Senior Finance Officer
Over 80 years ago, Albert Einstein helped create the International Rescue Committee (IRC). Today, we are a leading humanitarian and development organization working in more than 40 countries and 26 U.S. cities to help people whose lives and livelihoods are shattered by conflict and disaster to survive, recover, and gain control of their future. The IRC has been present in Liberia since 1996 serving as a lead partner in the health sector. The country program supports the Ministry of Health (MOH) in strengthening the health care systems and service delivery at all levels in accordance with the MOH national standards.
In recent years, IRC Liberia has deepened its commitment to supporting both local civil society organizations and community groups in their recovery efforts - first from the devastating civil war, the Ebola crisis, and now COVID-19.The Community Health Activity Project presents an opportunity to bring these critical elements together by strengthening civil society engagement in the delivery of health services and the rebuilding of health systems in Liberia.
Scope of Work::
The IRC has entered into a four-year cooperative agreement with USAID to implement the Community Health Activity project in Liberia.This project will strengthen the Liberian community health system to provide health care services in hard-to-reach areas while supporting sustainable country ownership of community-based health services, through technical assistance and capacity building of Ministry of Health (MOH)/County Health Teams (CHTs). This project will increase the coverage of service providers in underserved districts and improve their capacity to deliver quality health services while strengthening CHTs and communities’ capacity to plan, manage and monitor health services.In addition, the project will work directly with local civil society organizations (CSOs) at the county and community level, providing them with funding opportunities and strengthening their technical and operational capacity to play a key role in service delivery.
This new award is designed to build on the gains achieved under the previous USAID community health grant; “Partnership for Advancing Community-based Services (PACS)”, implemented by the IRC and partners. PACS supported the government to strengthen health systems, improve reproductive maternal and child health, as well as restore public confidence in health facilities and health staff. PACS also provided support to build the government of Liberia’s capacity to control infectious diseases and efforts to rebuild the health system.
USAID Community Health Activity Implementation Overview:
USAID - Community Health Activity is working in Lofa, Bong, Grand Kru, and River Gee to assist in the decentralization process and ensure that county and community-level systems are equipped to deliver high quality community-based services in line with key MOH strategies. The project staff will work alongside with MOH staff of the relevant units, and county officials in strengthening their capacity to effectively supervise and coordinate community-based health activities.
The project is working with local CSOs in Lofa and Bong who have experience in implementing community health services with geographic focus and experienced in managing restricted funding in delivering quality community health care services. The project will also offer local CSOs funding opportunities through sub-award mechanisms, complemented by technical training and a comprehensive capacity strengthening activities that will see local organizations skills and knowledge being strengthen over the course of the 4-year period.
This position will assist the project team with overseeing monetary disbursements and financial transparency within the county office. The SFO will work under the supervision of the CHC to ensure all financial and administrative issues related to the running of the project are properly managed. The SFO will provide technical support to the Community Health Coordinators in the field and the CSOs financial team to ensure compliance and adherence to IRC and USAID financial regulations.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Document Review and Control:
Field Office Monitoring, Training & Support:
- Acting as the primary liaison for the project office staff for policy or procedure questions.
- Providing training to County Program and admin staffs on IRC Financial procedures and requirements, assists the County admin and program staffs in finance related issues and activities.
Balance Sheet Accounts:
- Extracting balance sheet account reconciliations for the project on a timely basis ensuring differences or discrepancies are brought to the attention of the project Finance & Admin Director/AFC and that appropriate action is taken.
- Reconciling Advance Tracking Sheets with the balance sheet reconciliation
- Review of Payroll documents such as Time sheets, overtime reports, Staff allowances reports, staff per diems and all other payroll related reports to ensure accuracy and, adequate support documentation.
- Submitting the reviewed payroll reports for Staff to the project Finance & Admin Director for review in time for all staff to be paid by the last day of the month.
- Payment of cash to Incentive Staff and Volunteers and in time for all staff to receive their pay by the last day of the month.
- Payment of cash for hardship allowances, salary advances, staff per-diems and any other allowances as approved to Staff and distributed to the required staff in time.
The field finance staff will be the project first finance liaison with the partner(s) in training, reviewing partners’ financial report, and supporting in the partners’ monitoring. Sr. finance officer on the field with support the SCHC in the follow sub-partners’ activities:
- Partners financial report review at the field level before submission to the Country Office for final review.
- Following up with partners’ finance on outstanding issue.
- Partners’ share cost allocation at the field level.
- Serve as finance first representative in all partners’ monitoring process on the field.
- Support in the local partner’s capacity building in the finance area.
- Serve as liaison to the local partners for questions relating to IRC financial principles and procedures.
Key Working Relationships:
Position Reports to:Sr. Community Health Coordinator
Position directly supervises:Non
Indirect Reporting:Finance & Admin Director
Other Internal and/or external contacts:
Internal: Project Team, County Programs, and Operations