Head of Business Operations Consultant
WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
Head of Business Operations Consultant
WFP Innovation Accelerator, INKA, Munich, Germany
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. We are currently seeking to fill an Innovation Accelerator Head of Business Operations Consultancy position in the INKA division, based in Munich, Germany.
Brief description of WFP Innovation Accelerator, INKA:
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the United Nations frontline agency fighting hunger. WFP reaches more than 100 million people every day - delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with smallholder farmers, communities, and governments to improve nutrition and build resilience.
The WFP Innovation Accelerator was named by Fast Company as Most Innovative Non-Profit Organization 2021 for its work in identifying, nurturing, and scaling disruptive start-ups and innovations to end global hunger. Based in Munich, Germany, the Innovation Accelerator provides WFP employees, entrepreneurs and start-ups with funding, hands-on support, and access to WFP’s global operations. Through the Innovation Accelerator, WFP is leveraging unprecedented advances in digital innovation - such as mobile technology, artificial intelligence and blockchain - and new business models to transform the way it serves vulnerable communities across the world. In 2020, Accelerator supported innovations that positively impacted the lives of 3.7 million people globally. Most recently, the Accelerator runs programmes for external partners such as the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation and others.
- Title of Post: Head of Business Operations Consultant
- Unit: Innovation Accelerator, Innovation and Knowledge Management Division (INKA)
- Country: Germany
- Duty Station: Munich
- Initial contract duration: 11 months
- Expected Start Date: 01.08.2021
Duties and responsibilities:
The incumbent, reporting to Head of Business Development/Chief of Staff, is expected to:
Manage the Business Operations team (a team of approximately 10 team members):
- Supervise, guide and manage the Business Operations team;
- Ensure the design and development of standard operating procedures and process improvements, and ensure adoption by the Accelerator team;
- Define key performance indicators (KPIs), Objectives and Key Results (OKRs) and milestones for the Business Operations activities and ensure their implementation and reporting;
- Ensure that all business operations activities are planned and implemented in an effective and efficient manner, with all relevant internal and external clients and stakeholders; and
- Contribute to the implementation of the strategy of the Accelerator.
Manage complex office and virtual operations of the overall Accelerator and its core function, by ensuring the performance of Business Operations functions:
Provide guidance and advice to direct team members and managers several functions including:
- Office operations activities, including asset management, IT and security, workplace security and safety as per WFP policies;
- Procurement and grant processes of the Accelerator (including for Accelerator operations and innovation events);
- Human resources and talent topics (including team planning, recruitment, retention, people development and separation);
- Take the overall lead and execute the planning and implementation of in-person and virtual events as required;
- Lead and carry out discussions with WFP managers and colleagues in other divisions or WFP operations (including HR, Legal, Procurement, IT, Finance and Security) or with stakeholders in other organizations when applicable.
- Provide guidance and advice to direct team members and managers several functions including:
Actively lead Accelerator’s development through effective management:
- Lead efforts with the overall goal of making the Accelerator a more effective platform, while ensuring compliance with WFP policies in operations including facets such as the use of vendors and subcontractors, partnerships, contracts and reporting;
- Provide analysis & content preparation for corporate priority topics and executive management meetings; and
- Support the Head of the Innovation Accelerator and the Director of Innovation and Knowledge Management with any other activities and tasks as required.
Required qualifications and experience:
The candidate must have a master’s degree; a degree in business, international development preferred.
At least 8 years of progressively responsible international experience in a start-up management role, start-up accelerator, innovations in private businesses or innovations in the humanitarian or international development sector. At least 3 years in a large organization and 3 years of experience in managing an international team of at least 6 team members, including experienced team members.
Required soft skills/WFP Competencies:
- Demonstrated leadership in operations topics (including HR, procurement, legal, events) with strong planning and analytical skills.
- Experience in leading multinational teams (innovation-focused team is a plus), including work planning, operational management and team development (either large private sector and/or large non-profit organizations).
- In-depth knowledge of UN system processes.
- Passion and understanding of technology innovations (e.g. mobile apps, blockchain, artificial intelligence) and business model innovations, is a plus.
- Experience working cross-functionally and getting things done in a scrappy and hands-on way.
- Worked in a large-scale organization or with a client/in partnership with a large-scale organization.
- Strong time management skills with an ability to plan ahead, anticipate requirements, problems and obstacles, and an ability to juggle competing priorities successfully and to work to tight deadlines.
- Able to generate new and original solutions to complex problems and to design new product ideas.
- Strong conceptual thinking to develop new strategies & innovative projects.
- Able to interact with a broad range of senior stakeholders, leaders and external audience with maturity and tact.
- Excellent communication/presentation skills, with the ability to write planning and strategy documents, develop business plans and write and deliver presentations.
- Collaborative spirit, able to manage and partner with a wide range of people at all levels and across different cultures and to act with credibility and diplomacy.
- Self-motivated and able to work with a high degree of autonomy.
- Sets a high level of ambition for the team and own work to achieve impact for the hungry people we serve.
- Fully committed and motivated to achieve the aims of the UN World Food Programme.
- Fluency in oral and written English mandatory. Knowledge of German is a plus.
Terms and Conditions:
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit the following website for detailed information on working with WFP: http://www.wfp.org
Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
VA Reference no: 142583
Closing Date: 5 July 2021
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply. WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Fighting Hunger Worldwide