Social Development Analyst
Ref. Number: 22015
Department: Graduate Program, Investment Stream
Job Type: Global Recruitment
Posting Date: 28 December 2021
Closing Date: 6 February 2022
Social Development Analyst
The Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) is a multilateral development bank whose mission is financing the Infrastructure for Tomorrow—infrastructure with sustainability at its core. We began operations in Beijing in January 2016 and have since grown to 105 approved members worldwide. We are capitalized up to USD100 billion and Triple-A-rated by the major international credit rating agencies. Working with partners, AIIB meets clients’ needs by unlocking new capital and investing in infrastructure that is green, technology-enabled and promotes regional connectivity.
This position will be under the Investment Stream. The analysts will rotate within AIIB’s investment operations to gain experience in identifying, preparing, and monitoring investment projects for public and private sector clients.
About the role:
The Operational Services Department (OSD) of AIIB’s Investment Operations is responsible for the provision of fiduciary services aimed at ensuring the high quality of each project the Bank finances and strong compliance with AIIB’s operational policies. It supports two Vice Presidencies, Investment Operations (VP IOs) by assigning specialists in the environmental, social, procurement and financial management areas and oversees the effective implementation of AIIB’s operational policies in the realization of AIIB’s commitment to sustainable development.
The Social Development Analyst (Graduate Program) will support the integration of social dimensions into the work of the Bank, recognizing the importance of this issue in the development of sustainable infrastructure.
The position involves providing analytical support to:
(i) Address the social dimensions of policies, programs, projects, technical assistance and training;
(ii) Appraise and monitor the social risks and impacts associated with investment projects in the entire project cycle against the requirements of AIIB’s Environmental and Social Framework (ESF);
(iii) Carry out social safeguards-related research and develop a database on social safeguard parameters for AIIB projects.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Support the formulation and implementation of the social aspects of AIIB’s strategies, policies, programs and projects, including strategic planning and sector studies;
• Participate in the screening, identification, appraisal, design and implementation of investment programs and projects to evaluate social feasibility and assist in conducting social assessments;
• Appraise the social risks and impacts associated with investment projects against the requirements of AIIB's ESF;
• Support the due diligence and review of Social Impact Assessments (SIA), Resettlement Plans (RP), Indigenous Peoples Plans (IPP) and other social assessment documents across priority sectors such as water, urban, energy and transport;
• Participate in the project implementation support and monitoring of projects’ social aspects, including document review, mission activities, and project database management, etc.;
• Support the preparation and review of AIIB’s internal documents associated with projects;
• Contribute to AIIB’s knowledge base on social aspects, particularly related to Involuntary Resettlement, Indigenous Peoples and Gender.
• Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in sociology, anthropology, economics, development management, public policy or political science.
• 2-3 years (for Bachelor’s degree holders) or 1-2 years (for Master’s degree holders) of relevant experience doing research or working in social related research institutes/universities, NGOs, consulting firm is preferred.
• High levels of competency in quantitative and qualitative research methods.
• Experience of working in developing countries a plus.
• Good team player with strong initiative.
• Proficient in oral and written communication skills in English.
AIIB is committed to diversity, transparency and inclusion. We believe our strength comes from having a team with the right diverse skills, experiences and abilities selected through a merit-based competitive process. We actively encourage applications from people from both within and outside AIIB members, regardless of nationality, religion, gender, race, disability or sexual orientation.
Previous experience and qualifications will determine the grade and job title at which successful applicants will enter AIIB.
Join us and help create a prosperous and sustainable Asia while growing your career in a diverse and innovative environment.