CGIAR Research Program on Maize (MAIZE)
The Communications department of the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is seeking a candidate for a one-year, paid consultancy.
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is the global leader in publicly-funded maize and wheat research and related farming systems. Headquartered near Mexico City, CIMMYT works with hundreds of partners throughout the developing world to sustainably increase the productivity of maize and wheat cropping systems, thus improving global food security and reducing poverty. CIMMYT is a member of the CGIAR System and leads the CGIAR Research Programs on Maize and Wheat and the Excellence in Breeding Platform. The Center receives support from national governments, foundations, development banks and other public and private agencies.
Under the guidance and supervision of a Communications Officer coordinating the work and the Director of Communications, the Communications Consultant will develop/write/edit communication products related activities, objectives, and research partners of the CGIAR Research Program on Maize (MAIZE) targeting a wide range of audiences.
The Communications Consultant will be based remotely for the initial months of the assignment, depending on COVID-19-related travel restrictions, and thereafter in the organization’s global headquarters in Texcoco, 40 km outside of Mexico City.
- With support from the Communications Officer coordinating CRP work and the Director of Communications, formulate, implement, monitor and revise an annual workplan for MAIZE communications to further strategic aims in maize research for development.
- Support and advise MAIZE program management in effective communications strategies to raise awareness of research outputs and outcomes among key stakeholder audiences, including country based stakeholders, global research partners, and funders, particularly in preparation for a transition from CRP to a new format of research management.
- Develop, write/edit and produce communication materials, e.g. reports, fact sheets, brochures, press releases, blog stories, articles, etc., for audiences ranging from beneficiary country-based stakeholders to funders and research partners.
- Collaborate with editorial and graphic design colleagues on a range of creative communications outputs, including infographics, presentations, videos and podcasts.
- Document success stories and develop messages regarding the legacy of MAIZE for both internal and external audiences in preparation for transition from CRP to a new format of research management.
- With support from MAIZE scientists, program manager and communications colleagues, responsible for two major annual reports: a technical report to CGIAR and a public-facing report for external audiences.
- Responsible for maintaining and creating content for the maize.org website, including developing, and publishing blog stories and interviews.
- Responsible for the content and design of a quarterly online newsletter.
- Manage MAIZE social media presence, including maintaining Facebook and Instagram accounts, and contributing to the CIMMYT Twitter account. Monitor, analyze and regularly document social media presence and refine approaches accordingly.
- Liaise with MAIZE partners, particularly International Institute for Tropical Agriculture (IITA) to facilitate coordinated efforts to raise awareness of joint MAIZE successes.
- Liaise with and participate in collaborative efforts with counterparts at other CGIAR Research Programs and at the CGIAR level to promote CGIAR research, support a transition to One CGIAR, document a legacy of success, and prepare for a transition to a new format of research management.
- Edit technical materials such as journal articles, reports, training materials, presentations, posters, etc. time permitting and as needed.
- Build and maintain responsive relationships with MAIZE scientists and communications contacts in regional office to stay updated on research outcomes and facilitate timely promotion.
- Participate in planning, material development, and logistics for events or workshops as needed.
- Proven English writing, editing, proofreading skills.
- Comfortable reading and summarizing technical content.
- Strong project management and interpersonal/teamwork. skills, as well as the ability to work proactively and independently.
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- Familiarity with online platforms and tools such as WordPress, Mailchimp, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter.
- Interest in agricultural/ international development, agricultural research, and/or agriculture or food-related science.
- Interest or background in journalism or news writing a plus.
- Willingness to travel for special activities, story development as needed.
- International background and/or interest in international affairs a plus; knowledge of Spanish not required but a plus.
The ideal candidate will be able to commit for at least one year and have an undergraduate degree in communications and/or journalism—or a scientific field related to CIMMYT’s work — plus at least 3 years’ relevant experience. This is an early-career level position.
CIMMYT offers consultants a monthly stipend paid in US dollars, a housing allowance, and an airline ticket to and from Mexico. CIMMYT will assist in obtaining necessary travel documents, including a visa. Transportation will be provided, depending on the availability of seats, on the CIMMYT bus, to and from Mexico City or Texcoco.
To apply, please email a letter of interest, a resume, two writing samples and contact information for two references to Marcia MacNeil, Communications Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.