification in communication and related areas is a strong advantage.
- A minimum of 2 years’ experience in communications at the national or international level, including experience in media relations;
- Experience in the use of social media, multi-media and digital platforms;
- Experience required in editing and copywriting skills, including articles, reports, social media content, press releases preferred;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.);
- Experience in video and photo editing and design software is an asset.
- Previous experience with gender issues, with UN Women and UN system is an asset.
- Experience in performing a variety of standard specialized and non-specialized tasks and work processes that are fully documented, researched, recorded, and reported;
- Experience in establishing priorities for self and others, to achieve results and meet strict deadlines in an effective manner, maintaining a high quality standard throughout;
- Good knowledge of project management.
- Fluency in English and Serbian both verbal and written, is required.
The following are steps for on-line application:
- Submit the application through the UNDP Serbia Jobs website. http://www.rs.undp.org/content/serbia/en/home/operations/jobs.html
- Upload completed and signed P11 form in the required resume field.
- As this position is under Service Contract modality, only applications of applicants with Serbian nationality or valid working permit in Serbia will be considered for the vacancy.
UNDP/UN Women are committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.