The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfilment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
About the job :
The aim of the position is to assist Area Manager in implementing Danish Refugee Council’s Safety Risk Management System (SRMS) is successfully implemented in Libya (incl. effective MOSS, regularly updated Safety Risk Assessments for all SLS locations) and capacity of national safety staffers increases through contextualized mentorship. This staff member will provide security support to the teams in the operational areas of the DRC-Sudan. The Safety Officer will report to the Area Manager, with technical support from the Libya Safety Coordinator.
▸Under the guidance of the Safety Coordinator the Safety Officer will be part of the implementation of DRC Safety procedures in the Western Area of operations
▸Under the guidance of the Safety Coordinator the Safety Officer will mentor and advise project teams in essential security operations and procedures.
▸The Safety Officer will be the Safety Focal Point internally and externally of DRC at the project area levels
• The Safety Officer assist in safety assessments in line with DRC procedures: Minimum Operating Safety Standards (MOSS), Safety Risk Assessments (SRA) for all current locations and facilitate the implementation Local Safety Rules (LSR), Standard Operating Procedures (SOP)
• Inform the Safety Coordinator and field teams of non-compliance, and support management and teams to improve quality and compliance.
• Ensure a technical reporting line to the Safety Coordinator
• Assist in the access for new and on-going operations and facilitate program access/continuity through the provision of informed advice
• Support field teams in Tripoli in all safety-related issues, particularly in cases of emergency, incident management and recommendation to the field team. Assist with the implementation of the CIMP (critical incident management plan) by offices
• The Safety Officer will be part of the IMT
• Assist the Safety Coordinator in delivering safety training to the field teams
• Report relevant information for the areas of concern
• Act as Safety Focal Point within DRC and to key safety actors in the area of activities
• This position will cover all project locations in the Western Area including Tripoli and the field bases within the Tripolitania area of operations.
About you :
• Have 2 years work experience in volatile contexts and conflict affected environments
• Strong knowledge of Tripoli dynamics and humanitarian situation
• Experience in Safety Focal Point role
Ideally, you will also have:
• Stable and robust character with excellent interpersonal and teamwork skills
• Excellent communication skills in English and Arabic
• Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships in a multi-ethnic, multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environment
• Knowledge of Tripoli and humanitarian context
• Safety course certificate
• First Aid certificate
• Fluency in written and spoken English
• Fluency in Arabic
this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with DRC’s vision and values.
Contract length: 6 months
Job title and Band: Safety Officer , Band H
Designation of Duty Station: Tripoli, Libya.
All applicants must upload a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages) in English. Applications sent by email will not be considered.
Closing date for applications: 17/12/2019.
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visitdrc.ngo/jobsupport.