Knowledge Management Specialist
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
FAO Fisheries Division works towards responsible and sustainable use of fisheries and aquaculture resources by strengthening global governance and enhancing managerial and technical capacities of its members for improved conservation and utilization of aquatic resources.
FAO and the Global Environment Facility (GEF share key priorities such as biodiversity mainstreaming, climate change adaptation, land degradation neutrality, and transboundary water and fisheries management. The Organization manages a portfolio of over 190 projects and/or programs covering all GEF focal areas and implements GEF projects in more than 130 countries. One of them is the GEF-funded Coastal Fisheries Initiative (CFI) Program.
The CFI program consists of five projects that are coordinated by FAO as an implementing agency. Two of these projects, “Delivering sustainable environmental, social and economic benefits in West Africa through good governance, correct incentives and innovation (CFI West Africa)” and the “CFI Global Partnership”, are hosted within the Fisheries Division of FAO. The Program intends to demonstrate and promote more holistic processes and integrated approaches leading to sustainable use and management of coastal fisheries complementing the GEF multi-country Large-Marine Ecosystem (LME) approach. Its aim is to contribute to the global goal of seeing coastal fisheries sustain a healthy environment while delivering social and economic benefits.
The Program includes a Knowledge Management (KM) and Research Mechanism for sharing experiences and furthering effective and sustainable fisheries management globally and coastal fisheries in particular.
The Knowledge Management Consultant reports to the CFI Project Manager and works under the direct technical supervision of the CFI Senior Communication Consultant.
The Knowledge Management Specialist will provide support to the development and the strengthening of the CFI knowledge management activities. He/ She will be responsible for planning and organizing CFI’s knowledge management activities, including the capture and analysis of knowledge and data, the production of knowledge products and the facilitation of knowledge exchange and dissemination, in collaboration with CFI’s communications specialist.
Tasks and responsibilities
The assigned tasks and responsibilities include the following:
- Plan and organize knowledge management activities related to the implementation of CFI’s knowledge management strategy in line with the GEF’s KM Approach and FAO Knowledge Strategy;
- Provide methodological and technical guidance on knowledge management to CFI child projects and partners;
- Assess and document existing lessons and best practices in coastal fisheries management and develop and implement plans to learn from relevant projects, programs, initiatives and evaluations;
- Organize the capture, analysis and documentation of lessons, best practices and expertise in coastal fisheries management generated during CFI implementation;
- Provide guidance to child projects to develop and implement plans related to the production of knowledge products, as well as the tools and methods to be used for knowledge exchange and learning;
- Conduct face-to-face and virtual knowledge sharing activities related to the identification, documentation and capitalization of best practices developed under CFI, including workshops, exchange visits, share fairs, webinars,…;
- Work closely with Knowledge Management specialists in technical FAO units, including the GEF-unit, to ensure sharing of experiences and lessons learned at unit and portfolio levels;
- Engage with CFI Executing agencies, CFI partners and technical FAO units to enhance relevant collaboration mechanisms, including through the development of joint knowledge sharing activities;
- Ensure systematic sharing of good practices and learning from lessons across CFI Child projects and partners;
- Contribute, in collaboration with the communication team, to the maintenance of relevant knowledge platform(s), including the CFI website, with relevant content and activities.
- Ability to utilize social media tools as a means of regular and targeted knowledge dissemination.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced University degree in knowledge management, communications, social sciences, political science, international development studies, or a related field
- Relevant experience in knowledge and information management and capacity development combined with experiences in fisheries management :
- Consultant level B (Expert) - at least 5 years of relevant experience
- Working knowledge of English and French. Limited knowledge of Spanish would be a strong asset. 7
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Extent and relevance of academic qualifications;
- Extent and relevance of experience in knowledge sharing, lessons learning, good practice capitalization, analytical or evaluation methods and tools;
- Extent of experience in facilitation skills for meetings and workshops, including capacity development consultative workshops;
- Excellent analytical, synthetically and conceptual skills, as well as gender sensitive and cross-cultural competency.
- Extent of experience in on-line knowledge sharing and communications as well as social media use
- Ability to plan and organize own work, deliver results and meet deadlines;
- Ability to work within budget;
- Ability to perform well in cross-disciplinary teams;
- Work experience in one or more of the countries involved in CFI would be preferred.
- Familiarity with the FAO’s (and/or its CFI related partners’) knowledge and learning policies, systems and tools would be preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency