SDG Integration Communication Specialist
New York City (United States of America)
Job Purpose and Organizational Context
UNDP is the knowledge frontier organization for sustainable development in the UN Development System and serves as the integrator for collective action to realize the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). UNDP’s policy and programme work carried out at HQ, Regional and Country Office (CO) levels, forms a contiguous spectrum of deep, local knowledge to cutting-edge global perspectives and advocacy. Within this context, UNDP invests in a network of field-based and global technical expertise across a wide range of knowledge domains and in support of the signature solutions and organizational capabilities envisioned in the Strategic Plan.
Enabling the network of expertise across the SDGs, within and beyond UNDP, SDG Integration is the team that influences, shapes, and activates platforms for intersectional collaboration for complex, multi-faceted, and ‘frontier’ issues in sustainable development. As such, the SDG Integration team is at the heart of UNDP’s Global Policy Network (GPN).
Under the guidance and supervision of the Global Head of SDG Integration, the SDG Integration Communications Specialist will provide strategic and technical communications and advocacy advice; develop a range of creative communications products and identify engagement opportunities internally and externally, with a view to promote and position UNDP’s SDG integration offer, mobilize stakeholders to take an integrated approach, and contribute to strengthening partnerships for integrated action on the SDGs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead strategy and development of the SDG integration communications and advocacy portfolio;
- Create communications and advocacy products and engagement opportunities;
- Support the Global Head of SDG Integration with preparations ahead of meetings, events and corporate planning; and support reporting to ensure coherent messaging and positioning of the SDG integration offer.
Lead strategy and development of the SDG integration communications and advocacy portfolio:
- Conceptualize and implement strategic communication plans to support roll-out of UNDP’s SDG integration offer;
- Provide technical communications advice on SDG Integration and create narratives, messaging and communications initiatives to frame technical work;
- Conceptualize and lead the global integrated SDG solutions campaign to position UNDP as integrator and mobilize stakeholders to take an integrated approach;
- Develop and manage the editorial line across the SDG Integration outlets in close collaboration with the Bureau for External Relations and Advocacy (BERA);
- Coordinate communications and advocacy initiatives with teams across UNDP at global, regional and country levels, including BERA, the Executive Office and Regional Bureaus/Hubs at the working level, to create synergies and amplify outreach;
- Identify strategic engagement opportunities, processes and partners to position and communicate SDG integration, internally and externally;
- Pitch, plan and manage annual communications work plans including a dedicated budget;
- Track communication outreach analytics and adjust communication strategy and tools accordingly;
- Contract and manage outsourced services and relations with internal and external consultants for communications deliverables.
Create communications and advocacy products and engagement opportunities:
- Roll-out the global campaign on integrated SDG solutions across communications platforms in close collaboration with UNDP teams and external partners to activate engagement across global, regional and country levels;
- Oversee the development of the SDG integration website, produce web copy and web content,liaise with UNDP colleagues across global, regional and country levels and external partners to socialize the platform and capture content; oversee regular updates and liaise with web developers for improvement needs;
- Draft/produce and edit country examples, human-interest stories, blogs and op eds and other creative pieces, capturing SDG implementation in action;
- Produce and edit video stories and videos for social media; create infographics and other engaging design material, including visual and written content to internal and external newsletters and email marketing;
- Manage content creation for UNDP’s dedicated social media handle on SDG integration and engagements with partners;
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders for joint outreach and promotion, manage working relationships and identify opportunities for joined-up action.
Support the Global Head of SDG Integration with preparations ahead of meetings, events and corporate planning; and support reporting to ensure coherent messaging and positioning of the SDG integration offer:
- Contribute to substantive preparations (e.g. drafting briefs, speeches and presentations for senior managers) ahead of UNDP’s participation at meetings related to the implementation of the 2030 Agenda;
- Draft materials to support mobilizing, fostering and strengthening of strategic partnerships with various stakeholders;
- Support drafting of annual reports, corporate planning and positioning documents on behalf of the team; and develop and update SDG Integration language in corporate business plans, work plans, action plans, roadmaps and more in accordance with the SDG integration narrative and editorial line.
- Ability to make new and useful ideas work.
- Ability to persuade others to follow.
- Ability to improve performance and satisfaction.
- Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform. Level 5: Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others
- Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement.
- Ability to capture, (re)frame and package technical development work, methods and solutions into appealing communications projects and products for global audience.
Sustainable Development Goals
- Knowledge of the Sustainable Development Goals and the ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations.
Influencing and Agenda-setting
- Ability to plan and deliver communication initiatives that make an impact, persuades intended audiences, shapes perceptions of UNDP and creates positive demand for UNDP's value propositions.
- Ability to communicate the value and distinct characteristics of a product or service and to understand the market landscape.
- Originating and editing written and visual content and assets for a practitioner’s audience for dissemination through digital outlets.
- Ability to capture, develop, share and effectively use information and knowledge.
- Ability to engage with other agencies, donors, and other development stakeholders and forge productive working relationships.
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree in International Affairs, Political Science, Development studies, Communications or similar is required.
- At least 5 years’ experience of working on communications initiatives in government, multi-lateral organizations or the non-profit sector;
- Documented experience in advancing the communications-policy interface on sustainable development at the international level;
- Documented experience in creating, leading and implementing communications and advocacy campaigns/projects to advance the SDGs;
- Documented experience in creative content production and dissemination for online technical audiences in the SDG space; including through social media, external websites and internal channels;
- Documented experience in conceptualizing and managing websites;
- Documented experience in facilitating peer-to-peer knowledge exchange among practitioners on an international level;
- Experience in using graphic design and video editing tools, including the Adobe Creative Cloud applications;
- Experience using tools for online publishing, including content management systems and social media publishing tools, such as Hootsuite;
- Experience working with the UN.
- English proficiency, other UN official working languages will be considered an asset.
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
UNDP is committed to achieving diversity within its workforce, and encourages all qualified applicants, irrespective of gender, nationality, disabilities, sexual orientation, culture, religious and ethnic backgrounds to apply. All applications will be treated in the strictest confidence.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.