Duties and Responsibilities
- Develop and/or revise work plans and provide inputs to project budgets according to the decisions of the Project Board
- Organize Project Board meetings including preparation of agendas, presentations, progress updates and overview of delivery and contingency planning
- Convene Technical Expert Group (TEG)meetings with the development of agendas and coordination with all relevant members and observers
- Anticipate all technical tasks and undertake for execution of the project to advance the activities of the Africa Adaptation Initiative and in line with the approved project’s workplan;
- Prepare the procurement plan and update it quarterly
- Draft TORs for all activities, obtain feedback as necessary from TEG as well as UNDP oversight team
- Prepare regular progress reports for submission to the donor and update reports with feedback received from the oversight team
- Preparation of PPT, technical notes and any other material to document and report on project progress as requested by the supervisor
- Preparation of power-points on project progress for regional and global forums.
- Prepare project’s progress reports, in line with UNDP and donors’ requirements
- Prepare project’s briefs and talking points for senior managers, as required;
- Delivery of specific training on climate risk information and transfer tools;
- Complete all the Quality Assurance Process documentation requirements of the State of Climate Change Adaptation in Africa Report
- Development of agendas, organization, conduction and moderation of at least project regional and training events, in collaboration with partners
- Development of a stocktaking report of baseline information on climate risk information and use of risk transfer mechanisms across Africa
- Development of a report (informed by desk research and interviews) with existing resources on lessons on climate risk information, climate information services, and adaptation planning for inclusion in the African Hub for sharing good practices;
- Development of a capacity assessment report with identified gaps and list of training materials
- Coordinate the assembling and mobilization of the team to prepare the State of Adaptation report; by preparing draft TORs for 4 experts.
- Delivery of up to 4 trainings on climate risk information and risk transfer mechanisms, and drafting of training reports;
- Development of TORs for 4 background papers for state of adaptation in Africa report;
- Oversee the review and QA process of the State of Adaptation in Africa report in line with UNDP QA processes. Convene meetings with partners/collaborators to contributing to the report.
- Provision of substantive support to ensure quality of all comms/knowledge products and technical project outputs in the work-plan, including review of stocktaking report of baseline state of climate risk information; vulnerability, and risk studies; use of climate risk transfer mechanisms;
- Identification of best practices for the development of knowledge content, in coordination with the project KM consultant (including online trainings/webinars, policy briefs, press releases and blogs and PPTs), in the areas of (i) climate risk and vulnerability; (ii) climate risk transfer; (iii) adaptation planning and adaptation finance;
- Capture lessons-learned and contribute to knowledge products, ensuring wide dissemination and visibility of Project achievements, particularly with regard to local success stories;
Any other related work/task assigned by supervisor(s).
Required Skills and Experience
- Proven experience with drafting technical papers/reports on climate change related issues;
- Demonstrated experience in knowledge management and production of technical documents and materials, including policy briefs;
- Sound understanding of sustainable human development, environmental management issues, adaptation, vulnerability and impacts of climate change and other related issues demonstrated through work experience;
- Familiarity with the UNFCCC processes on adaptation and related issues;
- Proven experience in project management and management of multi-stakeholder processes;
- Previous experience working in Africa and familiarity with climate policy and programmes on the continent.
- Experience or strong familiarity with the work of UN/DP and/or other multilateral, bilateral and civil society development partners.
Important applicant information
All posts in the SC categories are subject to local recruitment.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.