Joint Programme Coordinator
Sarajevo (Bosnia and Herzegovina)
United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) in Bosnia and Herzegovina is providing assistance and support to the national authorities in addressing the threats and risks posed to human security. These threats include large and uncontrolled presence of remnants of war and ammunition, terrorism and violent extremism, armed, gender and other forms of violence and men-made disasters. UNDP implements development interventions addressing those threats based on the national priorities. There are several project-based interventions that provide support to the overall security sector reform at state, entity, Brcko District and community level. Those are organizationally systematized under the UNDP’s Human Security Programme which represents a pillar within Justice and Security Sector of UNDP Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The Roadmap for a sustainable solution to the illicit possession, misuse and trafficking of Small Arms and Light Weapons (SALW) and their ammunition in the Western Balkans, by 2024 (SALW Roadmap 2024) was developed by the Western Balkans authorities, under the auspices of the Governments of Germany and France, in coordination with the EU, and with the support of the South Eastern and Eastern Europe Clearinghouse for the Control of Small Arms and Light Weapons (SEESAC). It was adopted at the Western Balkans Summit, in London, on 10 July 2018. The SALW Roadmap 2024 envisages the Western Balkans as a safer region and an exporter of security where comprehensive and sustainable mechanisms, fully harmonized with the EU and other international standards, are in place to identify, prevent, prosecute, and control the illegal possession, misuse and trafficking of firearms, ammunition and explosives. UNDP BiH is currently implementing the Countering Illicit Arms Trafficking (CIAT) Project as a direct contribution to the SALW Roadmap 2024 implementation.
Under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Justice and Security Sector Leader, the Joint Programme Coordinator will lead the CIAT project as well as other projects in the scope of Roadmap 2024 implementation. He/she will be responsible for result-based multi-projects’ performance and financial delivery and will have a firm understanding of the project management cycle and experience in managing complex and multi-layered organizational structures and programmes. The incumbent will, moreover, act as an advisor to the Justice and Security Sector Leader and UNDP senior management for all areas related to SALW Roadmap 2024 implementation in Bosnia and Herzegovina.
The Joint Programme Coordinator will be responsible for supervision of projects’ staff based in Sarajevo, BiH. The Joint Programme Coordinator will be expected to regularly coordinate his/her activities with the other projects implemented within the Justice and Security Sector of UNDP BiH.
The incumbent will be based in UNDP BiH office in Sarajevo.
Duties and Responsibilities
Ensures effective management of the CIAT project and oversees other SALW Roadmap 2024 projects contributing to improved human security situation in BiH
- Ensures effective management of CIAT Project and other projects contributing to SALW Roadmap 2024 focusing on achieving the expected projects’ outputs and set projects’ activities;
- Ensures timely implementation of the projects’ activities in line with the approved Project Documents and Annual Work-plans;
- Supervises and guides the projects’ activities such as workshops, studies and publications, subcontracting, procurement of equipment and services;
- Ensures overall integration of the projects into the regional and country’s existing and planned activities, as well as regional and national policies and plans relevant to SALW control;
- Ensures coordination between projects’ staff and subcontractors engaged in delivering different aspects of the projects’ work plans;
- Finalizes annual work plans with indicative scheduling of identified main output and activities as guidance documents for the formulation and review of annual work plans;
- Ensures close coordination between other relevant projects and programmes, both in-country and regional that are led by the projects’ partners, UNDP, and other organizations active in the field of SALW control.
Creates and maintains strategic partnerships focusing on achievement of the expected projects’ outputs and set projects’ activities;
- Elaborates and implements projects’ resource mobilization strategies;
- Analysis and research of information on donors, preparation of substantive briefs on possible areas of cooperation, active contribution to the UNDP efforts in resource mobilization focused on human security and justice with special emphasis on SALW control;
- Develops partnerships with UN Agencies, government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, civil society and other stakeholders in the area of support to increased human security in BiH based on strategic goals of UNDP and the needs of target countries;
- Acts as a liaison between other UNDP Country Offices contributing to implementation of SALW Roadmap, as well as all other relevant institutions/organizations.
Monitoring, evaluation and reporting of the overall Projects’ deliverables
- Monitors, evaluates and reports on the overall Projects’ deliverables;
- Ensures cooperation and collaboration with national and regional partners;
- Carries out regular follow-up and monitoring of implementation activities;
- Carries out regular monitoring and reporting on risks and mitigation measures, including updating the Projects’ Risk Logs;
- Finalizes required Projects’ reports, including narrative and financial reports to relevant parties as well as annual progress and expenditure reports, as per donor requirements;
- Provides regular updates on the Projects’ progress to UNDP Justice and Security Sector Leader as well as key projects’ stakeholders.
