Snr End-User Device Specialist - Solution Engineering
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.Senior End-User Device Specialist
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The incumbent is UNHCR¿s expert on End-User Devices (EUD), who will design the technical solutions that meet the organization¿s requirements, align with its technical direction, are cost effective, and are well-maintained.
The post is in the Solution Engineering Section of DIST reporting directly to the Chief of Solution Engineering, who reports to the CIO. Currently, there are no direct supervisory responsibilities for this post.
The incumbent is expected to interact laterally with the team¿s technical experts to ensure the EUD solutions s/he designs, and implements are in alignment and adherence to the relevant technical standards. S/he will work closely with the Global Service Desk (GSD), the Field Operations Support Section, and the Security Operations Centre (SOC) to ensure requirements are well understood and solutions correctly implemented. As a key member of the DIST team, constant engagement with the other DIST Services, including Business Relationship Management, IT Operations, and Customer Support will be part of the daily role. Oversight of EUD solution development, implementation and support ¿ as carried out by Managed Service Providers ¿ is key to the role. Also, engagement with business stakeholders will be critical to ensure a clear understanding of requirements. Finally, the incumbent will also need to maintain close working relationships with technology vendors who provide and support the organization¿s End-User Devices.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR¿s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Act as the organization¿s expert advisor on EUD, designing the related solutions that meet the dynamic needs of the organization.
- Ensure continued expertise on technical developments of the various Windows desktop OS configurations, including deployment, patching and monitoring capabilities, as well as licensing models and cost-optimization features.
- Design secure, cost-effective, monitored, user-friendly, easy to administer desktop/laptop OS configurations which leverage cloud file systems and can run UNHCR standard desktop applications.
- Design and support patching and updating strategies for the above in view of UNHCR¿s connectivity landscape.
- Develop technical roadmaps for EUD that are aligned with both business requirements and the strategic technical direction of UNHCR.
- Work with technical and business colleagues to understand and document explicit and implicit requirements related to EUD and their use.
- Validate these EUD requirements with development partners and technology vendors to ensure completeness and technical feasibility.
- Ensure requirements for initial solution development and subsequent changes are clearly documented and maintained over time.
- Include maintenance and support aspects in the design of any solution; work with Service Delivery Managers, Global Service Desk (GSD) and Field Operations Support Service (FOSS) to ensure EUD support requirements are well understood and correctly implemented.
- Prepare or assist in the preparation of comprehensive estimates for the development, licensing, and support of all EUD solutions.
- Design and implement monitoring strategies for EUD and present relevant reports to all parts of the organization.
- Develop and maintain clear technical documents to help partners support EUD solutions.
- Develop or oversee the development of test plans to comprehensively test all required features of the solution.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of EUD-related policies, procedures, guidelines, and standards that are relevant to UNHCR¿s technical and operational landscape.
- Educate and enable both technical and business colleagues on the above EUD standards; support GSD, FOSS, and SOC colleagues in their maintenance and implementation.
- Assist the SOC (Security Operations Centre) in establishing monitoring capabilities, baselines, responses, vulnerability scans, intelligence, and coordination appropriate for each new EUD solution.
- Ensure that adequate measures/solutions are in place for intrusion-prevention and detection, device encryption for EUD.
- Assist technical support groups in return-to-green efforts during major incidents.
- Review submissions to the Architecture Review Board (ARB) for adherence to EUD standards; assist the ARB in understanding potential shortcomings of proposed solutions and suggest remediation measures.
- Ensure that UNHCR¿s Project-Management Life Cycle (PMLC) is understood by our technical partners and followed for all EUD projects.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P4 - 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Computer Engineering; Computer Science; Data Science;
Electric Engineering; Engineering; Information and Communication Technology;
Information Systems; Information Technology; Telecommunication;
or another relevant field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
ITIL V3 Foundation Level; Microsoft Tech Specialist; Information Technology;
MS Certified Technology Spec; MS Certified Solutions Expert; Six Sigma;
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
- At least 9 years (7 years with advanced university degree) of experience in information technology, of which 7 should be in designing and implementing enterprise-grade IT solutions.
- Demonstrated experience driving technology solutions from design to implementation, leveraging cross-functional teams comprised of staff, vendors, system integrators, outsourced partners, and contractors across multiple locations.
- Proven success in designing and architecture blueprints and technical documentation for large organizations.
- Strong familiarity with IDS/IPS solutions and malware management solutions.
- Strong familiarity with public cloud technologies, especially Azure, including monitoring, administering and updating end user devices.
- Broad knowledge of Microsoft Enterprise products, technologies and services.
- Deep knowledge of Microsoft End Point Configuration Manager, Active Directory, Windows 10 OS with and without Trusted Platform Module (TPM) and BitLocker.
- Experience with large Wide Area Networks composed of high-latency, low-bandwidth connections, such as VSAT solutions.
- Strong familiarity with ITIL concepts.
- Experience with automated testing tools and techniques, including oversight of test plans and test matrices, project plans and scope and design documents.
- Proven ability to document business and functional requirements using industry standard and generally accepted modelling methods using standard tools.
- Experience working with outsourced providers in delivering services based on service level agreements.
- Experience resolving problems, responding to and completing audit recommendations and actions.
- Strong verbal communications and executive-level presentation skills.
- Knowledge of systems and processes within UNHCR, especially WAN and Refugee Systems technologies.
- ITIL v3 certifications.
- Familiarity with UNHCR¿s Data Protection Policy and related GDPR concepts.
- Expertise with BI tools for reporting, such as Microsoft Power BI.
- Microsoft certifications such as:
o M365 Fundamentals
o Modern Desktop Administration
o M365 Mobility and Security
*IT-IT Workstation Operating Systems (OS)
*IT-Web Server Technology
*IT-IT Directory Services
*IT-IT Security Management
*IT-IT Systems and Standards
*IT-IT Solution Engineering
*IT-IT Surveillance Monitoring Systems
*IT-IT Report & Dashboard Design & Creation
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English. C001L3 - Accountability Level 3
C002L3 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 3
C003L3 - Communication Level 3
C004L3 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 3
C005L3 - Client & Result Orientation Level 3
C006L3 - Organizational Awareness Level 3
M001L3 - Empowering and Building Trust Level 3
M003L3 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 3
M004L3 - Strategic Planning and Vision Level 3
X002L3 - Innovation and Creativity Level 3
X003L3 - Technological Awareness Level 3
X009L3 - Change Capability and Adaptability Level 3
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies in this addendum is Thursday 29 October 2020 (midnight Geneva time).