Media and Public Relations Assistant
Honiara (Solomon Islands)
Within the delegated authority and under the supervision of UNDP SECSIP Chief Technical Adviser or his/her designated mandated representative(s), the UNV Media and Public Relations Assistant will:
1. In compliance with UNDP Rules, Regulations and policies, the incumbent will be part of SECSIP Graduate Programme. For this assignment, the incumbent will be co-located at the Solomon Islands Electoral Office (SIEO). The incumbent general duties and responsibilities will include the following:
- Assist SIEO in the planning and development of contents in connection with media and public relations actions to enhance awareness with respect to the mandate of the Solomon Islands Electoral Commission (SIEC) and its Electoral Office
- Identify and plan awareness raising activities to enhance the knowledge of media professionals on the role of the SIEC and SIEO;
- Liaise and coordinate with other stakeholders as guided by the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) and SIEO Communications and Awareness Senior Officer ;
- Provide a monthly report on the activities carried out in support of the mandates of SIEC and SIEO and UNDP SECSIP project implementation;
- Any other task as identified by SECSIP Project Manager and the CEO and SIEO Communication and Awareness Senior Officer in consultation with UNDP Project Management.
2. The tasks expected to be performed under this assignment include:
- Assist SIEO Communication and Awareness Team to continue building and expanding the relationship with national and international media
- Support to the strengthening and optimization of networks with media outlets to maximize dissemination of electoral related information through various platforms
- Assist in the identification of strategies to increase voter awareness outreach and the understanding of the electorate throughout the electoral cycle . ;
- Assist in development of key messages, provision of contents including texts, scripts and suggestions for illustrations, video and audio productions for civic and voter education and media training materials. This can include manuals, guides, brochures, leaflets, posters, videos, radio spots and other voter awareness materials
- Assist in the procurement of media services , in the production of contents and dissemination through different type of media channels including social media platforms
- Support the SIEO communication and awareness team with the preparation and effective implementation of consultations, training sessions, workshops in accordance with the approved plans. This may include facilitation of media training sessions for media professionals on election and democracy related issues
- Assist in the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation tools to measure impact and progress as a result of the activities implemented.
- Assist in the implementation of SIEO strategies and activities related to communication and awareness pertaining to voter registration, national general election, provincial assembly elections and by-elections.
- Perform other tasks as requested by UNDP SECSIP in consultation with Solomon Islands Electoral Office Communication and Awareness Senior Officer.
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant area, e.g. political science, journalism, public relations Communication and sociology or related area;
- Experience acquired after finalization of university studies in public service, media or education sectors will be considered an asset.
- Experience working in the UN or other international development organization will be considered an asset.
- Good oral and written skills for drafting and reporting; ability to support document production and editing.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; culturally and socially sensitive; ability to work inclusively and collaboratively with a range of partners, including at grassroot level with community members, religious and youth organizations, and with public authorities; familiarity with tools and communication approaches for development.
- Ability to work and adapt professionally in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel.
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet.
- Self-motivated; ability to work with tight deadlines.
- Sound security awareness.
- Have affinity with or interest in democratic governance, volunteerism as a mechanism for durable development, and the UN System.
- English(Mandatory), Level - Fluent
Experience acquired after finalization of university studies in public service, media or education sectors will be considered an asset.Driving license Competencies values Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment and Motivation, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams Application procedure * Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? First register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Link to follow for - Registration steps Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile including contact details and two references and submit it. Incomplete profiles shall not be considered. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply. * Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? First update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply. Post is for National UN Volunteer assignments ONLY. Therefore, only nationals of above-mentioned Country and legal residents with a residency permit, the status of refugee or with the status of being stateless are eligible to apply. For further details, please clink on the link below. Application deadline: 19-09-2021