Provides sound technical advice to the UNDP’s senior management in the subject matter area;
- Advises senior management on the SALW Roadmap 2024 implementation and development in the country as well as on the global trends;
- Acts as an advisor on issues related to SALW, conflict and gender sensitive programming, under the overall UNDP human security programme in BiH;
- Finalizes relevant policy briefs, lessons learned documents, communication materials, website updates, and other relevant publications;
- Coordinates activities with other projects under Justice and Security Sector and other sectors in UNDP and across the organization;
- Finalizes, based on inputs by other Projects’ Team members, TORs for consultants, reviews and approves their reports;
- Provides quality control over the technical inputs of the Projects’ Team members and contributes to other Justice and Security Sector policy inputs prior to submission to the senior management.
Supports national partners in policy development aligned with international standards:
- Provides programme and project level advice to the Ministry of Security BiH and other institutions on the implementation of its SALW and IBM Strategies and respective Action Plans, in harmony with the SALW Roadmap 2024 goals;
- Provides conflict and gender sensitive programming advice to law enforcement agencies related to the small arms and light weapons control, police reform and community safety and human security;
- Provides advice to BiH institutions on issues relevant to SALW control and combat against illicit arms trafficking in accordance with BiH administrative structure and relevant legislation and strategic framework.
Knowledge management and gender equality
- Manages wide dissemination and visibility of projects’ achievements;
- Manages dissemination of information and knowledge management within the team for effective projects’ implementation;
- Ensures that achieved projects’ key results, knowledge tools and products have been mainstreamed within the projects’ field work, as well as within other relevant UNDP interventions and support their popularisation and application beyond UNDP scope of work;
- Ensures the transfer of projects’ deliverables, documents, files, equipment and materials to national beneficiaries;
- Ensures gender is effectively mainstreamed throughout the projects’ activities, work plans, budgets, reports, researches, analyses and, where specifically relevant, analyzed in detail;
- Ensures knowledge on gender equality is incorporated in the Projects’ knowledge management activities and products.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda/Preparing information for advocacy
- Identifies and communicates relevant information for a variety of audiences for advocating UNDP’s mandate.
Results-Based Programme Development and Management/Contributes into results through primary research and analysis
- Provides information for linkages across programme activities to help identify critical points of integration;
- Monitors specific stages of projects/programme implementation;
- Analyze country situation to identify opportunities for project development;
- Participates in the formulation of project proposals and ensures substantive rigor in the design and application of proven successful approaches and drafts proposals accordingly;
- Ability to develop, articulate, and achieve clear goals that are consistent with expected project activities and its output.
Building Strategic Partnerships/Maintaining a network of contacts
- Maintains an established network of contacts for general information sharing and to remain up-to-date on partnership related issues;
- Analyses and selects materials for strengthening strategic alliances with partners and stakeholders;
- Identifies needs and interventions for capacity building of counterparts, clients and potential partners.
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches/Developing new approaches
- Seeks a broad range of perspectives in developing project proposals;
- Identifies new approaches and promotes their use in other situations;
- Creates an environment that fosters innovation and innovative thinking.
Resource Mobilization/Providing inputs to resource mobilization strategies
- Analyses information/databases on potential and actual donors to recommend a strategic approach;
- Develops a database of Project profiles. Identifies opportunities for Project proposals for presentation to donors.
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing/Basic research and analysis
- Generates new ideas and approaches, researches best practices and proposes new, more effective ways of doing things
- Documents and analyses innovative strategies and new approaches.
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise/In-depth knowledge of the subject-matter
- Understands more advanced aspects of primary area of specialization as well as the fundamental concepts of related disciplines;
- Sound knowledge of the human security situation in BiH.
- Keeps abreast of new developments in area of professional discipline and job knowledge and seeks to develop him/herself professionally;
- Demonstrates comprehensive knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments;
- Demonstrates comprehensive understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools and utilizes these regularly in work assignments.
Client Orientation/ Establishing effective client relationships
- Researches potential solutions to internal and external client needs and reports back in a timely, succinct and appropriate fashion;
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines;
- Anticipates client needs and addresses them promptly.
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity;
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment;
- Building staff competence, creating an environment of creativity and innovation;
- Self-development, initiative-taking;
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work;
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively;
- Creating synergies through self-control;
- Managing conflict;
- Ability to handle multiple tasks effectively without compromising quality;
- Sharing knowledge across the organization and building a culture of knowledge sharing and learning. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each employee.
- Fair and transparent decision making; calculated risk-taking.
Required Skills and Experience
- Advance University degree in criminalistics, political science, law, international relations, or other relevant social science field;
- BA degree with additional two years of experience maybe accepted in lieu of MA.
- A minimum of 8 years (ten with BA) of relevant experience in project implementation;
- A minimum of three years of experience in dealing with security sector reform, with proven experience of direct collaboration with police agencies in BIH;
- Experience working in an international environment would be considered as an asset.
- Excellent verbal and written English skills are a prerequisite and knowledge of BCS languages.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.