Associate Finance and Budget Officer
Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.Description of task
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of the Budget Officer/Fund Management Officer, the UN Volunteer Project Management Assistant will:
- Prepare cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of office resource requirements such as staff and non-staff requirements, including programmatic aspects; reviews, analyses and revises data with respect to the finalization of the budget proposals.
- Provide support to programme officers with respect to the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Administer the allotments in accordance with the established procedures including redeployment/reallocation of funds.
- Administer and monitor extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
- Monitor budget implementation and determine/recommend reallocation of funds when necessary.
- Monitor expenditures to ensure that they remain within authorized/approved levels.
- Review all requisitions generated by the Umoja system for goods and services to ensure correct objects of expenditure have been charged and confirm availability of funds.
- Prepare relevant documentation with respect to budget performance submissions.
- Review and make appropriate recommendations with respect to the finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Provide substantive support to intergovernmental and legislative bodies.
- Act as certifying officer, certifying the availability of adequate funds, under Financial Rule 105.5 in adherence with the UN Regulations and Rules
- Assist in the preparation of the Science Division project budgets and reports:
- Assist in the coordination of project implementation of the Science Division Programme
- Monitor expenditures on a timely basis, ensuring that they are within the approved budget
- Assist in the preparation of financial reports to be submitted to donors.
- Assists staff members, Fund Management Officers and donors regarding queries on payment and deposit-related issues.
- Keep up to date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
- Provide data for the preparation of bids, purchase orders, consultant contracts and commercial contracts, as relevant.
- Participate in meetings, assisting in the presentation of financial reports and progress reports to project teams and donors.
- Provides guidance, training and daily supervision to other general service staff in the area of responsibility.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Master’s degree (or equivalent) in Finance/Accounting, Economics, Public administration. Professionally qualified accountants from an internationally recognized institute of accountancy will have a distinct advantage.Required experience: 24 Months Experience remark:
- At least 2 years of professional work experience in a Finance/Accounting role in a large organization preferably in an NGO;
- Demonstrated experience using an ERP financial system
- Experience in providing financial and budget support to programme/projects;
- Demonstrated experience at developing financial reports for senior management
- Demonstrated knowledge of IPSAS/IFRS
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, Power Point etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling web-based management systems.
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity, Working in TeamsApplication procedure:
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup.
Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call for to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 20 January 2021