South | - | Daraa | Area Office | South Area
Who are we?
The Danish Refugee Council assists refugees and internally displaced persons across the globe: we provide emergency aid, fight for their rights, and strengthen their opportunity for a brighter future. We work in conflict-affected areas, along the displacement routes, and in the countries where refugees settle. In cooperation with local communities, we strive for responsible and sustainable solutions. We work toward successful integration and – whenever possible – for the fulfillment of the wish to return home.
The Danish Refugee Council was founded in Denmark in 1956, and has since grown to become an international humanitarian organization with more than 7,000 staff and 8,000 volunteers. Our vision is a dignified life for all displaced.
All of our efforts are based on our value compass: humanity, respect, independence and neutrality, participation, and honesty and transparency.
DRC has been actively operating in Syria since 2008 mainly supporting refugees. In June 2012, DRC was authorized by the Syrian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA) to expand its humanitarian efforts and provide assistance to IDPs and the vulnerable resident population countrywide. Since then, DRC activities have been focused on NFI distributions, Shelter, WASH, Protection, Education, Livelihoods and Mine Risk Education in six Governorates (Damascus, Rural Damascus, Dara'a, Aleppo, Hama, and Homs). While Protection/community service activities are provided to beneficiaries throughout our six Community Centers.
About the job
- Assists in the development and implementation of Safety policies, plans, and procedures in area of operation
- Provides advice on all Safety-related issues
Duties and Responsibilities
Reporting to the Area Manager and receiving technical guidance from the Safety Specialist, the SA supports the implementation of DRC’s Safety Risk Management System in order to protect the organization’s staff, assets, and reputation.
The Safety Assistant tasks include:
- Feeds Safety Risk Assessments with area-relevant context knowledge
- Implements and ensures compliance with DRC Minimum Operating Safety Standards
- Monitors and assists staff movements to/from other duty stations/areas
- Identifies Safety training needs at the field offices
- Assists the Safety Specialist in conducting Safety trainings throughout Syria
- Provides area-focused Safety briefings to visitors and newcomers
- Maintains a Safety equipment inventory and liaises with Supply Chain to ensure used and/or expired items get replaced, e.g., first aid material, fire extinguishers
- Facilitates the circulation of Safety-relevant WA messages
- Assists DRC Syria’s Incident Management Team
- Contributes to site assessments
- Enforces DRC’s non-weapon policy
- Minimum two years of relevant experience in handling Safety tasks.
- Proven ability to prioritize tasks and meet deadlines.
- Stable, moral, and robust character and a good team player.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Proven commitment to accountability practices.
- High personal and professional integrity.
- Decent familiarity with Microsoft Office, in particular PowerPoint
- Analytical skills
- Planning skills
- Stress resilient
- Relevant university degree or 2-year institute diploma
- Formal and documented first aid training and firefighting training is viewed favorably
Fluency in written and spoken Arabic and English
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’ five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Contract length: Until end of 31st of December (Extension based on funding and performance)
Level: I Non - Management
Location: South Area - Daraa - Syria
Expected Start date: 15th of September 2022
Interested? Then apply for this position by clicking on the apply button or the below link:
Direct apply link: Safety Assistant - Application Form (hr-manager.net)
All applicants must send a cover letter and an updated CV (no longer than four pages). Both must be in the same language as this vacancy note. CV only applications will not be considered.
Applications close18th of August 2022.
Need further information?
If you have questions or are facing problems with the online application process, please visit drc.ngo/job support.
For further information about the Danish Refugee Council, please consult our website www.drc.org