Inter-Agency Coordination Intern
New York City (United States of America)
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
The UN Women’s UN System Coordination Division (UNSCD) leads the operationalization of the intergovernmental mandate to “lead, coordinate and promote the accountability of the United Nations system in its work on gender equality and the empowerment of women” at the corporate, regional and country team levels. The UNSCD is responsible for implementing system-wide accountability frameworks on gender mainstreaming: the UN-SWAP at corporate level and the UNCT-SWAP Gender Equality Scorecard at country team level. The Division seeks to contribute to enhancing coherence in the work of the UN system on Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women.
The Inter-Agency Coordination Intern is a member of the UN System Coordination Division’s team, which is part of the Strategic Partnerships, Coordination and Intergovernmental Bureau of UN Women.
Under the direct supervision of the Inter-Agency Coordination Specialist and the guidance of the Coordination Advisor, the intern will assist the UNSCD by: facilitating the planning and organizing of the annual conference and other events/webinars; conducting thematic research with substantive drafts; supporting internal and external communications, and assisting in the overall coordination of the work of the UN-SWAP team.
Duties and Responsibilities
Description of Responsibilities
- Facilitate the planning, execution and follow-up of the upcoming UN-SWAP annual conference;
- Facilitate the design and launch of the division website;
- Conduct research on selected thematic areas, emerging trends (e.g. innovation, digitalization etc.) on gender equality and gender mainstreaming with substantive inputs drafted;
- Support the knowledge management and communication work for the UN-SWAP community, including but not limited to: newsletters, stories, webinars, UN-SWAP reporting review etc.
- Participate in relevant events on behalf of the Division and come up with solid briefings/suggestions;
- Get familiar with the up-to-date gender equality and gender mainstreaming work in the UN system, responding to the 17 sustainable development goals.
Exposure and participation in the gender experts community across the UN System
- Respect for Diversity
- Awareness and Sensitivity Regarding Gender Issues
- Creative Problem Solving
- Effective Communication
- Inclusive Collaboration
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Leading by Example
Please visit this link for more information on UN Women’s Core Values and Competencies:
- Strong Academic background in international development social sciences, development studies, gender, communications, or other related fields;
- Strong interpersonal and communication (verbal, listening, writing) skills;
- Ability to think and work logically, precisely and with attention to detail;
- Adheres to deadlines and follows up on time-bound issues;
- Maintains diplomacy, tack and strict confidentiality with internal and external partners and clients;
- Initiative, sound judgement demonstrates ability to work harmoniously with staff members of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Required Skills and Experience
- University studies in one of the following disciplines: international relations, public management, gender, sustainable development, innovation and technology, or other relevant subjects is required.
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree programme (minimum Bachelor's level or equivalent); Have graduated with a university degree and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one-year period of graduation, or Be enrolled in a postgraduate professional traineeship program which is part of a degree programme and undertake the internship as part of the program requirements.
- Excellent communication skills (written and oral) in English are required;
- Working knowledge of another UN language is an advantage.