We are looking to grow the Back End Team at Vizzuality with people who have working knowledge and experience using Ruby on Rails (mid & senior profiles).
We are offering for this role a salary range of 30K - 48K Euros (depending on your experience), and we are open to explore full time and part time contracts options (with a minimum of 50% time dedication) depending on the candidate's needs. We are also offering remote work for this role.
We have operations in Spain, Portugal and the UK, so you will be very welcome to join us if you live and are eligible to work in any of these 3 countries.
1.Would you like to be part of Vizzuality’s story?
Are you motivated by the desire to help build a sustainable planet for all life on Earth? Are you looking for a new opportunity?
Vizzuality’s purpose is to reach a fair and sustainable planet by creating tools that radically empower people to make positive changes now.
We are a world-leading technology agency based in Madrid, Cambridge, and Porto. We design and develop data-driven tools and applications for international organizations who focus on Climate Change, Biodiversity and Inequality.
Solving such large and complex problems will bring you into contact with new technology and some of the world’s most interesting organizations and academics in machine learning, remote sensing, and planetary data. You’ll be working on projects like these:
2.Our Culture “This is how we do things here”
Our aim is to help the world become a better place, therefore we need to make sure we care about our people and give them the power to build great things. These are some of the things that define our culture:
- Our team structure relies on self-organization.
- We want to work with colleagues who don't have to look ‘up’ for approval, nor look ‘down’ and give instructions.
- As soon as you step inside, we will provide you with the best tools and technology, and then we will trust you to do great things.
- We use our deep understanding of people’s needs to spark delight.
- Our choices are based on science, research, and design principles.
- For ourselves, our colleagues, the organization.
- We know what we do is important and we have a strong sense of responsibility for the work we do.
- As we are always embarking on new projects and challenges, a continuous learning mindset and a “Can Do” attitude is a must
- We are conscientious, we focus on learning and achieving our goals
- We give power to people so they can make decisions, and plot their own paths with help from all around them
We have fun:
- We also know that you need to balance seriousness with fun.
- If you can make people smile you will be off to a great start!
3.Skills and experiences we are looking for in a candidate
(*) Even if you think you don't tick all the boxes below, we'd still love to hear from you. Nobody checks every box, and we are looking for someone excited to join the team and aligned with our purpose!
- You have fluency and feel comfortable using Ruby on Rails (mid & senior profiles).
- A few years of experience in a relevant position (ie. Back End, Software Engineer, Full Stack Engineer etc.)
- Experience with the full life cycle of a project, including production deployments, and at least medium sized code bases.
Anything else to impress us? Over time, we’d like this role to take on more responsibilities. If you have experience across one/some/all of the areas below, or would like to learn more about any of them, we would love to hear more about it!
- SQL and/or document-based datasets in production projects.
- Infrastructure (e.g. setting up deployments, automation).
- Cloud APIs (e.g. cloud storage, cloud functions, etc.).
- Docker or container technologies for development environments and for production deployments.
- Domain driven development, event sourcing, command and query responsibility segregation.
- Node.js and/or Python.
- Data Engineering. ETL (Extract, Transfer, Load) understanding. Knowledge of algorithms and data structures.
We are a Self-Managed Organization: Below you will find some characteristics that make people successful in an organization like ours.
- Motivation: The willingness and aspiration to excel in the pursuit of unselfish, collective goals; deep personal humility and a focus on self improvement.
- Curiosity: The instinct to seek new experiences, knowledge and feedback with an openness to learning and change.
- Insight: The ability to gather and make sense of information that suggests new possibilities.
- Engagement: The capacity to use emotion and reason to communicate a persuasive vision and connect with people.
- Determination: The ability to pursue and work on difficult goals despite challenges.
4.A day in the life of a Back End Engineer at Vizzuality
We’re looking for someone to work alongside a world class and super talented team of engineers, designers, researchers, scientists and project managers. Someone who is passionate about using their creativity and technical skills to make a difference in people’s lives, the environment and to help make the world a better place.
