Framework Agreement-Design and Layout of the Nigeria Development Finance Assessment Report
Over the past decade, attacks by Boko Haram have killed tens of thousands, destroyed infrastructure, displaced millions, and devastated economic, health, and education systems. Even before violence escalated, the region was developmentally vulnerable, facing high levels of poverty and inequality, unemployment, and land degradation. As a result, conflict has made the situation in north eastern Nigeria "one of the most pronounced, multi-faceted and complex humanitarian and development crises known to the international community today".
The unfolding conflict in North-East Nigeria is a complex and evolving tragedy that is preventing concerted progress toward short-, medium-, and long-range development goals, such as those that the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) represent. On this background, UNDP has engaged, the University of Denver to conduct a detailed assessment of macro-level developmental impacts of the ongoing conflict in north eastern Nigeria across a Conflict and a No Conflict scenario using the International Futures (IFs) modeling platform. The assessment focused on the three hardest hit states by the violence: Adamawa, Borno, and Yobe in north eastern Nigeria. Developmental impacts were analyzed through the lens of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Duties and Responsibilities
Objectives of the Assignment
The consultant will undertake design and layout of the edited assessment report. Specifically, the consultant will:
- Produce a high-quality graphic design and layout of the entire report, incorporating appropriate and state-of the art illustrations employing varied use of texts boxes, infographics and key messages and tables highlighting the key elements/messages of the report to ensure easy readability and strong aesthetic appeal.
- Pay special attention to and ensure presentation style using boxes, infographics and tables as appropriate with the objective of highlighting the different components of the report.
- Present a print-ready report to UNDP.
This is one-year retainer contract, starting from October 2020, with initial assignment expected to be completed within a period of three weeks.
The consultant will present a comprehensive print ready Report
Resources and level of effort
The proposed assignment requires the deployment of one short-term consultant for a period of 10 working days each spread over three weeks.
The Consultancy work will be home-based.
The Individual Consultants will report to the UNDP Nigeria Economic Advisor
TERMS OF ENGAGEMENT
The entire consultancy will take ten man-days spread over three weeks. The consultancy fee will be a lump sum payment.
TERMS OF PAYMENT:
The consultant will be paid on a lump sum amount upon successful completion of the assignment.
The graphic designer will possess the following competencies;
- Demonstrates original ideas in the planning process
- Ability to come up with new ideas and innovative designs
- Uses an ethical approach during the planning process
- Demonstrates knowledge of job planning and development
Possess elements of art
- Creates and modifies lines
- Creates and modifies shapes
- Understands how to work with form and space
- Understands how to work with colour and gradients
- Understands how to work with layers
- Understands how to work with textures
Working with type (Typography)
- Demonstrates how to add type to a document
- Demonstrates how to set up a document
- Demonstrates how to create columns of type
- Demonstrates how to set type attributes
- Demonstrates how to adjust the text flow
- Demonstrates how to wrap type around a graphic
- Demonstrates how to change type orientation
- Demonstrate ability to make written language not only legible but also visually appealing
- Demonstrates how to incorporate identity package
- Understands terminology
- Understands the parameters of criticism and evaluation
- Essential employability skills/career preparation standards
- Demonstrates personal skill development (positive attitude, honesty, self-confidence and time management)
- Demonstrates effective interpersonal skills (group dynamics, conflict resolution and negotiations)
- Demonstrates academic skills, critical thinking and problem-solving in the workplace
- Demonstrates effective communication
Required Skills and Experience
The designer should have an outstanding and proven track record in carrying out similar work and should:
- Possess at least bachelor’s degree in Art, graphic design, or related field
- Be able to design and layout reports using the latest and state-of the art software.
- Possess strong communication and technical design and layout skills.
- Possess strong proof-reading and writing skills.
- At least five years of professional experience in design, layout and proof-reading
- Educational Qualifications (20 Marks)
- Professional Qualifications and Certifications (30 Marks)
- Experience implementing similar assignment in the past (50 Marks)
Upon assessment, only candidates with a total score of 70 marks or above out of 100 marks would be considered to be suitable for the position and will be contacted for the next stage of the selection process