UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Reports to: Head of Country Programme
Pay level: SC6
The United Nations Human Settlements Programme, UN-Habitat, is the United Nations agency for human settlements. It is mandated by the UN General Assembly to promote socially and environmentally sustainable towns and cities with the goal of providing adequate shelter for all. The Programme has been operational in Lebanon since 2006 with main focus areas: urban planning, and capacity building to local authorities as well as public institutions.
The Country Programme is seeking the recruitment of a Communications Assistant who works directly under the supervision of the Head of Programme with oversight from the Head of Operations Unit.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Country Programme, the Communications Assistant will be in charge of undertaking the following functions and tasks:
Communications and visibility:
- Support in setting up and implementing a programme-wide communications strategy and work plan that covers project activities, enhancing advocacy and visibility, targeting donors, beneficiaries and stakeholders.
- Ensure adequate communication coverage, through a variety of tools (written, video/audio, social, media) of project activities and products, deliverables, objectives and results to key donors, stakeholders and beneficiaries.
- Develop daily content as appropriate for UN-Habitat Lebanon and UN-Habitat global social media platforms, providing updated information on project activities, best practices, translated documents, training activities and conferences, case studies, etc. and provide relevant information to national and international media on UN-Habitat projects’ activities.
- Support the development/production of communication and advocacy instruments and materials for marketing and awareness-raising campaigns, including briefing materials and press releases in coordination with the supervisor and related Head of Units.
- Research, prepare, fact-check, edit and produce professional media and communications materials for target audiences and ensure their timely dissemination via UN-Habitat communications channels, ensuring highest quality standards.
- Draft human impact stories, media releases, statements and media briefing notes, working in conjunction with relevant focal points and keeping sensitive to needs of both internal and external audiences.
- Develop graphic content, including video and audio including but not limited to infographics, social media visuals, video scripts and story-lines.
- Support in developing a visibility strategy for the Country Programme that will promote achieved activities, role of local actors, contribution of partners, etc.
- Assist in preparing work plans for each project to enhance activity visibility, in line with the project visibility plan and donor visibility requirements.
- Support in sharing innovative visibility tools and materials to be adopted for the implementation of the strategy.
- Create and maintain a communication and visibility database with all documents translated, documents produced, relevant publications, training modules, projects reports, workshops and conferences reports, photography, videos and others.
- Maintain and expand media and mailing list contacts of the UN-Habitat Lebanon Country Programme and field queries and messages to the programme’s mailbox.
- Engage with communications focal points of United Nations agencies in Lebanon to ensure complementarity and visibility for activities of the UN-Habitat Lebanon Country Programme.
Logistical support and backstopping:
- Logistical support to the organization regarding publicity/outreach and communications for the programme, workshop/events and promotional opportunities.
- Arrange briefings and meetings with national and international media.
- Review of translations, contacts with graphic designers, printing houses and other suppliers to ensure production of good quality materials.
- Take part in the production of projects regular narrative and final reports capturing all deliverables and achievements of the projects’ activities highlighting the recommendations.
- Support in proofreading and translation for various communication products – Arabic and English Language.
- Develop/maintain project social networks’ communication platform (website, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter) and propose sustainable long-term solutions for consistent and regular content creation.
- Draft and/or edit and disseminate press releases, advisories, fact-sheets, press/media kits and updated information and stories to inform media, key partners and the general public of UN-Habitat program initiatives, results and successes, and other achievements; post stories on corporate website.
- Provide logistical support for the organization of advocacy and knowledge-sharing events, roundtable discussions, press conferences, briefing sessions, and interviews.
- Excellence in written and oral communication and in interpersonal relationships
- Demonstrated capacity to innovate and think creatively
- Knowledge and practical experience in publishing
- Strong organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to adapt quickly to new work environments, to establish and maintain good work relations with individuals of differing backgrounds, and to work under pressure
- Work collaboratively with colleagues to achieve Programme goals
- Proactive, action-oriented, creative, takes initiative and is innovative
Required Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, media, digital content production or related field.
- University degree with a minimum of 3 years’ experience in communications, public relations, graphic content development, journalism, publishing, media, marketing or related field.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic. Knowledge of French is an asset.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.