Senior Policy Specialist
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented member nations, and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and to uphold our values. FAO has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and FAO, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority, and discrimination
- All selected candidates, therefore, will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- The incumbent may be re-assigned to different activities and/or duty stations depending on the evolving needs of the Organization
The Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia (REU) is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning, and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It oversees the network of Country Offices and the Subregional Office for Central Asia. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO's strategic response to regional priorities. REU advises the decentralized Offices in the Region on Corporate priorities such as the Strategic Framework and on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget. REU formulates, implements approved programmes and monitors the level of programme implementation in the Region and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. REU develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The Regional Priorities are translated by the Regional Initiatives (RIs) into a programmatic umbrella for the Region supporting the formulation of the Country Programmes (CPFs) and the contribution to the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) at country level. The RIs support the regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The position is located in the Regional Office for Europe and Central Asia, Budapest Hungary.
The Senior Policy Specialist reports to the Regional Programme Leader for Europe and Central Asia and maintains contact with FAO headquarters in Rome for functional guidance on matters relating to policy and governance support in the food and agricultural sectors.
Under the overall umbrella of the Strategic Framework 2022-2031, which has been developed in the context of major global and
regional challenges in the areas of FAO's mandate, including the COVID-19 pandemic, the incumbent pprovides analytical and technical assistance support for results-based policy assistance and governance work of decentralized offices in the Region in relation to policy issues and programmes.
Tasks and responsibilities
• Analyse relevant technical social, economic, environmental, and technology information, data and/or statistics for input in various documents
• Lead the work carried out by technical or policy officers from HQ or out-posted staff in the Decentralized Offices in relation to policy and governance work under FAO’s strategic framework
• Advocate strategic partnerships, best practices, and policy dialogue in support of enhanced policies and governance for food and nutrition security, sustainable agriculture and food systems
• Interact with UN Regional and Country teams to improve cross-sectoral policies and strategies concerning agriculture, food, and nutrition security and sustainable development
• Analyse regional and country-level issues to provide input into the identification of country and regional priorities and requirements
• Lead the formulation of the regional results for the workplan 2022-2023 related to policy support in the Region in line with the new FAO Strategic Framework 2022-31 and the Programme Priority Areas 2022-23
• Lead the support to the formulation of the Country Programme Frameworks and the UNSDCFs including quality control and strategic guidance.
• Lead technical support and quality assurance to the formulation of national, subregional food and nutrition security policies and agricultural and rural development policies, including poverty reduction;
• Contribute to the support for the national and regional dialogues for the Global Food Systems Summit and the Regional IBC on Sustainable Food Systems.
• Provide technical support to FAO strategic partnerships and cooperation initiatives with the relevant REIOs and their member states, UN agencies, and the organized private sector and farmers/traders organizations;
• Lead the contribution of the FAO in the Region to the knowledge sharing and exchange on policies within the established UN Regional Collaboration Platform (RCP)
• Assist in the preparation of policy papers and documents relating to EU/EEU, the UN Regional Partners and other
• regional organizations, which are of interest to the Organization;
• Lead the collaboration with UNECE in relation to trade work for the Region
• Assist the organization of strategic meetings, workshop and dialogue for accelerating implementation of programmes;
• Provide assistance in periodic implementation progress updates of the FAO strategic partnerships and cooperation initiatives with the
• REIOs and the organized private sector and farmers/traders organizations.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
• University degree in political sciences, agricultural economics, development economics, rural sociology, food security, nutrition, sustainable agriculture (including livestock, forestry and fisheries), or related field
• At least 10 years of relevant experience in policy analysis and policy assistance work, relating to food and nutrition security, agriculture and rural development
• Working knowledge of English and limited knowledge of Russian for COF.REG. Working knowledge of English for PSA.SBS.
FAO Core Competencies
• Results Focus
• Building Effective Relationships
• Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
• Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions
• Demonstrated experience in collecting and analysing technical information and data
• Knowledge and experience in the field of policy analysis and policy support work
• Experience in the preparation, editing and revision of technical/scientific documents and in organizing meetings and workshops
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency