IPPC Communication Specialist
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender and nationality
People with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The International Plant Protection Convention (IPPC) is an international agreement on plant health with over 180 contracting parties, which aims to protect the world’s cultivated and wild plants by preventing the introduction and spread of plant pests. The IPPC is a Convention approved by the FAO Conference in adherence with Article XIV of the Constitution of the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations. The IPPC Secretariat is hosted by FAO and is responsible to facilitate the implementation of the Convention as well as the development and implementation of International Standards for Phytosanitary Measures (ISPMs) to fulfil the IPPC's mandates. The IPPC is also the implementing organization of the International Year of Plant Health (IYPH) with FAO.
The Consultant reports to the Integration and Support Team Leader, in close collaboration with the IST officer responsible for communication, IPPC Secretariat team leads, and in liaison with the Office of Communication (OCC).
Tasks and responsibilities
- Support the communication and advocacy activities of the IPPC Secretariat.
- Provide advice and input on the development of the IPPC Communication Strategy, including mechanisms for monitoring effectiveness of IPPC communications.
- Draft news and announcements to be published on the IPPC website.
- Support in the design and production of different advocacy materials (brochures, factsheets, videos, etc).
- Assist in the development of papers and presentations for the IPPC Secretariat annual meeting, mid-year meeting and monthly meetings
- Prepare/update the IPPC webpages contents.
- Draft contents for the IPPC social media channels.
- Provide any guidance, advices and proposals for improvement the IPPC governance and advocacy activities and other relevant areas.
- Develop templates and procedures aimed at improving the IPPC Secretariats working mechanisms.
- Run relevant user statistics.
- Promote knowledge sharing and exchange of best practices.
- Perform any other duty as requested.
- The above activities are envisaged to support the direct IPPC contribution to Sustainable Development Goal 2 (SDG 2): End hunger, achieve food security and improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture, as well as SDGs 8, 12, 13, 15 and 17, and to FAO Strategic Objectives 2 and 4.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• Advanced university degree in political sciences, business administration, agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), or related field;
• Ten years of relevant experience in communication, advocacy and monitoring and evaluation of communication products and projects;
• Working knowledge of English, French or Spanish and limited knowledge of one of the other two or Arabic, Chinese, Russian.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Team Work
• Building effective relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable.
• Relevance and extent of experience in communication and advocacy, particularly in news writing, and monitoring and evaluation of communication products and projects.
• Relevance and extent of experience in working with inter-governmental bodies and multi-disciplinary teams.
Desirable qualifications and skills
- Experience in a standard setting organization or a global organization dealing with plant protection is desirable.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency