New York City
Background Information - Job-specific
Digital Services Section (DSS), is located in the Information Management Branch (IMB) of United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA). Its mandate is to strengthen the response capacity of the humanitarian relief community through the timely dissemination of reliable information on response, preparedness and disaster prevention.
DSS manages a portfolio of information services provided by OCHA for online audiences including ReliefWeb, ReliefWeb Response, and Humanitarian ID. This involves 24/7 oversight, content and operations management (NY, NBI, BKK) for all services; and a dedicated product management capacity to continuously improve delivery of relevant information via web, mobile or social channels to target audiences.
** Even though the duty station is listed as New York, USA, consideration may be given to allow the position to be home-based depending on the incumbent’s personal situation. For home-based position, EST time zone will be strongly preferred and a location-specific fee scale will be applied in determining the contractor’s fee.**
Under the direct supervision of the Digital Operations Assistant, the Programme Assistant will join the Operations team that facilitates the work of content and product teams within the Section.
The incumbent will be responsible for the following functions:I. Reports team management
- Act as primary point of contact for the content management team on matters related to administration, workflow and collaboration, scheduling and assignments, policies and guidance;
- Provide Quality Assurance support for all services and deliverables of the content management team
- Monitor and evaluate content management tasks, and escalate issues and risks to managers; make recommendations on productivity, performance and risk mitigations;
- Assess capacity requirements and manage scheduling of personnel; monitor and regularly report on the content management capacity, identify shortfalls in delivery, budget overruns, etc., and bring to the attention of the Digital Operations Assistant.
- Provide support for contractual arrangements, renewals, recruitment, onboarding, payroll, project budget projections and other administrative matters relating to the content management team personnel
II. Content management operations support
- Assist the Digital Operations Assistant in implementing, monitoring and maintaining standards, policies, workflows and guidelines for efficient and effective management of content management operations; undertake maintenance of content management tools and resources.
- Assist the Digital Operations Assistant in documenting and monitoring content projects and making strategic recommendations to team members and managers on a regular basis; manage conflicts and escalate issues as appropriate
- Support the configuration of productivity and collaboration tools and their knowledge management within the team;
III. Perform other duties as may be reasonably required and in line with the incumbent’s scope of services above.
- A high school diploma is required.
- A technical diploma in a relevant field may substitute 2 years of relevant experience.
- A Bachelor's degree in a relevant field is preferred and may substitute 4 years of relevant experience.
- A Master’s degree in a relevant field with some experience may substitute 5 years of relevant experience.
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in programme or project administration, technical cooperation or related area.
- Digital information literacy as well as knowledge of basic Internet standards and technologies (i.e. Microsoft Office 365 products)
Desirable: (the following experience is optional; candidates who do not have it are welcome to apply):
- Experience with digital content products;
- Experience working on distributed teams;
- Experience with Agile project management methodologies, such as Kanban;
- Good knowledge of and hands-on expertise with Salesforce configuration;
- Good knowledge of and hands-on expertise with data analytics like Power BI;
- Familiarity with international affairs, including emergency response, disaster management, peacebuilding and peacekeeping, conflict resolution, human rights and IHL
- Strong communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to show initiative and work both independently and as part of a team
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Fluency English (read, write, speak) is required;
- Working knowledge of another UN language (French and/or Spanish) is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
Contract type: Individual Contractor Agreement (ICA) Contract level: Local Individual Contractor Agreement (L-ICA 5)
Contract duration: 1 Year with the possibility of extension, subject to the availability of funds
This is not a position in UNOPS. UNOPS is solely providing operational support to its partner UNOCHA for this recruitment process. The selected candidate will be a personnel member of UNOCHA under its full responsibility and salaries and benefits will be decided by UNOCHA.
|Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion. |
|Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.|
|Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).|
|Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.|
|Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.|
|Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.|
|Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.|
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS – an operational arm of the United Nations – supports the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by successfully implementing its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian, and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve peace and sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management, and human resources.
Working with us
We are proud of our people. With a wealth of knowledge and skills in various disciplines – engineering, finance, human resources, ICT, leadership, project management, procurement, and more – they help tackle some of the biggest challenges of our time. Their work around the world supports progress toward the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
At UNOPS, we offer a range of short- and long-term opportunities in various environments and duty stations – from Denmark and Kenya to Mexico, Switzerland, Myanmar, Senegal, Uganda, and many more.
With over 5,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,400 personnel recruited on behalf of our partners, spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced and diverse labor force — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs. We continually strive to maintain our gender-balanced workplace. We encourage qualified underrepresented groups as per UNOPS Gender, Diversity, and Inclusion Strategy to apply for our vacancies.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types.
However, we have found similar vacancies for you: