Senior Programme Assistant (SB-3 Peg2)
Parent Sector : Sector For Administration and Management (ADM)
Duty Station: Almaty
Job Family: Programme Coordination
Type of contract : Non Staff
Level : Level 3
Duration of contract : 1 year (with the 3 months’ probation period and the possibility of extension)
Recruitment open to : External candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 20-JUN-2021
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
(Only candidates who are entitled to work in Kazakhstan may apply to this position)OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Under the overall authority and supervision of the Director of UNESCO Almaty Office, the incumbent shall provide assistance to UNESCO Almaty Programme staff in supporting Member States in Central Asia (Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan) in the Education, Natural, and Social and Human Sciences, Culture, and Information/Communication fields within the framework of implementation of UNESCO’s Regular Programme and extra-budgetary activities according to the UNESCO rules, regulations and procedures.
In particular, the incumbent will perform the following functions:Long Description
1. Support the effective programme implementation in the UNESCO Almaty Office. The tasks include supporting the Programme units with:
a) making all the necessary logistical arrangements for seminars, workshops, meetings and other events, including communication with partners/participants, travel arrangements, visa support, local transportation, conducting competitive bidding for contractors providing lodging/venue/translation services/etc., organizing any other necessary activities for the successful and smooth conduct of events;
b) Managing updated data (for each Programme Unit) in the Office’s calendar of events and visibility calendar, on the corporate information platforms, such as: UNESTEAMS, unesco.kz, NICE;
c) Providing administrative and financial support in programme procurement activities, in liaison with the Administrative Unit: preparing procurement work plan, making cost estimates, drafting contracts’ assignments/terms of reference, identifying proper contract modalities, organizing and following up on tenders/biddings, searching and selecting vendors, coordinating with contracted organizations, process contracts in UNESCO’s computerized system DUO, prepare/submit/follow up with payment requests, coordinate contract timelines and follow-up with contractors, as necessary, or with Programme staff to ensure effective and timely implementation of Programme activities, all other procurement-related actions;
d) Monitoring budget status of implemented activities with funding from the Regular Budget and extra-budgetary contributions, such as budgets for events, contracts, travels.Long Description
2. Support the effective programme management, budgeting and administration of Programmes in the UNESCO Almaty Office. The tasks include supporting the Programme units with:
a) Preparation and analysis of budget proposals, audit, and operational and financial closure of the contracts with implementation partners;
b) Preparation of reports on budget revisions, expenditures and obligations, verification of the availability of funds and documentation in the budget system;
c) Preparation of memos and correspondence related to administrative and budgetary matters, obtaining necessary clearances, processing and follow-up on administrative actions related to programme implementation, e.g. recruitment and appointment of personnel, travel arrangements, training/study tours, authorization of payments, disbursement of funds, procurement of equipment and services, security compliance;
d) Maintenance of appropriate records of programme and financial expenditure both at the UNESCO Almaty Office and country levels and reporting on them. Also, collection of and reporting on the financial and progress reports of implementing partners;
e) Contribution to other necessary budgetary and administrative activities related to the programmes.Long Description
3. Support to knowledge management and public information activities of Programmes in the UNESCO Almaty Office. The tasks include supporting the Programme units with:
a) Maintenance of a database of governmental and development partners, civil society, experts and other stakeholders who are relevant for the Programmes;
b) Drafting of routine responses to programme information requests and inquiries of generic nature;
c) Establishment and maintenance of filing management system;
d) Support with the regular maintenance of the UNESCO Almaty Office social media communication tools (Website, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, YouTube, etc.) for UNESCO Programmes; uploading news to the Office Websites (local and HQ global DRUPAL);
e) Support with the preparation of statistical tables, graphic content, and other presentation materials about UNESCO Programmes as well as technical contributions to a variety of periodic reports;
f) Preparation of draft correspondence and communications related to all aspects of programme/programme administration, including work plan and budgets, revisions and other related issues.
4. Facilitate travel arrangements:
a) Prepare travel requests and files for official travels, organize them, and ensure follow-up in close cooperation with the Administration Unit.
5. Undertake any other related tasks or assignment requested by or the Director of Office or the Programme staff. The contract holder undertakes to carry out the tasks with care and diligence and due attention to detail.COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial) Teamwork (C) Communication (C) Planning and organizing (C) Accountability (C) Results focus (C) - For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework. REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Completed higher education degree in management, administration or another related field is required.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant work experience in secretarial, administrative and/or programme support service acquired at the national or international level.
- Experience in handling web-based management systems.
Skills and Competencies
- Ability to work as part of a multi-cultural team, to take initiative and to provide quality and timely support and services.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to draft correspondence and correct documents.
- Good organizational, coordination, problem-solving and filing skills.
- Ability to take ownership of given tasks and demonstrate proactivity.
- Ability to interpret rules and manage priorities in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Discretion and capacity to deal efficiently and tactfully with people of different cultural backgrounds.
- Ability to work under stress and cope with multiple tasks.
- Good ICT skills with proficiency in the use of MS Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.), as well as basic HTML - markup language to deal with web systems.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Russian.
- Specialized training/certification in administrative, management or related fields.
- Working experience within UNESCO or UN agencies.
- Knowledge of Kazakh.
- Salary: *636,861 KZT monthly (including 10% for pension and 5% for medical insurance).
(*subject to change in case of changes in UNESCO Almaty SC salary scale)
- UNESCO's salaries are paid in local currency (Kazakh tenge).
- Other benefits include: 2.5 days annual leave for each completed month of service, 5% for medical insurance and 10% for pension plan are included into the monthly salary.
- Please note that UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.Footer
UNESCO applies a zero tolerance policy against all forms of harassment.
UNESCO is committed to achieve and sustain gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities, as well as nationals from non-and under-represented Member States (last update here) are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.