Health Programme/ M&E Associate
Under the overall guidance of the ARR(P) and Health Programme Specialist, the Health Programme/ Monitoring & Evaluation Associate ensures effective delivery of the CO programme by supporting programme implementation consistent with UNDP rules and regulations. The incumbent reports to the Health Programme Specialist in carrying the programme associate duties (50%) and to the ARR in carrying M&E duties (50%).
The Health Programme/ Monitoring & Evaluation Associate can supervise clerical and support staff of the Programme Unit. The Health Programme/ Monitoring & Evaluation Associate works in close collaboration with the operations, programme and projects’ staff in the CO and UNDP HQs as required for resolving complex finance-related issues and exchange of information.
In carrying M&E duties, the incumbent will also contribute to the development of CO strategic planning, monitoring, reporting and application of RBM tools, as well as effective implementation of the evaluation policy, ensure that minimum monitoring and evaluation requirements for the Country Programme and projects are met
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of Key Functions:
- Support to formulation of programme strategies and implementation of the Country Programme Action Plan
- Support to management of the CO programme
- Administrative support to the Programme Unit
- Support to resource mobilization
- Support in implementation of Monitoring and Evaluation policy at the country office
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
1. Supports formulation of programme strategies and implementation of the Country Programme Action Plan focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Collection, analysis and presentation of background information for preparation of CCA, UNDAF, CPD, CPAP, effective application of RBM tools and establishment of management targets (BSC).
- Presentation of background information for formulation of country programme, draft project documents, work plans, budgets, proposals on implementation arrangements.
2. Provides effective support to management of the CO programme focusing on the achievement of the following results:
- Creation of a project in Atlas, preparation of required budget revisions, revision of project award and project status, determination of unutilized funds, operational and financial close of a project.
- Provision of guidance to the executing agencies on routine implementation of projects.
- Presentation of information for audit of NEX projects, supports implementation of audit recommendations.
- Assist Health portfolio and projects mainstream gender to ensure compliance with corporate UNDP gender policy.
- Assist to Health Programme Specialist to analyze the situation in portfolio, identify the operational and financial problems and assist in suggesting the possible solutions.
3. Provides administrative support to the Programme Unit focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Review of NEX projects Financial Reports; preparation of non-PO vouchers for development projects.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, transactions are correctly recorded and posted in Atlas.
- Timely corrective actions on unposted vouchers, including the vouchers with budget check errors, match exceptions, unapproved vouchers.
- Creation of requisitions in Atlas for development projects, register of goods receipt in Atlas.
- Making budget check for requisitions, POs and vouchers.
4 . Supports resource mobilization focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Analysis of information on donors, preparation of donor’s profile.
- Back-up the Head of finance unit on tracking and reporting on mobilized resources. Review and follow up of contributions agreement, managing contributions in Atlas.
- Assisting in drafting donor proposals (workplans, budgets)
5. Support in implementation of Monitoring and Evaluation policy at the country office, focusing on achieving the following results:
- Provide inputs from UNDP side to the United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Framework (UNSDCF) M&E framework; Establish a system and identify tools for a regular monitoring of the UNDP-respective part of the framework; Represent UNDP in regular UNSDCF M&E activities including in preparation, implementation and reporting of the annual/mid-term reviews and the evaluation of the UNSDCF.
- Support development of the results based M&E system for the UNDP Country Programme Document (CPD); Establish a system and identify tools for a regular monitoring of the CPD M&E framework; Ensure annual review and reporting against the set indicators and targets; Facilitate and contribute to the evaluation efforts of the CPD as a whole, or its separate outcomes. Ensure management response and follow-up to the evaluation recommendations.
- Provide CO inputs into the corporate Integrated Results and Resources Framework reporting, including in setting and reporting country specific baselines and targets/results.
