Assistant to a Coordinator for the virtual community of practice on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (GEWE)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Placing women's rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States' priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.UN Women and the Government of Kazakhstan intend to set-up as a virtual community of practice for the Central Asia to advance gender equality. It will operate as a virtual learning platform to convene knowledge on priority GEWE issues in the current context of COVID-19 recovery and building back better. It will provide a space for partners from national Women/Gender Equality mechanisms, Gender Focal Points from the sectoral ministries, parliamentarians, CSOs and experts to meet regularly and exchange views and ideas on how to effectively integrate gender mainstreaming in their work, promote gender equality in line with the international standards and norms. They seek to unleash creative thinking, reduce learning lags, share best practices, provide spaces for open conversations, identify collective learning and knowledge, build on the lessons learnt, enable shared understandings and consensus-building, tease out complex issues, unbundle the “how-to” and facilitate a deeper understanding of other people’s perspectives and one’s own views and thinking process. The links between policy and programming by bringing experts and practitioners together in regular dialogues will be ensured.
Thus, the virtual learning platform is expected to support to exchange and network, enhance capacities, create a sense of community and solidarity, develop and share innovation, and increase effectiveness and efficiency in knowledge management on gender equality and empowerment of women in Central Asia, including in the context of COVID-19 for successful response and recovery.
It will also include a virtual repository that enables all partners to access knowledge products, materials and information in Russian and/or local languages. The repository will be regularly updated and a quarterly digest presenting new publication or resource materials will be produced and shared.
Under the overall guidance of the UN Women Representative in Kazakhstan and under daily supervision by the Coordinator for the virtual community of practice, the Assistant will provide technical support to the Coordinator for the virtual community of practice with various tasks related to setting-up and maintenance of the virtual community of practice through timely and high-quality interactions with partners in the Central Asian Region, support with the organization of events, creation and maintenance of the virtual repository in GEWE area.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide assistance to a Coordinator for the virtual community of practice (hereinafter the Coordinator) on Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment (GEWE) in organization of work, technical support, and guidance to partners for harmonized participation in knowledge building, sharing best practices and creation of synergies across five Central Asian countries in GEWE area;
- Provide assistance to the Coordinator in developing the workplan, based on priorities and specific thematic areas identified for knowledge sharing and link with the discussions schedule with the agreed best practices, speakers, etc.;
- Provide assistance to the Coordinator in providing technical and expert support to focal points representing participating countries;
- Provide organizational support to regional events under the supervision of the Coordinator and in close collaboration with focal points and partners in the region, including developing draft concept notes, agendas, organizing logistical arrangements for meetings, and preparing drafts of regular communications and contributing to follow up reports and action points;
- Provide assistance to the Coordinator in developing of relevant documents for identifying priorities for the dialogues between state and non-state actors in a wide range – CSOs, private sector companies, media, academia, etc.;
- Regularly provide support in coordination with the focal points of the participating countries and other partners;
- Provide assistance in overseeing design and providing maintenance and updating regularly of the OneStop multilingual platform (virtual repository);
- Assist in organizing mechanism to solicit regular inputs for the virtual repository from the focal points representing participating countries;
- Assist with strategic communications and public engagements to promote the Centre’s activities;
- Assist in preparation of the quarterly digest and reports for a wider dissemination and providing the necessary updates to partners on available knowledge products and resources on GEWE.
- Assist in developing of an outline/structure and terms of reference for e-repository of GEWE knowledge products and resources in Russian, English, and local languages;
- Assist in developing and coordination with the partners on the dissemination of a plan for the erepository materials, ensure a feedback on knowledge products, assess their usage, etc.;
- Assist in monitoring and ensuring links with the existing global community of practices, online platforms on GEWE priorities and thematic areas;
- Provide overall administrative and logistical support, as well as support with the financial management;
- Provide any other support as requested by the supervisor.
Core values:- Integrity;- Professionalism;- Respect for Diversity.
Core Competencies:- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues;- Accountability;- Creative Problem Solving;- Effective Communication;- Inclusive Collaboration;- Stakeholder Engagement;- Leading by Example.
Functional Competencies:- Good knowledge of Inter-agency processes related to gender equality and context of central Asian countries;- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;- Ability to administer and execute administrative processes and transactions;- Ability to create, edit and present information in clear and presentable formats;- Ability to manage data, documents, correspondence and reports information and workflow;- Strong financial and budgeting skills;- Strong IT skills
Required Skills and Experience
- Completion of secondary education is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or Public Administration, International Relations, International Law,Communications, and other relevant area is an asset.
Experience:- At least 3 years of progressively responsible experience in administration or programme management/support;- Experience in working in a computer environment using multiple office software packages;- Experience working with government structures or international organizations or UN is an asset;- Experience in the use of ATLAS or other ERP system is an asset;- Experience working with the regional programmes is an asset;
Languages:- Fluency in English, Kazakh, Russian, is required;- Knowledge of the other UN official working language is an asset.
EvaluationApplicants must meet the above minimum qualification requirements which will be included in the technical evaluation process in the future. The next stage of the assessment process will be maintained by cumulative analysis methodology of technical proposal (70%) and the financial proposal (30%) of the candidate.
Technical evaluation criteria:
| || |
Professional work experience
150 (3 years)
200 (3-6 years)
250 (< 6 years)
| || |
Maximum total technical scoring (70%):
Only candidates, who will accumulate at least 490 (70%) points of the maximum 700 points during the technical evaluation process, will be qualified for financial proposal*.
* Each candidate will be requested to submit financial proposal that should represent daily remuneration fee in KZT.
All applications must include (as an attachment) the completed UN Women Personal History form (P-11) whichcan be downloaded from https://www.unwomen.org/en/about-us/employment/application-process
Kindly note, that the system will only allow one attachment, hence all supporting document e.g. P11, CV and financial proposal must be scanned as one attachment. Applications without the completed UNDP P-11 form will be treated as incomplete and will not be considered for further assessment.
Note:In July 2010, the United Nations General Assembly created UN Women, the United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women. The creation of UN Women came about as part of the UN reform agenda, bringing together resources and mandates for greater impact. It merges and builds on the important work of four previously distinct parts of the UN system (DAW, OSAGI, INSTRAW and UNIFEM), whichfocused exclusively on gender equality and women's empowerment.