The Office for Corporate Communication (OCC) is responsible for all corporate and internal communication activities of the Organization. It ensures coherence and consistency in FAO’s corporate messaging and communications’ outputs, as well as enables cost-effectiveness in use of communication-related resources across the Organization
Under the general supervision of the Chief, Media Relations, and the direct supervision of the Photo Editor, the Photographer will play a key role in supporting OCCM photographic production to promote the Organization’s image and visibility, supplying high quality photographic coverage to meet Organizational needs
Tasks and responsibilities
- Provide timely and high quality professional photographic services, shooting FAO events, staff, conferences, workshops, high level protocol appointments, etc, supplying all professional 35mm digital camera equipment and accessories required for the successful completion of assignments;
- Process digital files through standardized workflow procedures, post-produced with embedded metadata and captions written in complete sentences describing event, main subjects (name, title, affiliation), action, date and place in corresponding IPTC fields; resize and distribute files in response to Photo Library requests;
- Upload edited and post-produced material to a) FAO mediabase online database, sending lightbox links to Photo Library and organizers, and b) FAO News Flickr account, where applicable, creating sets and collections, and distributing material by sending immediate notifications to recipients;
- Print photographs from digital files same day with identifying labels for distribution and provide to Photo Library staff for distribution; create labeled removable media and storage devices, as needed ;
- Digitize analogue material, scanning prints and film in various formats, adding relevant caption information and metadata, upload and distribute through the FAO mediabase;
- Shoot reportage and editorial coverage based on themes and subjects as assigned by Photo Editor, including some off-site coverage and possible field missions;
- Undertake photo research and perform photo library services, handling requests from media and a variety of both internal and external users;
- Provide photo desk services processing mission material and photo coverage from a variety of sources
- Provide technical advice and support, as needed.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Bachelor's degree in communication, social science, journalism, political science or a related field or technical diploma/professional licence
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience
- Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Professional photojournalist with minimum five years’ experience working with international media outlets, United Nations agencies, international institutions, and/or internationally recognized photo and news agencies
- Excellent knowledge of a) photo production processes and formats, using both digital and traditional film cameras and accessories, and b) professional digital media workflow and transmission
- Excellent photographic skills, including shooting techniques, lighting, portraiture, event, documentary and news coverage
- Demonstrated excellence editing, caption writing and post-production skills using specialized image editing software (Adobe, PhotoShop, Bridge, etc)
- In depth knowledge of camera-related technologies, scanners, mobile photography, social media photography platforms, remote transmission, ftp, etc.
- Demonstrated ability using Apple/Mac computers and office software applications (e g Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc)
- Ability to work with discretion, under pressure, to tight deadlines, for long hours, and as instructed
- Demonstrates tact and ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds and at all levels of the organization
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Ability to handle multiple assignments with competing deadlines
- Experience in documentary, news and event photography and photojournalism with both field and institutional experience.
- Applicants must provide web links to published work and/or web site
- Familiarity working with the UN system and processes an asset
- Experience with back and front end processes of the FAO mediabase is considered a strong asset.
- Experience in providing photographic services in culturally-sensitive environments
- Knowledge of other FAO languages and/or Italian would be considered an asset.