Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
Background Information – Amman
The UNOPS Hub in Amman implements projects in Jordan, Lebanon, Iraq, Syria, Turkey, and Yemen, in partnership with bilateral donors, national governments, and other UN agencies. With an established presence across the region, the office runs operations including large-scale procurement, project development, and technical management, and provides financial, human resources, and infrastructure-related services. The functional objective of UNOPS Hub in Amman is to deliver its projects in an efficient and effective manner and in line with the principles, rules and regulations of UNOPS, in order to support the response to the current needs and national priorities in the region.
Background Information - Job-specific
With the support of the EU, UNOPS is implementing a project to support social protection in Jordan. The overall objective of the project is to contribute to support social sector reforms and the development of an equitable and inclusive society in Jordan through the improvement and modernization of the quality and performance of the social protection system. UNOPS will be responsible for rehabilitating a select number of MoSD-owned and rented social care centres in compliance with the international standards of access and human rights and provision of IT facilities as well as contributing to the development of monitoring and evaluation-based performance management information systems for quality assurance.
The direct beneficiaries of this project are the vulnerable people benefitting from the targeted social care centers, who will benefit from an improved access to social care services. The MoSD (Ministry of Social Development), as well as NAF (National Aid Fund) and the Higher Council for Persons with Disabilities (HCPWD), will benefit from an improved infrastructure and capacities to be able to meet the increased needs for social care services. Through this project, UNOPS will contribute to achieving Outcome 1 of the UN Sustainable Development Framework (2018-22) for Jordan that aims at making national and local level institutions in Jordan more responsive, inclusive, accountable, transparent, and resilient.The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS. UNOPS is committed to achieving a fully diverse workforce.
The Electrical Engineer shall work under the direct supervision of the Project Manager The Electrical Engineer will give his/her technical expertise as required to manage and coordinate any project relevant designs, supervision, commissioning and related documentation works. He/she is responsible for ensuring high quality design, documentation and site works are carried out on time and on or under budget. The tasks would involve the following but not limited to:
- Coordinate and supervise the installation of electrical works for the project;
- Assist the project team and Procurement Unit in the procurement of electrical machineries and equipment through drafting and reviewing specifications, as well as in the preparation and evaluation of tender documents of electrical services (specifications, BOQs, rates etc.);
- Design and produce electrical systemic drawings and scope of work;
- Review the design of electrical services of projects;
- Manage testing, commission, training and handover of electrical deliverables to clients.
Specifically, the Electrical Engineer will be responsible for the following substantive tasks:
- Review electrical systems designs for the project in terms of accuracy and suitability to overall design requirements, including identifying improvements in the designs and be able to propose practical solutions;
- Design and analyze electrical engineering system utilizing research, development, relevant codes and good engineering practices;
- Prepare electrical drawings including plans, sections, elevations, details and other layouts as needed;
- Follow up on the contractual obligation of the contractor/s on site, and secure the testing of the installed products in order to verify their quality as being an integral part of both design and manufacture;
- Produce and review electrical bill of quantities terms of accuracy and content ;
- Conduct electrical assessment of building facilities, and electromechanical systems and produce report and corresponding estimates;
- Produce Auto CAD drawings according to stipulations, and ensure the high quality drawings are accurate and meet set deadlines,
- Site supervision and provision of guidance to contractors on all related electrical issues,
- Review and certify the submitted payment certificate,
- Approve electrical submittals and advice on suitable alterations,
- Prepare cost estimates and prices for new project development works,
- Follow up on the contractors’ obligations on site including inspections, testing, shop drawings review, quantity surveying.
- Maintain electrical engineering related material archiving, including files for all site memos and instructions, measured quantities of work and material on the site;
- Assist in scheduling tasks related to electrical works;
- Perform any other tasks relevant to the Infrastructure and Engineering Unit when required.
Deliver delegated tasks by the supervisor on time and as per the required cost and quality parameters.
Ensure project design and construction quality is high observing local and UN standards applicable
and relevant OH&S procedures are adhered to.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.(for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- A Master’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from a reputable University with appropriate experience in design, supervision or implementation of electrical works with 5 years of experience or Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from a reputable University with appropriate experience in design, supervision or implementation of mechanical works in buildings construction with additional 2 years of experience.
- At least 5 years of experience in electrical systems design and construction for medium to large scale construction projects in Jordan.
- Good knowledge in power distribution systems (single phase and three phase – conduit laying, wiring, installation of electrical works, fittings, etc.), lighting systems, fire alarm systems, solar systems, access control systems, industrial equipment control, telecommunication systems, testing and commissioning of electrical systems, and preparing of BOQs and supervision & monitoring of electrical works, with demonstrated capacity to meet performance indicators, and deliver results preferably in an international development environment.
- Comprehensive knowledge in computer software, particularly “AutoCAD”.
- Work Experience with an international Organization and/or UN Agencies is an asset.
- Member of the Jordanian Engineers Association is required
- Project Management Certifications like Prince2 or PMP will be an asset
- Fluency in Arabic and English languages is required.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Local ICA Contract level: Local ICA Specialist LICA 8
Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.