WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
WFP Innovation Accelerator, INKA, Munich, Germany
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. We are currently seeking to fill an Innovation Accelerator Events Project Manager position in the INKA division, based in Munich, Germany.
Brief description of WFP Innovation Accelerator, INKA:
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency fighting hunger. WFP reaches more than 100 million people every day - delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with smallholder farmers, communities, and governments to improve nutrition and build resilience.
The WFP Innovation Accelerator was named by Fast Company as one of 10 organizations worldwide named as the Best Workplaces for Innovators 2020 and Innovation Team of the Year 2020 for its work in identifying, nurturing, and scaling disruptive start-ups and innovations to end global hunger. Based in Munich, Germany, the Innovation Accelerator provides WFP employees, entrepreneurs and start-ups with funding, hands-on support, and access to WFP’s global operations. Through the Innovation Accelerator, WFP is leveraging unprecedented advances in digital innovation - such as mobile technology, artificial intelligence, big data and blockchain - and new business models to transform the way it serves vulnerable communities across the world. In 2019 alone, Accelerator supported innovations that positively impacted the lives of 1.4 million people globally. Most recently, the Accelerator runs programmes for external partners such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and others.
In our accelerator programme for WFP, we source the best teams globally, run 1-week high-intensity “innovation bootcamp” trainings and support teams with up to $100K in equity-free funding, hands-on support by our team and access to WFP's global operations for our sprint programme. The most promising innovations are supported in scaling further.
- Title of Post:Communications Consultant
- Unit: Innovation Accelerator, Innovation and Knowledge Management Division (INKA)
- Country: Germany
- Duty Station: Munich
- Initial contract duration: 5 months
Expected Start Date: 15.12.2020
Duties and responsibilities:
The Consultant, reporting to the Marketing and Communications Lead, is expected to:
- Support development & implementation of a yearly communication strategy for the Innovation Accelerator:
- Carry out external communication on innovation and technology; develop and guide corporate and Accelerator-level communications priorities;
- Produce and maintain up-to-date communication material for the Innovation Accelerator, specific to audiences, and both online and traditional channels;
- Liaise and manage press relations for both the Accelerator and Accelerator-supported innovations;
- Attract high-potential social innovations from within WFP and external networks through events, PR and digital marketing activities;
- Review all external communications materials, as aligned with the Head of Innovation Accelerator;
Position the WFP Innovation Accelerator as industry/sector leaders by drafting and editing articles, blogs, press releases to promote Innovation Accelerator.
- Support communication content creation for innovation projects which take part in the Innovation Accelerator:
- Identify stories and major communications moments; lead content gathering, creation and marketing;
- Support the production of content and visual assets (e.g. blog content, social media content, website content, graphics, audio/video materials, presentations, etc.) with writing, graphic design, video editing and/or audio editing, as applicable, in coordination with the Marketing and Communications team;
- Assist with project reporting requirements and information management between the Accelerator, project leads and external parties;
Support innovation projects with communication advice and prepare communication material as required.
- Provide input into communication and fundraising elements as required;
- Prepare input, talking points, briefings for WFP senior management, inter-agency opportunities and donor communications;
- Support the Accelerator’s fundraising activities and participation at external events;
- Liaise with the Innovation and Knowledge Management Division’s Communications Officer, the Communications Division and the Government and Private Sector Partnerships Divisions as required;
- Support core processes of the Accelerator (e.g. innovation challenge; bootcamps; sprint programme; thought leadership; innovation fund) as required;
- Execute any other task required to support the activities of the Head of the WFP Innovation Accelerator and the Director of Innovation and Knowledge Management.
Required qualifications and experience:
The candidate must have an undergraduate degree; a degree in business, communications or international development preferred.
At least 3 years of progressively responsible national and/or international experience in communications, reporting, marketing and/or business-related positions. Experience in innovation is beneficial.
Required soft skills/WFP Competencies:
- Experience in communications within a global organization required.
- Strong conceptual thinking to develop new communication strategies and coordinate projects.
- Ability to produce high-quality written materials, including graphically-based presentations as well as text documents.
- Ability to interact with leaders and external audiences with maturity and tact.
- Collaborative spirit able to liaise with a wide range of people at all levels and across different cultures and to act with credibility and diplomacy.
- Strong time management skills with an ability to plan ahead, anticipate requirements, problems and obstacles, and an ability to juggle competing priorities successfully and to work to tight deadlines.
- Self-motivated and able to work with a high degree of autonomy.
- Fully committed and motivated to achieve the aims of the UN World Food Programme.
Willing to work in and travel to different field locations and challenging operating environments.
- Fluency in written and spoken English required. Intermediate knowledge of another official UN language is beneficial.
Terms and Conditions:
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following website for detailed information on working with WFP: http://www.wfp.org
Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
VA Reference no: 128902
Closing Date: 29 November 2020
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply. WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Fighting Hunger Worldwide