Protection Officer- GBV Prevention (1 post)
Mrauk Oo (Myanmar)
Duty Station : Maruk Oo Office, Rakhine State
Report to : Protection Team Leader- GBV Prevention
Overall purpose of the role:
The Prevention Officer works as part of DRC’s team in Mrauk Oo, under the direct supervision of the GBV Team Leader and guidance and support of the GBV Manager. This position is based Mrauk Oo with travels to field locations working with women and girls, communities and Internally Displaced People (IDPs) in camps as well as in villages.
The Prevention Officer is based in Mrauk Oo with regular field visit and will be expected to perform the following duties:
GBV PREVENTION OVERSIGHT:
- Provide technical oversight to GBV prevention assistants to ensure the quality and continuity of activities offered in the Women and Girls Centers
- Support centers managers to select, mentor and train Women Facilitators to conduct recreational, psychoeducational sessions in the Women and Girls Centers
- Ensure that centers managers (GBV Prevention Assistants) complete all administrative procedures to procure all equipment and supplies needed in the Women and Girls Centers in a timely manner
- Oversee the roll out of psychoeducational sessions on self-esteem, communication, self-care etc. for women and adolescent girls attending centers
- Oversee the sound facilitation of sessions on effective communication, problem solving and other life skills
- Facilitate trainings about gender equality and healthy relationships for male beneficiaries, women facilitators and outreach workers
- Mentor GBV prevention assistants and Women Facilitators to lead support groups and psychoeducational sessions.
- Design life skills activities including such as, kitchen garden, soap making and phone repair. Recruit teachers for cross cutting skills such as numeracy, literacy, basic computer skills and financial literacy
- Oversee the fair selection of activity beneficiaries and lead the establishment of groups for each of life skills
GBV AWARENESS ACTIVITY ROLL OUT
- Lead the roll out of awareness raising campaigns, focus group discussions (FGD) and other community engagement activities about violence and gender relations
- Oversee the planning and roll out of awareness activities to commemorate days such as: Women’s Day, International Youth Day and 16 Days of Activism
- Oversee the recruitment of Field based Women Facilitators
PROGRAM MANAGEMENT SUPPORT
- Compile and edit weekly reports submitted by GBV Prevention Assistants and submit them to the GBV Team Leader
- Draft biweekly, monthly reports about all GBV prevention activities which include a thorough analysis of progress against indicators and qualitative information about progress and challenges
- Complete the indicator tracker for all Gender Based Violence prevention activities on a monthly basis
- Oversee the Monitoring and Evaluation of activities conducted in the Women and Girls Center
- Draft quarterly reports to be submitted to the donor
- Fill and submit Purchase Requisitions, Travel Authorizations and any other DRC administrative forms as needed
- Oversee the documentation to process the payment of Field Level Case Workers incentives
- Coordinate with other DRC departments to ensure the effective use of the logistical and financial resources
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 2 years' relevant experience working with a humanitarian or development organization, with excellent references. A Demonstrated experience in working on women protection such as empowerment programs, reproductive health, counselling etc.
- Willingness to serve women affected by violence on the basics of need regardless of their ethnic background. Specifically, prepared to work with both Rakhine Buddhist and Muslim communities.
- Previous experience in working with communities, raising awareness and providing services
- Computer skills, including knowledge of Excel
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Prepared to work with both Rakhine Buddhist and Muslim communities.
- Fluency in Burmese and English. Additional local languages would be an asset.
- Relevant degree (e.g. nursing, social work, gender studies, political science) or equivalent professional qualification
- Understanding of operational context in Rakhine State.
- Experience in counselling or reproductive health.
- English written and spoken
All DRC roles require the post-holder to master DRC’s core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: Focusing on reaching results while ensuring efficient processes.
- Collaborating: Involving relevant parties and encouraging feedback.
- Taking the lead: Taking ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: Listening and speaking effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: Upholding and promoting the highest standards of ethical and professional conduct in relation to DRC’s values and Code of Conduct, including safeguarding against sexual exploitation, abuse and harassment.
- Understanding of operational context in Rakhine State.
- Starting date of employment: ASAP
- Salary: Competitive salary according to DRC Myanmar salary scale.
This position is open for Myanmar Nationals only. DRC strongly advocates for equal opportunity and promotes a diversified and inspiring working environment.
Applicants who meet the above-mentioned requirements should apply by submitting their applications in English (consisting of Cover Letter and CV of no more than 4 pages, including contact details of 3 professional references) and CV only applications will not be considered. Apply button.
- Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for a written test in English and a face to face interview.
- After the closing date, applications are not to be considered. Please note that due to the urgency of this position, applications will be reviewed on an on-going basis and DRC reserves the right to initiate the recruitment process before the deadline for application.
Deadline for submission of applications: 29-Oct-2020