Economist (Food Security and Nutrition Analysis)
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
The length of appointment for internal FAO candidates will be established in accordance with applicable policies pertaining to the extension of appointments
• FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
• People with disabilities are protected from any type of discrimination during any stage of employment, including the recruitment phase
• All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The Agrifood Economics Division (ESA) conducts economic research and policy analysis related to all five of the Organization's strategic objectives (food security and nutrition, sustainable agriculture, poverty reduction, inclusive food systems and resilient livelihoods). ESA provides evidence-based analytical support to national, regional and global policy processes and initiatives related to food security and nutrition and sustainable agriculture; and leads the production of two FAO flagship publications: The State of Food and Agriculture and The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World. ESA also leads large programmes at country level on agricultural and food policy monitoring, climate smart agriculture (CSA), poverty, and food security information and analysis in support of national policies
The post is located in the ESA team that coordinates and also contributes to the development of The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World (SOFI)
The Economist reports to the Senior Economist and Editor of The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World
The Economist will conduct and coordinate economic analysis on a broad range of issues pertaining to food security and nutrition. The analysis of this economist will provide evidence-based support to and feed into the preparation of the annual FAO flagship publication The State of Food Security and Nutrition in the World. The Economist will work in close collaboration and coordination with other FAO technical units and the four co-publishing partners of the report, namely IFAD, UNICEF, WFP and WHO. The Economist will also support the five regional and ad hoc country Overviews of Food Security and Nutrition reports, ensuring they are aligned with the global SOFI report and meet quality standards.
Comprehensive technical, statistical, analytical and/or policy analysis services and the development of specialized tools, methodologies, systems and/or databases to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of the programme of work and related products, projects, publications, and services
• Plans and leads components of multidisciplinary teams and short term work groups, leads and/or participates on Division/Office teams, participates on Organization-wide committees, project teams, and working groups and provides specialized expertise on international technical networks and or technical policy and standard setting bodies.
• Develops technical, statistical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related tools, methodologies, systems and databases, etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of the programmes of work, products, projects, and services.
• Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative tools and methodologies, flagship publications/technical reports and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical specialist and/or policy advice and expertise.
• Responds to requests and provides technical/policy advice, assistance and solutions to Regional, Subregional, and Country Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects.
• Promotes international cooperation and collaboration, advocates best practices and increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international meetings and conferences.
• Collaborates in capacity development activities involving knowledge sharing, the organization of training workshops, seminars, and meetings as well as the development of related materials and on-line tools and information kits.
• Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with Corporate strategy and plans.
• Supports the SOFI team leader in planning and managing the preparation of The State of the Food Security and Nutrition in the World, including drafting and then revising the report based on expert inputs.
• Contributes to the development of the evidence base that supports the preparation of the SOFI report.
• Prepares annotated outlines, summaries and draft chapters of the SOFI report relating to the themed analysis and on other issues pertaining to food security and nutrition.
• Conducts technical reviews of the five regional and ad hoc country Overviews of Food Security and Nutrition reports, ensuring they are aligned with the global SOFI report and meet the quality standards.
• Provides technical inputs and quality assurance for communication products relating to SOFI and associated food security and nutrition materials.
• Liaises with other FAO units and with the four co-publishing partners as necessary in the preparation of the SOFI.
• Supervises consultants and interns as required.
• Performs other relevant tasks as required.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in economics, agricultural economics, food security or a related field
• Seven years of relevant experience in economic and quantitative analysis of food and agricultural issues, natural resources use, food demand or related areas food security and nutrition
Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of another FAO official language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish)
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable
• Extent and relevance of experience and knowledge of applied research in the field of food security and nutrition, including experience in preparation of reports for publication.
• Extent and relevance of experience in economic and policy analysis of issues in food and agriculture, food security and nutrition at a national, regional and/or global scale.
• Extent and relevance of experience in conducting quantitative economic analysis, economic modeling, and applying econometric techniques in one or more of the relevant subject areas above.
• Demonstrated ability to manage, analyze, and present quantitative information clearly and effectively.