- You will be designing and developing cross-functional, multi-platform application systems to ingest, process, analyze and serve large amounts of data in the cloud, often in real time, and ensure their craftsmanship, availability, resilience, and scalability.
- Working hands-on across our stack is one of the things Engineers at Vizzuality do the most.
- Our core stacks are Node.js/TypeScript (with Express/Koa/NestJS as main frameworks depending on projects) and Ruby on Rails. You will be working on Ruby on Rails projects and will also be experimenting with new technologies. If you don't know about a specific technology or get stuck on a tricky problem, you will always have someone around to help you learn and move forward.
- You will have the opportunity of taking ownership of projects and participating in meetings with clients at different stages of the development process in order to help define requirements, propose solutions and alternatives.
- A lot of your time will be spent liaising with data scientists, front-end engineers, project managers, and designers to find novel and creative technical solutions that solve specific client/project needs and integrate disparate technologies such as remote sensing, machine learning, image processing or statistical computing into public APIs
- You will also be communicating with users, colleagues, leading scientists and decision makers to collect requirements, describe features and technical designs, and define product strategy.
- You will elaborate technical reports and recommendations to support business development and management.
- Last but not least, our engineers ensure software quality, robustness, and compliance with standards by reviewing code, documenting, and creating automated tests.
5.These are some of the things you will be doing and achieving in your first year at Vizzuality
In 1 month.
- You’ll pair with your peers in the backend team so you get used to the way of doing things at Vizzuality.
- You’ll read documentation, write new features and participate in team meetings (weekly, with the possibility of daily stand ups on some projects).
- You’ll get to know people from the rest of the functional teams (science, design, front-end, business development) and development teams.
- At the end of your first month, you’ll be joining a longer project.
In 3 months.
- You’ll develop ownership of areas of the projects you work on.
- You’ll write features, documentation, tests and fixes. You will be joining the back end work within your project team and with support from the back end functional group.
- You’ll also have opportunities to develop your skills around data-rich application engineering, cloud computing and data processing.
In 1 year.
- You’ll already have written several innovative features for ground-breaking projects with large real-world impact (we absolutely mean this!).
- You’ll be taking ownership of substantive features within larger backend projects.
- Finally, you’ll participate in the definition of architectures and functional features for new project phases or new projects.
6 .Compensation, Benefits & Growth “This is what you get when you join Vizzuality”
Our compensation and benefits are part of a great career opportunity with the potential for you to grow and work in something with a massive transformational purpose. So if you really care about the real-world impact of your work and are inspired by our mission to transform the world, we can offer you:
Compensation & Benefits:
- A competitive salary. We are offering between 30K - 48K Euros (depending on your experience). This range is only an indication and we will agree your final salary together based on your specific experience and profile.
- A yearly bonus up to 10% of the salary
- Mental health support via Spill, our third party provider, to connect you with qualified counselors and curated resources.
- If you are based in Spain, you will get Health & Dental Insurance subsidized by the company.
- 22 Holiday Days + 1 Day for your birthday.
Work and Personal Life Integration:
- We are open to exploring full time and part time contracts options (with a minimum of 50% time dedication) depending on the candidate's needs.
- We have a remote-friendly culture with teammates located across four countries and 10 cities. We run all our meetings online, and create opportunities for the online experience to be better every day.
- We offer a flexible work environment and flexible hours, and as long as you do what you have to do, meet your objectives and coordinate accordingly with your team, we are not so worried if you work at the office, in a coffee shop, on your sofa at home, or at the beach!
Learning and working on new and interesting things is fun so we offer many opportunities to do so:
- A training allowance of 1300 €/year for courses, workshops, conferences or meetups of your choice, including travel and lodging.
- Get your hands on cool technology and applications to do your work, communicate, and build great things.
- You will work alongside a talented team of engineers, designers, and scientists with multiple backgrounds and skills.
- Peer mentoring.
- You will have the freedom to design a career path that suits your interests and growth needs.
- Support for giving talks and contributing to open source projects/initiatives that align with Vizzuality