Field Security Officer (Locally Recruited)
Under the direct supervision of the Country Manager Kenya and the technical direction from the Regional Security Officer Africa, the Field Security Officer monitors security issues in the field location keeping management and staff abreast of security risks. The incumbent advises on all aspects of security risk management and facilitates compliance with respect to security policies, procedures, and practices.
Summary of key functions:
- With the technical support and direction from the Regional Security Officer, advise SMT-Kenya and apprise IDLO employees of risks associated with the work and with the local environment, and on mitigation measures, in order to support program implementation and develop a culture of security;
- Travel throughout Kenya to carry out risk assessments and other necessary security activities in support of IDLO activities;
- Assist with the implementation of applicable security policies, ensuring that SOPs, emergency procedures, and contingency plans are in place and adhered to;
- Gather information to advise the SMT-Kenya on security matters, ensuring that a support infrastructure is in place to anticipate emerging security issues and to prepare for and manage emergencies.
- Apprise the Regional Security Officer (RSO) Africa of changes to the security situation in the country through routine reporting and assessments, as required.
- Attend global security team meetings, when required.
1. Advise the SMT-Kenya and apprise IDLO staff of risks associated with the work and with the local environment, and on mitigation measures in order to develop a culture of security:
- Maintain up to date risk assessments for IDLO programs in Kenya;
- Inspect and assess the security of IDLO facilities and third-party locations in order to recommend the appropriate approaches and risk mitigation measures consistent with established procedures and policies;
- Evaluate travel and movement requests, conduct security risk assessments as required, ensuring that appropriate mitigation measures are taken, that staff are made aware of risks, and that the necessary security protocols are observed;
2. Assist with the implementation of applicable security policies, ensuring that SOPs, emergency procedures, and contingency plans are in place and adhered to:
- Brief IDLO staff on IDLO security and safety policies and procedures, and notify them of emerging threats and general security posture at the country office;
- Respond to and report emergency situations and provide immediate guidance to involved staff, and alert SMT-Kenya and the Regional Security Officer Africa;
- Plan and implement a regular review of safety and security measures and advise SMT-Kenya of deficiencies and provide recommendations.
3. Gather information from a broad network of security contacts to advise SMT-Kenya on security matters, ensuring that a support infrastructure is in place to anticipate emerging security issues and to prepare for and manage emergencies.
4. Apprise the RSO Africa of changes to the security situation in the country through routine reporting and assessments, as required.
IDEAL CANDIDATE PROFILE
Education and Work Experience
- High school diploma/other relevant professional training in security matters.
- Five (5) years of experience in UN/NGO/IGO Security Management.
- Excellent written and oral English. Knowledge of another language of the duty station is an advantage.
Specific knowledge, skills, and competencies
- Shares information contributes, encourages, and motivates others to become involved in team activities. Provides constructive feedback and willingly helps others. Contributes to a fair environment that fosters collaboration and cooperation. Works effectively across and within IDLO organizational boundaries.
- Takes initiative to share knowledge, experiences, and information with others. Accepts and gives constructive feedback (up, down and across) to develop and motivate others.
- Proven ability to see through tasks set and deliver results.
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines, flexibility, and an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability and willingness to travel within the region, if necessary.
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity, and commitment to IDLO’s mandate. Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives;
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
For this locally recruited position, IDLO shall offer the selected candidate an Affiliate contract of 24 months, with the possibility of extension subject to performance and availability of funding.
IDLO shall also offer a yearly basic salary of Kenya shillings 3,682,800, medical insurance, and leave entitlements in accordance with IDLO Employee Regulations and Rules.
This local position is open to candidates who are nationals of the duty station, or with permanent resident status or other legal authorization permitting them to work in the duty station. An employee subject to local recruitment shall not be eligible for the allowances or benefits exclusively applicable to international employees.
In the interest of making the most effective use of resources, only the short-listed candidates will be contacted during the selection process. Applications will be screened on regular basis; a qualified applicant might be recruited before the deadline.
IDLO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and values diversity in all areas of its operations. We welcome applications of qualified and diverse candidates.
IDLO is committed to achieving a 50/50 gender balance at all levels within its workforce. Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply for IDLO vacancies.
IDLO does not tolerate sexual exploitation or abuse, any kind of harassment, including harassment of a sexual nature; or discrimination. As such, IDLO will conduct careful reference and background checks of all selected candidates as part of its selection process.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed by the employee assigned to this work. This is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities.
All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality and in compliance with IDLO’s policy on personal data protection.
The Director-General of IDLO reserves the right to amend and change responsibilities or even to cancel the recruitment to meet business and organizational needs as necessary.
Application deadline: 31 January 2021 (23:59hrs Rome Time).