IRC is committed to keeping clients and staff safe from harm. In this regard, IRC has been developing a number of policies and guidelines to ensure safeguarding. In IRC, safeguarding is an umbrella term that covers both staff and client-facing protection from exploitation and abuse. It sets out deliberate actions taken to ensure the safety, dignity, and protection of clients receiving aid and workers delivering it.
Safeguarding covers sexual harassment and other forms of sexual violence that may be experienced by staff, regardless of who perpetrates it, and the exploitation and abuse, including physical, verbal, emotional, mental, economic, and sexual, of adult and child clients by persons working for or associated with the IRC.
Along with the elaboration of global policies on safeguarding (I.e. Adult Safeguarding Policy, Child Safeguarding Policies, Harassment-free Workplace Policy and the broad principles indicated in the IRC Way), IRC has proceeded to elaborate Standard Operating Procedures for safeguarding management in each country office.
Scope of work
Consultant will carry out the Safeguarding Policy compliance work across Latin America region (El Salvador, Venezuela, Colombia and Mexico), including drafting Standard Operating Procedures, training material collation and contextualization, socialization, training of all staff and partner organizations, identifying and training of focal points, initial elaboration of work plan for policy implementation and set-up of milestones.
- Carry out country specific policy framework analysis, identify existing safeguarding systems at country level and determine where IRC global safeguarding policy and materials might need to be contextualized;
- Develop first draft of Standard Operating Procedures for each of the country offices involved using existing templates and materials, in line with IRC global safeguarding policies and guidelines.
- Assess the Safeguarding capacity and needs of our staff and partner organizations
- Collate and develop training material on safeguarding, LGBTQI+ rights, power, and gender equality, as well as translation and contextualization of the anti-sexual harassment training, using existing IRC training materials as the primary source of content;
- Provide and document training to all staff on Safeguarding policies, compliance and measures;
- Provide and document training to local partners (I.e. focal points for local partners on a “training of trainers” method) on Safeguarding policies, compliance and measures;
- Identify and train a trainer/focal point for each office
- Together with country office Senior Management Team and safeguarding focal point, elaborate a work plan for implementation of the Standard Operating Procedures with indication of adequate milestones and accountability measures.
- All documents must be produced in Spanish as primary language.