Legal Talent Pool (Roster)
Lyons (United States of America)
PURPOSE OF THE TALENT POOL
The International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC), is the cancer research agency of the World Health Organization (WHO) and is based in Lyon France.
The purpose of this talent pool is for short term temporary and consultant contracts :
- Legal support and guidance on data management, data protection and privacy matters, at all levels from junior to senior consultants for short and mid-term assignments.
- Assistance in general administration and legal matters (para-legal assistants)
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
DATA MANAGEMENT AND DATA PROTECTION & PRIVACY MATTERS.
In view of (i) IARC’s scientific activities which entail the receipt, transfer, use and/or processing of data; (ii) IARC’s new scientific computing platform which will enhance the management of central data repositories and processing of scientific data, requiring design and implementation of revised data governance mechanisms; and (iii) the rapidly evolving legal and regulatory frameworks in relation to data protection and privacy worldwide; we are looking for mid-career professionals for the following tasks:
- to work in close collaboration with, and support IARC’s legal, compliance and information security experts;
- to review, improve and help monitor internal policies and procedures in relation to data protection and privacy, ensuring best in class standards for handling scientific data;
- to design a new data governance framework for IARC, including new templates as required, for management of data storage and data use in compliance with the applicable regulatory framework(s);
- to review existing data transfer/ data use/ data processing agreements or contractual clauses in relation to data processing / data use, and help develop model clauses in this respect;
- to liaise with IARC’s scientists to review projects and related data issues to ensure appropriate setup for data management and use, in compliance with applicable data protection/privacy requirements;
- to provide guidance and raise awareness within IARC regarding data privacy and security issues and provide relevant briefing materials.
ASSISTANCE IN GENERAL ADMINISTRATION & LEGAL MATTERS:
Ideally a paralegal assistant (part-time), preferably English mother tongue (advanced) who could:
- assist in the review and followup on agreements/contracts, e.g., procurement contracts;
- assist in the review and update of internal policies & procedures, and related templates as applicable;
- assist in drafting new internal policies & procedures, and related templates as applicable.
Essential: Various levels of qualifications depending on assignment, in the fields of law, intellectual property, data protection and privacy, public administration law or related fields.
Essential: Experience working in an international context. Various levels of relevant professional experience depending on assignment, e.g., experience in drafting, reviewing, negotiating contracts; experience in the area of data management, data protection and privacy matters and associated legal frameworks such as GDPR.
Desirable: Experience working in Intergovernmental Organizations, UN Common System or similar organizations, and/or experience working in a scientific research environment.
USE OF LANGUAGE SKILLS
Essential: Advanced/MotherTongue English Desirable: French (various levels)
Specific skills required: Excellent IT literacy skills in Microsoft Office 365 applications, SharePoint REMUNERATION
Various levels of remuneration, depending on the level of work matter and specific assignment.
- We only accept applications submitted via our online recruitment tool, which should be filled out in English and include a cover letter. Application profiles should include the details of all work experiences to date (full career details).
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for assessment and interview (to be held remotely).
- This vacancy notice may be used to fill other similar positions at the same grade level.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to WHO Staff Regulations, Staff Rules and Manual.
- For information on WHO's operations please visit: http://www.who.int
- WHO/IARC is committed to workforce diversity.
WHO/IARC has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco