Project Coordinator – Parliamentary Development Team
Suva (Fiji )
Pacific Island Countries (PICs) still face significant challenges in achieving meaningful participatory democratic governance that is responsive to the needs of ordinary citizens, including the poor and marginalised, and that promotes sustainable development. The challenges range from political instability, lack of financial and human resources capacity, including weak policy and regulatory frameworks. Participatory decision making is severely limited, with women and young people under-represented in formal political structures across the region.
In recognition of the central importance of parliaments to good governance, inclusive development and public accountability, the UNDP Pacific Office under the governance outputs in the Asia Pacific Regional Programme (APRP) has been working with Pacific parliaments for many years to strengthen their capacities to undertake their core functions of oversight, lawmaking and representation.
The UNDP PO is currently implementing the following parliament projects:
- Fiji Parliament Support Project Phase 2, 2017 – 2019 funded by Governments of Australia, Japan and New Zealand.
- Regional parliamentary programme, 2014 - 2017 for 15 PICTs funded by the Australian Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT)
- Pacific Parliamentary Effectiveness Initiative (PPEI), 2016 – 2018 focused on the 5 Pacific Island legislature funded by Government of New Zealand;
- Strengthening Legislatures in the Pacific (SLIP) Project, 2018 – 2020 focused on 6 Pacific Island legislature funded by Government of Japan.
Under the supervision of the Parliamentary Specialist / Portfolio Lead, the Project Coordinator provides programme support services ensuring high quality, accuracy and consistency of work. The allocation of time for the various functions will be agreed with the supervisor. The position is be based in Suva, Fiji.
Duties and Responsibilities
Support efficient and effective coordination, implementation and monitoring of project results and activities, for work relating to project activities.
- Prepare first drafts of progress reports, Terms of Reference (TORs), concept notes and other technical documentations for further review by Parliamentary Specialists;
- Assist Parliamentary Specialists to perform tasks related to project activities;
- Support and coordinate the implementation of project activities with implementing partners and relevant stakeholders;
- Participate, collate and provide inputs in preparation project workplans and project evaluations.
- Undertake other duties as assigned by the Parliamentary Specialists or as a proactive necessary contribution to the success of the project.
Provide technical support to the implementation and management of the Programme
- Provide substantive inputs to the annual workplan and budget;
- Support the implementation of programme activities;
- Coordinate and conduct first review of the submission of implementing partner financial and narrative reports;
Provide technical assistance and capacity development support to Programme partners
- Provide technical inputs to the implementation of programme activities with partners;
- Identify opportunities for capacity building of partners and assist in the programming support as needed.
- Maintain relationships with regional partners to support implementation and expansion of the programme;
Provide technical, financial and strategic inputs to the monitoring and reporting of the Programme
- Monitor progress on programme activity, results, and indicators; using results-based management tools;
- Monitor the implementation of proposals by responsible partners;
- Draft quarterly reports and other reports on outputs and outcomes.
Provide inputs to knowledge management and communication efforts
- Coordinate activities and events, training, workshops and knowledge products;
- Contribute to the exchange of information and provide inputs to the development of
- knowledge products internally and externally of the programme;
- Coordinate the development of knowledge management methodologies, organize and
- facilitate communities of practice.
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
| || |
Required Skills and Experience
| || |
| || |
| || |
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.