Economic Empowerment Officer
Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the International Rescue Committee (IRC) (www.Rescue.org) helps people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster, to survive, recover and gain control of their future. The IRC responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. At work today in over 42 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. IRC has worked in Liberia since 1996 and is one of the largest humanitarian actors in the country.
The IRC has worked in partnership with the Ministry of Gender, Children, and Social Protection (MOGCSP), the Ministry of Health (MOH) and the Ministry of Justice (MOJ) Sexual and Gender-Based Violence Crimes Unit to serve as allies to women and girls and create safer communities for all.
The GBV Empowerment Officer will be based in Monrovia. Empowerment Officer will be responsible for conducting assessments and leading awareness raising activities in select communities on village savings and loan associations (VSLAs). In collaboration with team members, this staff will ensure that all selected communities are mobilized to carry out EA$E activities, group members are trained on VSLA approaches, and items for EA$E activities are available.
The Officer will facilitate groups by supporting local partners in monitoring VSLA activities and will work with community facilitators to facilitate discussion group sessions with women and their spouses, with emphasis on social and economic empowerment and business skills training curricula.
- Monitor 18 existing VSLA groups, 16 replicated groups and 4 newly established groups on VSLA activities.
- Work closely with partners implementing in One Stop Center catchment communities in Montserrado.
- Lead all ToT for partners
- Support partners in establishing new self-selected VSLA groups in Montserrado, Lofa and Nimba
- Support partners in leading VSLA training sessions.
- Provide weekly updates and monthly reports to ensure that VSLA progress is documented
- Closely monitor partners in documenting VSLA member’s savings, social funds and loans.
- Work closely with supervisor and M&E staff to ensure the accuracy and value of data collected on a regular basis.
- Monitor VSLA training sessions.
- Monitor the distribution and utilization of VSLA toolkits by new groups.
- Monitor DGS sessions; and
- Monitor and mentor cluster groups on their respective social enterprise program.
Financial and Logistical Responsibilities
- Communicate program progress, constraints, needs identified, and any other matters pertaining to the operations of the program to supervisor;
- Communicate supply and logistical needs to supervisor and ensure adherence to all relevant IRC policies;
- Ensure adherence to the IRC Finance and Logistics Policy.
- Organize, write and submit weekly and monthly plans, updates, and reports to manager.
- Foster a sense of team spirit among program staff that is conducive to all staff improving their Knowledge and skills base.
- Ensure protection of beneficiaries from sexual exploitation and abuse by immediately reporting as per IRC Way
- Any other task designated by the Program manager to ensure proper functioning of the project.