Procurement and Logistics Officer
Addis Ababa (Ethiopia)
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Job-specific
Established in 2009, UNOPS Ethiopia Office has been providing services to various partners, including the government of Ethiopia, UN agencies such as WHO, UNHCR and WFP, and other international organizations. In 2014, the UNOPS Executive Director decided to establish the UNOPS Ethiopia Multi Country Office (ETMCO), which manages and coordinates the UNOPS activities in Ethiopia, as well as Sudan and Djibouti.
UNOPS ETMCO activities range from tailor-made administration, operations, human resources and logistics support for implementation of development and humanitarian projects; infrastructure and procurement management services; and advisory services to partners to facilitate effective procurement, supply and financial management.Under the guidance and direct supervision of the Procurement Specialist , the Procurement and Logistics Officer is responsible for making sure that requests of various clients and partners, including UN agencies and governments, are serviced in a quality and timely manner. Accordingly, s/he manages and ensures the provision of efficient and timely procurement and contract administration support to various clients at the duty station.
- Timely and duly prepare procurement plans for the office and projects and monitoring of their implementation.
- Prepare tender documents such as RFQ, ITB or RFP and other instruments related to market research or market survey such as RFI and EOI.
- Preparation of quotations in the UNWEBBUY website
- Preparation of Pro-forma invoice and contract documents prior to submission for signature to the relevant Procurement Authority
- Receipt of bid documents, review of the same, contracts and/or purchase orders as well as results of evaluation of bids/proposals and other formal/public documents;
- Preparation of LCPC/HQCPC case submissions as well as all subsequent response to queries;
- Ensure full compliance to the Financial Regulations and Rules of UNOPS and its Procurement Manual;
- Prepare weekly requisition status reports providing the most updated information about the status of each requisition;
- Perform such other duties and responsibilities germane or analogous to the functions of a Procurement Officer.
- Render advice to other UNOPS personnel on a range of procurement issues in relation to the cases under review;
- Provide guidance to Procurement personnel and Project personnel on matters relating to UNOPS’ procurement manual; UN web buy; UN procurement Market place etc
- Represent Procurement department in meetings and such other discussions where procurement matters are relevant.
- Monitor the progress of shipments for UNOPS and its clients and coordinate the delivery of the same at the client’s delivery places
- Travel to the regions within Ethiopia in support of any programme issues that require additional support services
- Establish effective relations with the different Project Managers in a proactive manner
- Contributes in management of procurement contracts.
- Implementation of the internal control system which ensures that Purchase orders are duly prepared and dispatched. Timely corrective actions on POs with budget check errors and other problems.
- Development and management of the rosters of suppliers, elaboration of supplier selection and evaluation, quality and performance measurement mechanisms.
- Assists in planning, designing and implementation of appropriate logistics systems including warehousing and in country transport capacity, including establishment of Long Term Arrangements and frame agreements for e.g. customs clearance, storage, transport and distribution as might be required.
- Raises logistics bottlenecks to supervisor for prioritization.
- For emergencies: Coordinates with logistics cluster, and ensures UNOPS interest and supplies are given appropriate priority.
- Identify, register and follow procurement project risks and escalate them when ever necessary.
- Facilitate and follow-up timely clearance, delivery and handover of goods and consignments to partners
- Assists in organizing training for the operations/ projects staff on Procurement.
- Assists in preparation and synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in Procurement.
|Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization.|
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Master’s Degree or equivalent in Purchasing and Supply Chain Management, Management and Business/Public Administration or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with required qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- CIPS and/or other Procurement Practitioner Certification would be considered a significant asset
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience for Master's Degree or 4 years of relevant experience for first-level university degree at the national or international level in procurement management.
- Experience in procuring requirements of significant complexity and value (experience in procuring infrastructure works would be an advantage);
- UN experience and working knowledge of the ERP system is an advantage.
- Experience in procuring high-value requirements(experience in establishing long-term supply contracts would be an advantage);
- Fluency in written and oral English is required. Knowledge of other UN working language desirable
Contract type, level and duration
This is a local position and therefore it is open to only Nationals of Ethiopia.
Contract type: Local Individual Contractor
Contract level: LICA 9
Contract duration: Ongoing ICA – ‘Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance.’
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- This is a local position and therefore it is open to only Nationals of Ethiopia
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.