Senior Project Assistant, Sri Lanka Program
Sri Lanka (Sri Lanka)
Senior Project Assistant, Sri Lanka Program
Based in Seoul, the Global Green Growth Institute (GGGI) is an intergovernmental organization founded to support and promote a model of economic growth known as "green growth" which targets key aspects of economic performance such as poverty reduction, job creation, social inclusion, and environmental sustainability. The organization partners with countries, multilateral institutions, government bodies, and the private sector to help build economies that grow strongly and are more efficient and sustainable in the use of natural resources, less carbon intensive, and more resilient to climate change.
GGGI has a diverse portfolio of programs in developing countries around the world. These in-country programs, together with global products and services, focus on delivering results through an integrated approach of evidence-based green growth planning and implementation aligned to countries’ development priorities. The organization also focuses on knowledge development and management activities which build a strong theoretical and empirical basis for green growth, while providing concrete options and guidance for policymakers; as well as building the conditions for public and private green infrastructure investments.
In Sri Lanka, GGGI is working under the guidance of, and in close collaboration with the Ministry of Environment. The National Designated Authority (NDA), the Ministry of Environment through the Climate Change Secretariat, nominated GGGI to be its delivery partner for the implementation of the GCF NAP Readiness Support. Aimed at building resilience of the most vulnerable sectors and communities in Sri Lanka to adverse effects of climate change by strengthening the country’s capacity and system to implement the National Adaptation Plan, the project will be implemented by GGGI in close coordination with the NDA.
Reporting to the Program Lead/NAP Team Leader, GGGI is looking for a Senior Assistant, a new fixed-term position to assist the implementation of the readiness support project.
The Senior Assistant provides comprehensive administrative and logistical support for effective implementation of the project activities. S/he is in charge of processing budget executions and office cash controls in line with GGGI finance policies and accounting standards; carrying out procurement plans and managing contract payments; administering office HR requisitions and onboarding procedures; responding to the reporting and management requirements of development partners on designated projects; in keeping with GGGI policies, standards and donor requirements.
- Execute administrative transactions in program operation and office management fully meeting established institutional policies, standards and donor requirements across budget execution, Finance, procurement, HR processes implementation, and other operational functions.
- Provide in-country coordination support.
- Support data collection and research work.
- Support the NAP Team Leader in implementing activities.
- Master ERP functionalities and other administrative applications; provide technical assistance for the project team on the system, applications, and reporting formats
- Inform the team on the up-to-date policies, procedures and reporting requirement of all administrative transactions; provide alerts on upcoming deadlines for the country team
- Identify issues and risks that will affect consistent program and office operation and report to the Program Lead/NAP Team Leader.
- Monitor project activities to report on status. Ensure project data is presented in a timely manner to support project management/oversight, prepares periodic financial and corresponding brief narrative reports, and recommends adjustments to budget and work plan, if necessary.
- Execute office budget disbursement and spending following budget execution plans and schedules in line with yearly work program and budget
- Manage office bookkeeping and cash control; manage financing documents according to GGGI standards and rules; manage periodic office bank account reconciliation and book closing
- Administer procurement plans and manage contract payments in line with yearly work programs, outsourcing plans and budget lines
- Administer country office HR requisitions and onboarding procedures based on approved headcounts
- Place initial screening and controls on office spending, procurement requests and contract issuance
- Verify data and provide consistency check on data entry and document from spending and expenses of country office operation
- Develop reports on country specific administrative issues (office banking solutions, visa processing, logistics solutions, etc.) based on identified needs and requests
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, finance, public administration or management, or any related discipline relevant to the assignment. Relevant professional experience may be considered to supplement educational degree
- Preferably around three years of professional experience in any of the above fields. Candidates would preferably have experience working in multi-cultural environment
- Good understanding of climate change
- Knowledge and experience of working with government institutions and development partners in Sri Lanka
- Good English communication (speaking, writing and presentation) skills, including publication of written material and ability to produce high-quality visual aids; and excellent local language skills
- Proven project delivery experience, i.e. administering the delivery of results on budget and time
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability to work under pressure and to establish and maintain effective work relationships with people of different backgrounds
- Experience in data analysis, research, and application of quantitative/qualitative assessment
- Experience in event organization, outreach and communication
- Understands and actively supports GGGI’s mission, vision and values
- Promotes an organizational culture of trust, transparency, respect and partnership
- Processes and shares information easily and is excellent at problem solving
- Manages emotions and stress positively, builds rapport and resolves conflict easily
This position is open to Sri Lanka nationals only. The successful applicant would ideally take up the position as soon as possible, with a contract end date as of Feb 2024.
Child protection – GGGI is committed to child protection, irrespective of whether any specific area of work involves direct contact with children. GGGI’s Child Protection Policy is written in accordance with the Convention on the Rights of the Child.