Fleet Management Officer (Rental to external clients)
- Title: Fleet Management Officer (Rental to external clients)
- Project: Global Fleet Management
- Duty station: Budapest, Hungary
- Section/Unit: GFM Rental Unit, Assets and Fleet Management Section,
- Supply Management Service, Division of Emergency Security and Supply
- Contract Level: International – ICA, Level 2
- Duration: 01/02/2020 - 31/07/2020, with the possibility to extend for another 6 months
- Supervisor: Fleet Management Coordinator (Global Fleet Management- GFM)
The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and
coordinate international action to protect and assist refugees and other persons of concern. It
is constantly seeking talented, compassionate and professional candidates with high-integrity
to strengthen its capacity to respond urgently to crises with the right skills. Given the nature
of UNHCR’s work, it is essential that its workforce has the right mix of skills and qualities to
fulfill its mandate.
The Fleet and Asset Management Function takes on the role of leading, coordinating and
supervising activities related to fleet and assets management. With the potential expansion
of UNHCR’s fleet-related services to external clients, an additional position is required to
manage one or more pilot projects with one or more external clients in various countries in
order to implement the terms of the Service Level Agreement and to ensure compliance with
UNHCR rules procedures. The initial pilot project, with UNFPA will cover 3 countries, namely
Ethiopia, South Sudan and Malawi and will focus on light vehicles only, however, the scope
might increase in the coming months, based on the outcome of discussions with other
interested UN agencies.
Purpose and scope of assignment
Under the direct supervision of the Fleet Management Coordinator (GFM Rental), the selected
candidate will implement the following activities, related to the pilot project/s:
• Familiarization of the external client/s with UNHCR rules and procedures related to
Fleet Management and the UNHCR GFM Rental Program.
• Liaise with the UNHCR country office to inform about the up-coming pilot/s in their
country/ies, which however will be managed directly by GFM and the client.
• Assess the current client fleet/s with focus on standardization, composition, rightsizing of the fleet (utilization) and possible disposal of identified obsolete/surplus
vehicles through the AFMS disposal channels.
• Develop local fleet management replacement strategy taking into account the
client’s short and long term requirements.
• In collaboration with the respective AFMS units, assist with the provision of training
(various types including on physical verification) to the client staff, identified for the
implementation of the pilot project/s.
• Support initial implementation of and compliance with UNHCR’s rules and
procedures for Fleet Management and in line with the signed Service Level Agreement between GFM and the client.
• Ensure the comprehensive and regular usage of the actual Fleet Management
software (i.e. Fleet Wave) for data capturing.
• Collaborate with GFM Insurance/Finance and Vehicle Tracking Unit in relation to
the clients’ SLA.
• Initiate trainings on all aspects of GFM related processes in relation to
• Monitor quality and accuracy of the fleet data and inform GFM immediately, if there
are inconsistencies, inaccuracies or lack of data.
• Compile and analyze statistical data and periodically prepare customized reports
for UNHCR as well as for the client on challenges, milestones achieved and
• Provide advice on applicable fleet issues that affect the overall logistics operation
• Any other related duties as required.
As the pilot project will be implemented over a period of 9 months from the signing date of
the Service Level Agreement (SLA) and in 3 operations, it is expected that the selected
candidate will either be based in one of the pilot countries or regularly travel on mission, in
order to obtain information first hand and to support the client in the implementation of the
pilot, in line with the SLA.
Monitoring and progress controls
The regular presence of a Fleet Management Officer will ensure that the pilot project is timely
implemented and in compliance with Fleet management rules and procedures. It will further
enhance, the regular and timely follow up on all aspects in relation to the rental agreement
(SLA) as well as the timely implementation of disposal action.
Essential minimum qualifications and professional experience required
The ideal candidate will possess the qualification and experiences listed below:
• Education: University degree in Degree in Mechanical Engineering, Logistics/ Supply
chain or related field
• Work Experience: Minimum 5 years of relevant (international job experience with
graduate degree (equivalent to Masters), or 6 years’ experience with undergraduate
degree (equivalent to BA/BS) in the field of humanitarian or commercial fleet
management, ideally the candidate shows experience in large scale
(regional/global) vehicle rental/leasing in emerging markets
• Excellent command of French and English Language.
• Knowledge of other UN languages will be considered an asset.
• Knowledge of ERP systems.
• Strategic Planning and Vision
• Technological awareness
• Analytical thinking
• Innovation and Creativity
• Stakeholder Management
Closing date: 27 January 2020.
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and
opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities
as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are
encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex,
national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.