Temporary Appointment: Programme Assistant (GPE), GS5, Dili, Timor-Leste #113935 (open for Timorese Nationals only)
Under the close supervision and guidance of the Supervisor, the Programme Assistant supports the section by carrying out a range of procedural, administrative, and operational tasks, to help develop, implement and monitor their country programme, ensuring timely and effective delivery that is consistent with UNICEF rules and regulations
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone.
And we never give up.
For every child, education
How can you make a difference?
Under the close supervision and guidance of the supervisor, the Programme Assistant supports the section by carrying out a range of procedural, administrative, and operational tasks, to help develop, implement and monitor their country programme, ensuring timely and effective delivery that is consistent with UNICEF rules and regulations.
The Programme Assistant will be responsible for executing a broad variety of standardized administrative and financial tasks for the education section, in general, and support the implementation of the GPE programme activities, in particular. The incumbent will need to become familiar with UNICEF administrative and financial procedures, processes and policies as well as administrative policies and financial procedures of the government.
Key functions, accountabilities and related duties/tasks:
- Facilitating the processing of contracts for consultants, vendors and external partners that support the office in programme delivery. This includes preparing and filing documents, completing necessary forms and templates, uploading TOR's in VISION, and making necessary logistical arrangements. Keeps vendor lists, partners, and consultant rosters up-to-date.
- Collecting invoices and filing documents for approval and thereafter processing in VISION and Service Gateway.
- Preparing and maintaining records, documents and control plans for the monitoring of project/programme implementation and financial expenditures.
- Review and process payments in VISON related to HACT, supplies, PO, advances and other payments. Check the requests have the necessary supporting documents, usually the original document, validity of the charge, they are certified by the staff responsible and are coded correctly. File the transactions and the related supporting documents regularly and share copies with relevant sections as required.
- Supporting the management of administrative supplies and office equipment.
- Maintaining office calendar and arranging meetings. Taking minutes of meetings and keeping the correspondence of the team well organized.
- Providing travel assistance to staff members in section for travel arrangements and entitlements based on the organization's rules and policies. Liaising with relevant travel focal points to ensure that the organization obtains the best service and price for all travel.
- Maintaining and updating a system which monitors the absence of staff.
- Preparing and maintaining records pertaining to programme planning and development for his/her respective section.
- Carrying out transactions in VISION ensuring programme results, activities and programme coding are as per annual work plans (AWPs), and makes amendments and alterations as per section revisions when necessary.
- Supporting capacity development activities, meetings and conferences by making the logistical arrangements, through engaging with facilitators, caterers and hosts; arranging times through liaising with participants over availability; liaising with budget focal points and section over costs and needs; and preparing background materials for participants.
To qualify as an advocate for every child you will have…
- Completion of secondary education, preferably supplemented by technical or university courses related to the work of the organization.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible administrative or clerical work experience is required.
Thorough knowledge of UNICEF administrative policies and procedures.
Strong organizational, planning and prioritizing skills and abilities.
High sense of confidentiality, initiative and good judgment.
Ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Training and experience using MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint and other UNICEF software such as SharePoint
Strong office management skills.
- Fluency in English and local language of the duty station is required.
For every Child, you demonstrate UNICEF's values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The functional competencies required for this post are:
- Analyzing (1)
- Learning & Researching (1)
- Planning and organizing (1)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (1)
- Following Instructions and Procedures (1)
To view our competency framework, please visit here.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF’s values and competencies.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
- Qualified candidates are requested to complete an online candidate profile in http://jobs.unicef.org/cw/en-us/job/540892 by 11 June 2021. Only applications sent through the e-recruitment portal will be considered.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advance to the next stage of the selection process.