- Provide inputs in preparation of the CO Integrated Workplan and respective annual targets; facilitate mid-term and annual reporting on IWP
- Assist in compilation of quality assurance standards for the new and ongoing projects according to the relevant policies;
- Assist to the Programme Analysts to follow up on performance indicators/ success criteria, targets and milestones and preparation of reports if requested; Provide advice on a formulation of Project RRF/ log frame, including on setting baselines, indicators and targets; Support projects in designing respective M&E frameworks;
- Assist in regular monitoring of projects’ progress against set indicators and targets;
- Assist in guiding project teams on internal and external progress reporting, including through corporate platforms (i.e. ATLAS) and to Donors.
- In line with UNDP monitoring and evaluation policies, support design of project mid-term and/or final evaluations, including support/advise to the project team in drafting evaluation TOR, participate in evaluation, ensure management response and follow up to the recommendations
6. Ensures facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing in the CO focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Organization of trainings for the programme/ projects staff on monitoring and evaluation tools
- Synthesis of lessons learnt and best practices in programme.
- Sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice.
Advocacy/Advancing A Policy-Oriented Agenda
Level 1.1: Support the preparation of information for advocacy
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for a variety of audiences
Results-Based Programme Development and Management
Level 1.1: Contributing to results through provision of information
- Provides information and documentation on specific stages of projects/programme implementation
- Provides background information to identify opportunities for project development and helps drafting proposals
Building Strategic Partnerships
Level 1.1: Maintaining information and databases
- Analyzes general information and selects materials in support of partnership building initiatives
- Maintains databases of donor information
- Tracks and reports on mobilized resources
Innovation and Marketing New Approaches
Level 1.1: Implementing processes and uses products
- Documents and tracks innovative strategies/best practices/new approaches
- Responds positively to new approaches
Resource Mobilization (Field Duty Stations)
Level 1.1: Providing information for resource mobilization strategies
- Maintains information/databases on potential and actual donors
- Maintains database of project files
- Provides data and information needed for preparation of project documents
Promoting Organizational Learning and Knowledge Sharing
Level 1.1: Basic research and analysis
- Researches best practices and poses new, more effective ways of doing things
Job Knowledge/Technical Expertise
Level 1.1: Fundamental knowledge of processes, methods and procedures
- Understands the main processes and methods of work regarding to the position
- Possesses basic knowledge of organizational policies and procedures relating to the position and applies them consistently in work tasks
- Strives to keep job knowledge up-to-date through self-directed study and other means of learning
- Demonstrates good knowledge of information technology and applies it in work assignments
- Demonstrates in-depth understanding and knowledge of the current guidelines and project management tools, and utilizes these regularly in work assignments
Global Leadership and Advocacy for UNDP’s Goals
Level 1.1: Research and analysis
- Identifies relevant information for advocacy for UNDP’s goals for a variety of audiences
Level 1.1: Maintains effective client relationships
- Reports to internal and external clients in a timely and appropriate fashion
- Organizes and prioritizes work schedule to meet client needs and deadlines
- Responds to client needs promptly
- Demonstrating/safeguarding ethics and integrity
- Demonstrate corporate knowledge and sound judgment
- Self-development, initiative-taking
- Acting as a team player and facilitating team work
- Facilitating and encouraging open communication in the team, communicating effectively
- Creating synergies through self-control
- Managing conflict
- Learning and sharing knowledge and encourage the learning of others. Promoting learning and knowledge management/sharing is the responsibility of each staff member.
- Informed and transparent decision making
Prince2 training and certification, RMG
Required Skills and Experience
Secondary Education, preferably with specialized certification in Accounting and Finance. University Degree in Business or Public Administration, Economics, Political Sciences and Social Sciences would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
6 years of progressively responsible administrative or programme experience is required at the national or international level. Experience with Monitoring and Evaluation of programme or projects, M&E systems and processes. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc) and advance knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems.
Fluency in English and Russian; knowledge of Turkmen language is an asset
Important applicant information
All posts in the GS categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.